Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:04 am 

PJ,
Great in-flight shots from a vantage point that the vast majority of us will never see.
Thanks again for all your work keeping a rare warbird in the air for us to enjoy, even if vicariously.
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm 

You're more than welcome John. As I say, I know just how fortunate I am and I don't take it lightly.

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:20 pm 

Hi WIXers,

Now that she doesn't have to be the crew chief all the time, you can't pry PJ out of that turret. It is an extremely cool seat for flying in.

Here we are coming up on the end of the season, and it's been some year for me, and for the rest of the crew, and for Hot Stuff. Very gratifyingly, this season has seen her back in the skies where she belongs, and that's where she'll be again tomorrow.

We have a fly-over for a one-day-early Veteran's Day Salute at the nearby town of Shelbyville (which is where yours truly keeps her own plane) and environs, so we're looking forward to a good hop.

Right there is one of ours from back in the day, a VPB-200 Harpoon from Fleet Air Wing Five. The man who provided the picture flew on that plane back in the day, and he's flying with us in Hot Stuff on tomorrow's hop.

And any day you fly in a Harpoon is a good day!

This past maintenance day, our dedicated workers took time to view the very nice Hot Stuff article in the recently-arrived Flightpath Magazine, a publication from Australia edited by WIXer JDK. A very high-quality publication is Flightpath, and the workers' morale was improved at the sight of our old bird in its pages.

But work goes on, especially when there's a hop in the offing, no matter what interest the reading material may hold. Normal maintenance and preparations for the coming hop. She's all serviced and good to go, awaiting the morning's preflight.

President Rich, above, and Electrical Guru Roy were working on the tailwheel indication. The sending unit (selsyn) can't be resurrected, they've determined, but PJ has found a couple sources of replacement units.

I would say that if Roy there can't resurrect the thing, it's a goner. In the meantime, the crew chief continues to have the job of looking back and "calling the tailwheel" when the gear is moved.

Mount Comfort Airport has gotten some airport infrastructure money, and has been redoing all of the taxiways all summer long. Dusty, you bet. We'll wash the plane off in the morning.

Even with that, a good deal of belly-cleaning, and scrubbing off the leavings of our friends the birdies, took place, as we see with PJ and Hot Rod Steve, above.

PJ took pains to prepare her favorite seat for a good day's viewing during the flight. We'll be darkening the skies above her Rushville abode on our way home, and there will no doubt be more photos from her.

Steve Rider will be tomorrow's pilot, and Machine Shop Gaylon is our right-seater. Crew Chief is me, with WIXer Johnny Gearpin getting his first FAM hop.

And there'll be the aforementioned PV-2 WW2 vet aboard as well. More on that when we come to the post-hop report!

till next time,

------------------------------

Support "Hot Stuff"
Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon of the
American Military Heritage Foundation
http://www.amhf.org

Last edited by IndyJen on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:08 pm 

o thAfter cleaning the turret plexi last Saturday i was rewarded with this view of my house yesterday(to the left of the nacelle)..

We flew over Rushville on the way to and from the school fly-over at Shelbyville. Needless to say, my neighbors were busy crapping themselves as we thundered overhead. I will let Jenny fill in the rest of the story.

Happy Veteran's Day to all.

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:35 pm 

Hi WIXers,

Yes, it was a fine one-day-before-Veteran's Day flyover event in Shelbyville Indiana yesterday, and in nearby locations as well, because Hot Stuff doesn't stand still in the air. One we launch, the whole neighborhood gets to see and hear her, that's for sure.

Not least among these other places was the ancestral homestead of the PJ Clan, over which we shattered the atmosphere on two non-consecutive occassions (going out and coming home). PJ got some fine pictures from the turret--my favorite is that one she posted up above in the thread, looking forward as we sweep over her place. But she had plenty more where that came from.

Right there we have Hot Rod Steve peeking out the Navigator's cupola, taken by PJ in the turret just aft of him.

Accompanying us on this event as planned was Lee Pense, who served as a PV-2 Radioman-gunner back when these machines were new. Lee flew with Patrol Bombing Squadron (VPB) 200 and Fleet Air Wing Five out of Midway Island. Lee crewed a lot of war patrols in Navy bombers, mainly Venturas and Harpoons.

There he is, re-visiting his old office--or one of them, anyhow--in Hot Stuff. He and I talked a bit about the restoration project we're doing on his other office, too: the radio operator's compartment, which is where the crew chief works, nowadays. We have the requisite items, and this winter is when we're planning to install it all.

And there's a shot of Lee and friends piled up on top of a PV-1 at Boca Chica, Florida, at air gunnery school. Lee helped test the MK-18 gunsight towards the end of the war, and as PJ happens to own a pristine MK-18 herself, they had plenty to talk about there.

