Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:57 am 

Hi All-

Thanks for all the kind words, and sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I've not been a registered WIX user up 'til now, and it's just taken me a while to get this done.

While it is certainly a great thing to get this rating done, it would have been impossible without the support, talent, and resources of our little crew. I can't say enough about the skill, tallent, resourcefulness, and sheer determination of our folks. It's truly humbling to see how much good has been done with so little.

Thanks to all, both my intrepid friends and our well wishers at large. I look forward to next season and getting HS out in front of the masses!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:09 pm 

For those for whom it isn't immediately plain, Bubba is the new handle of our own Long Tall Glen, recently of checkride-passin' fame.

Way to get registered on WIX, Bubba Glen! Keep the posts coming!

------------------------------

Support "Hot Stuff"
Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon of the
American Military Heritage Foundation
http://www.amhf.org

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:39 am 

Gary Hilton....I zoomed in on that surplus PV picture up as far as I could but can't make out the number back by the tail. I can't tell if it is an "N" number or the BuAer number.

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:22 am 

Gary,

That pic was only an old, faded, blurry snapshot. What you see on screen is about as good as it gets, unfortunately.

It turns me green, though, looking at those pylons on its wings. I sure wish I could get my hands on a set of those for Hot Stuff. And who knows what other furnishings were still installed in that plane?

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:31 pm 

Glen (Bubba)

Congrats on the checkride :D :D :D

Wish I could have been there to get some pictures/video of the flight.

Guess we'll just have to get some after the fact.

Hope to get back out soon.

Warren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:46 pm 

Sure looks nice! Thanks for all the updates.

Matt Jolley
www.warbirdradio.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:37 am 

Warren!! Glad to hear from you! I managed to loose your contact info, hence our not calling you for our recent ops. Sorry- plz resend your contact info, pref to Jen and I thru a PM.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:17 pm 

Message sent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:02 pm 

Hi WIXers,

It's nearly time for another maintenance day, so it seems to me that I'd better get the post for the last one up on the board before it's too late. Here we go, then:

Mainly, we've been working through correcting the various minor discrepancies revealed by the 30-hour, and doing the ongoing projects. This, of course, involves plenty of opening up things, looking/rummaging about inside, and closing things back up again. Busily involved in such business is PJ, depicted above giving yours truly plenty of lip, as usual.

The Official Camera of IndyJen is now as dead as dead can be, and so we are reduced to borrowing from others, and to begging others to please go take a freakin' picture willya. This generally results in the scene pictured above, in which I am told that can't you see we are busy, and go take it yourself why don't you.

So, not too awfully many pics once again this week, but hopefully the camera situation will be resolved shortly.

This interesting angle is looking down into the tailwheel through the raised tail-flap. Old Lockheed twin-tail twins have a common feature, in which there's a hinged flap where the elevator crosses the fuselage. When the elevator goes up, the flap goes with it, lending that much more up-elevator authority. When the elevator goes down, the spring-loaded flap follows it as far as the fuselage.

President Rich is down in there, working on the tailwheel position transmitter. This is something that has given us recurring fits for the six years I've been with the plane. We now have a new old stock transmitter, courtesy of Intercontinental Avionic of Tyler Hill, PA, who are tremendous supporters of the old bird (thanks Bob and Arlene!). We have high hopes for a good solid indicating circuit with this new addition.

There's Rich from a more usual vantage point. He is helping Electrical Guru Roy with this project, and they think they're closing in on it. They're also wrapping up the installation of a pair of oil cooler shutter position indicators.

Meanwhile, Machine Shop Gaylon was doing his inspections. Here he is, buttoning up the right nacelle. In that area are lots of fluid lines and check valves, which have to be looked at. We found one hose coupling at the oil diverter valve that is showing signs of wearing out, so we'll be replacing that.