There's our man again, with son Mike and daughter-in-law Robin, and our own President Rich, right after arrival on our ramp. The crew was wrapping up preparations at that point, well ahead of schedule, so there was plenty of time to show folks around and talk about Harpoon lore.

We were up for a good one point eight on the day, but we weren't sure at first if the weather would let us go at all.

That's a good look at conditions as they were when the crew arrived (full of coffee and eggs from the place down the road). Visibility and ceiling, not there for us. We went ahead and did the preparations, and when the time came, were able to get off after all.

One more of ol' Lee Pense, there; he's the young man in front, second from left. He's an enjoyable fellow, full of stories, and we just ate him up with a spoon.

One story of his, my favorite, had him out there on the range, testing that MK-18 turret sight (consumer report: it worked great, says Lee, but if your pilot did too much evasive maneuvering, the predictor gyros would tumble--but they'd come back pretty quick). There were a couple B-26's towing target sleeves for the PV gunners to shoot at.

When it was all done, one of the B-26's pulled alongside Lee's ship in the unmistakable "Wanna Race?" gesture, and "sure" said Lee's pilot. So the B-26 throttled up, and so did Lee's pilot ... on one throttle. The other engine, he feathered. Still beat that B-26 back to base, you know, by a wide margin.

Oh, those Navy guys and their stories! I just don't get tired of having such fellows come visit. When else can you witness another human being be in two places at one time? Modern Harpoon Hot Stuff, and wartime PV, both in their eyes at the same moment.

That's the story of the week so far, WIXers. It's been a good one, operationally speaking, and we're likely to fly some more before the week is over. More on that, and no doubt more pics, when it's time.

Till next time,

Support "Hot Stuff"

Last edited by IndyJen on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

IndyJen wrote:

This past maintenance day, our dedicated workers took time to view the very nice Hot Stuff article in the recently-arrived Flightpath Magazine, a publication from Australia edited by WIXer JDK. A very high-quality publication is Flightpath, and the workers' morale was improved at the sight of our old bird in its pages.

Heh. IndyJen is hiding her light under a bushel, because that article was penned by her. She also went and promoted me to Ed, I'm actually one of the deputy Eds, but a compliment's always nice.

Big thanks to the Hot Stuff crew for the subject matter, and glad the article got there and looks good!

Cheers,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:22 pm 

Hello WIXers,

The following message is brought to you by the American Military Heritage Foundation:

Yes, at last Long Tall Glen has had his type rating checkride, and has been added to the ranks of PV-2 Harpoon left seaters. Congratulations, Glen!

He's worked ridiculously long and hard for this day. So have the rest of us, you bet. But it was an excellent hop. Plane and pilot-wise, there's really nothing to report but good things.

In the picture above, we have the crew. There's Glen, and Machine Shop Gaylon in back. PJ rode in the turret, as she always will if given half a chance. The check airman, there on the right, is Bob Davis. Steve Rider flew in the right seat for this hop, as for many preceding training hops. And President Rich is there, peeking over my shoulder.

And there's the scene as the temporary ATP with LB-34 (which is what you call a PV-2 if you're the FAA) type rating is prepared. Glen was later required (by the long-suffering maintenance crew) to produce the thing for inspection. Hopefully we'll soon see a second one: if schedules permit the checkride to be scheduled while flying weather lasts, we will, by golly.

Anyhow, WIXers, that's about it. We've done a good deal of flying this week, and the plane has performed like a champion in all respects. You might think--and you might be right--that she likes to be flown and exercised!

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:50 pm 

Glen, congratulations to you, sir!

Nice work! One day hope to have you in N7454C, perhaps taking us from A to B. What a tremendous amount of work to get where you are today, and thank you for doing it. It's appreciated more than you know. You're among a great group of folks.

-Rob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Way to go Glen...congrats! Great to see another LB-34 operator! Great job to the rest of the crew for keeping HS purring!
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm 

Hello everyone,

Here I sit, watching the History Channel World War Two documentary and looking at the computer. Especially at the pictures Steve Rider has posted on his facebook page.

Here's one of them:

That's a heck of a view, right there.

During our week's flying last week, we over-flew a school in Shelbyville, Indiana. The school must have had a grant or something, because they had both our old bird and an Air Force tanker flying over. But I already told that story above in the thread.

The Shelbyville newspaper did a story about it (front page, no less), and here's the picture that they ran with with it:

Those faces are just priceless. Yes, everyone loved it, all right. Our man Machine Shop Gaylon, who set it up, had a fine phone conversation with an enthusiastic teacher, who reported a bunch of ecstatic children. A short time afterwards, we got a packet of letters from kids and teachers. We enjoyed them a lot, and so I concocted a response.

I thought you all might like to see it too, so here it is. I bet you can gauge the tenor of the questions we received from the kids, by the answers we're giving ...