The oil system consists of lots of hard line sections joined by six-inch bits of hose, attached with hose clamps, and it's one of those bits of hose that will be giving up the ghost if it's not attended to. It's at a connection at the oil diverter valve for No. 1 engine. These planes saw service all over the Pacific, but they were built to handle the coldest, most miserable conditions. One feature was the ability to dilute the oil with fuel prior to shutting down. This would give you nice, thin, freely-flowing oil when starting up in frigid temps. As the oil warmed up, the fuel would vaporize out of the system, and the oil would be back to normal.

The diverter valve is what took care of that job. You didn't dilute the whole 20 gallons of oil; you'd dilute the portion in the oil tank's "standpipe," which is where the engine draws oil from until the oil warms up.

So, there's likely more than you ever wanted to know about the PV-2 oil system, but that's what we have been elbow-deep in, so what can you do?

This weekend, we'll be inspecting the flap system, and checking the flap control rigging. There ought to be some photogenic goings-on, if we can get someone to take pics ...

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:28 pm 

Hello WIXers,

(Will WIX eat this post before it publishes? It'll be the third time in a row, if so--keep your fingers crossed!)

The holiday season is upon us at the Hot Stuff ramp, just as it is for everyone else. The AMHFers are scrambling, and their schedules are pulling them this way and that. But still work progresses out on the ramp. That old airplane isn't going to maintain itself, after all.

But even with the workload, there's still gotta be time for the festive occassions, and this past Saturday saw the gang at the Piercy house--that's Machine Shop Gaylon and wife Sandy, who have appeared in these pages frequently. They put on a heck of a nice shindig at their lovely home, and stuffed us all like turkeys with food and drink and conviviality. Thanks again for your hospitality, Gaylon and Sandy!

Out at the ramp earlier, the work was all around correcting the remaining discrepancies from the 30-hour. That is all wrapped up now, and Hot Stuff is buttoned up and good to go.

Among the items that were checked off was the tailwheel indication circuit, which has been an ongoing saga for Electrical Guru Roy and President Rich for some weeks now. The new sending unit (selsyn) is installed, that item being on hand thanks to our generous friends at Intercontinental Avionic of Tyler Hill, PA; and beyond that, a good deal of New is likewise to be found in the harnesses, terminals, and j-boxes intervening between it and the indicator. A good, solid, reliable indication is what we're getting now.

Pictured is Rich, elbow-deep in the tailwheel well, with pilot Scotty kibitzing.

Most of the rest of the crew were busy all day with the flap system. Regular inspection and servicing chores, for the most part, but also investigation of some "sloppiness" in the flap control that surfaced recently.

Pictured above are the left flaps, nearly fully deployed. Eyes and ears on the whole business and all its components--flaps, hydraulics, tracks, carriages, cables, and pulleys--through several cycles of the things, hunting for noises, binding, fraying, wear, leaks, and you name it.

Once they'd been exercised, the hydraulic system was drained, line filter changed, and refilled. There we see PJ and Hot Rod Steve in the forward bomb bay, draining the system. In the compartment over their heads is the main rack of actuator valves--flaps, bomb bay, and gear--and the line filter.

And there's PJ shortly afterward, in the accumulator compartment, getting the filter casing off. Like many other things, there's just no real good way of getting to this item. If only elbows bent the other direction.

In the gun nose, just forward of her, was Scotty, working on the flap control rigging.

Like the other pedestal controls, the flap handle is attached via cables to a torque tube. Its output arm is attached via a pushrod to the control arm on the flap actuator valve. That pushrod is what Scotty is working on--troubleshooting finally narrowed it down to that point in the system. It wasn't what we expected; we were already working ourselves up to a bout of valve overhaul, looking up o-ring part numbers and whatnot, when Scotty got that rod out of there.

There it is, a threaded rod with two fork clevises on the end of it. One of those forks was wallowed out, and was floppy where it should be firm, and on top of that had worked itself out of place, causing the rod to lengthen. It was not a long job for Long Tall Glen and Scotty to correct all this, and make it good and solid again, adjusted to the book length of 7 and 25/32 in. Now we're good to go in the flap control department, because the valve itself is fine after all.

Just because I took the picture and might as well use it, there we have the other end of the flap control system, the actuator ram. It lives in the carry-through box that lies athwart the cabin floor just forward of the door. It hydraulically rams back and forth, carrying with it the cat's cradle of cables that do the grunt work of moving the flaps up and down the tracks.

For the rest of it, we also pulled, inspected, cleaned, and replaced the two fuel strainers, one in each nacelle. We see PJ, there, messing with the access panels of No. 1. I think she's buttoning up, here.

That's about it for this time, WIXers. Upcoming, PJ and intend to start getting down some of the restoration parts we've accumulated, and start working on installations. Flying season is about over, barring a staging hop to the hangar location, which is only a rumor at this point (but yes please, Santa!). Otherwise, we're likely to be right here, freezing, and on to the winter maintenance cycle.

Till next time,

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:31 am 

Hi WIXers,

We have a new post up in the RetroAviation thread, if you're interested:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33236

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:36 pm 

No postings of late, you all staying warm or what???

Any news or weekly maintenance updates??

Jen, PJ, Bubba (Glen)????

What's going on......

Warren

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:34 am 

Hi Warren,
The Hot stuff crew has been taking some time off for the holidays. We are waiting for the other new engine to arrive (hopefully there will be a break in the cold and snow when that happens). We still didn't score a hangar for the winter, so the pictures of engine work will show the same frigid background.
I do have some original photos of Harpoons back in the day that Jenny was kind enough to scan for me, so I'll try and get them posted today.
Thanks for asking about us,

PJ
PV-2 harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:37 am 

Hi Warren, and all you other WIXers too,

Sorry for the lack of updates in recent weeks. With the holidays, and the extreme cold the last couple weeks to boot, we haven't had much going on out there. I've been having a bit of personal turmoil as well, which is getting in the way of writing much in any case.

PJ has been augmenting her (fairly impressive) stash of historical materials, and she promises to put up a post with interesting old photos of these birds back in the day. I scanned 'em for her, and so I have them too, but I'm not going to steal her thunder.

But get with it already PJ, will you! :wink:

The weather has dumped snow on us the past couple days, and tomorrow's forecast is for bitter cold, so it is most likely that we won't be working this weekend, either.

Our attempts to find an indoor winter home, even for a few weeks' duration, have apparently fallen through, so it's outside work for us from here on out. We are awaiting delivery on our new starboard engine--the overhauler (our friends at Anderson Airmotive in Boise, ID) is finished, test runs complete, and it's just waiting for a truck. This engine is the first benefit we've seen from receiving our status as a Historical Place, which happened last year due to the efforts of former President Penny, and also through the ongoing efforts of Electrical Guru Roy, current President Rich, and Machine Shop Gaylon in landing the grant that bought it.

So, yes, yet another engine change is looming--under the requirements of the grant, we have to have it installed by June. No problemo; we have a crew that's well experienced in these matters now. Unlike previous evolutions, we are not replacing a locked-up engine; our current No. 2 is still a fine-running engine. So we will exercise all due care with it, and pickle it properly for storage, and have a working spare in the hangar. Boy, will that be nice!

But first we have to get the thing to Indianapolis.

Anyhow WIXers, we'll be back at work on the hardware within the next couple weeks. By then, I will have acquired a working camera, and we'll be back to the regular updates, I promise.

Till then ... c'mon PJ, give the people something interesting to look at--make with the historical-photo post, already!

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:48 am 

Alright, I'll get you started with these:

Here's a flight of PV-2 Harpoons over California in a Lockheed photo:

Unknown Harpoon in an unknown location. Looks like overall dark blue reserve paint scheme:

Unknown PV-1 squadron. Location is unknown.

If anyone has any insight into the squadron or location of the 2nd and 3rd photos, please feel free to say so.
More photos later.

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next