-----

Dear students and teachers of Coulston Elementary,

Thank you for your very nice letters to the crew of Hot Stuff. We enjoyed the flight, and are glad we could help you commemorate Veterans Day.

My name is Jennifer Thompson. I am a lead mechanic on the PV-2 Harpoon, as is Mr. Piercy. I was flying as flight engineer, or "crew chief," that day over your school. Mr. Piercy and I read your charming letters with great pleasure, but we noticed many questions within them, so we will try to answer them.

Many of you seem to have enjoyed the flight as much as we did! Clearly, you all are right-thinking fans of old historic airplanes, and I salute you for it. But let us move on to the questions:

Jessalyn, I wish we could do barrel rolls, too! Hot Stuff is not made for aerobatics, unfortunately. But she has a pair of enormous engines, and is fast and noisy, and blasts through the skies. It is still pretty exciting to fly in her, even when right side up.

Katie wishes to know why the plane is named Hot Stuff. The plane has been called "Hot Stuff" for many years, since long before my time with her. I understand that the name was first painted on the Harpoon on account of a restaurant promotion. Over the years, the restaurant has long been forgotten, but the "Hot Stuff" name has really become associated with our plane, and it's now how she's known all across the country.

Ethan mentions that he might like to become a pilot in the Marines some day. Harpoons were flown by the Marines as well as by the Navy back in World War Two, in fact. As it happens, I myself was a sergeant in the Marine Corps, once upon a time (in the 1970s), and served in the Second Marine Air Wing. And coincidentally, November 10--the day we flew over your school--was the 234th birthday of the Marine Corps. So Semper Fi, Ethan and everyone else!

Yuki mentions that she would like to ride on a plane like the Harpoon some day. I am with you there, Yuki! There's nothing else to compare with flying in the sky. You and your classmates might like to know of the Young Eagles Program of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association). At their "young eagles days", which happen at many airports during the summer, kids can get a free hop in a small plane of some kind. Mr. Piercy and I have flown such flights; we both have airplanes at Shelbyville Airport, in fact.

Everyone, by the way, is welcome to come see the PV-2 up close and personal, on the ground, any time when we're working on her, which is most weekends. We are at Mount Comfort Airport, east of Indianapolis.

Jayda inquires how much fuel it takes to get Hot Stuff in the air. Well, I guess the answer depends on what we plan to do with her. I don't think we'd ordinarily take off for a trip with less than 250 to 300 gallons of fuel on board, but just to start engines, warm up, taxi out to the runway, and take off, we figure on using about 15 gallons of fuel. At cruise, we burn around 170 gallons per hour. When we push the throttles to takeoff power, our two engines burn fuel at a rate of 600 gallons per hour!

From the time we start rolling until we're off the ground and wheels retracting--which is where we reduce power--is about 30 seconds. So, if 600 gallons per hour equals 10 gallons per minute, it looks like it takes five gallons of gas to get the Harpoon into the air, if you don't count anything but the takeoff roll.

She burns a lot of gas, any way you look at it.

Many of you asked about poor Mike, who got queasy during the flight. We don't often have people getting sick in the plane. But you know, it was a little bouncy up there, and different people are affected differently . He didn't get terribly sick, and we had a barf bag available for him, so there wasn't any mess, and it didn't smell. Mike was still glad he got to go on the flight, and actually was only feeling sick for a little while.

His father, Mr. Lee Pense, flew many missions on Harpoons back during World War Two, and he was very happy to be able to fly aboard a Harpoon again, after so many years. He was a radioman and turret gunner on Harpoons.

In closing, thanks again for your many kind letters. It is gratifying to know that we have such appreciative supporters as you! I do encourage you to come out and see us, and see our good old bird up close and personal.

IndyJen

(Mr. Piercy, also known as Machine Shop Gaylon in these pages, adds:)

Thanks Jenny that was a great job. I think one of the students asked if ”Hot Stuff" had dropped bombs during the war. The answer is yes and no. She would have done practice to see that everything worked ok but she never actually made it into the war. She left the Lockheed factory in California and was on the way up to Alaska to be put in service. However she only made it as far as Whidbey Island, Washington when the war ended. She could carry a combination of the following. 8- 5inch HVAR rockets; 2-1000 lbs. bombs could be carried on the wings in place of drop tanks; 4000lbs in bombs and depth charges in the bombay. Now add in the 9- 50 caliber machine guns and she became a very mean machine. Most of the war birds you see flying today did not see action. Like "Hot Stuff" they just didn't get there. Then when they were retired from service and put up for sale organizations like ours could purchase one restore it and keep it as a living piece of history as is “Hot Stuff”

I too would like to thank you for having us participate in your Veterans program. Like Jenny I also am a veteran. I served in the U.S. Army from November of 1964 to November of 1966 part of that time being in Vietnam.

If you would like to follow what is happening with "Hot Stuff" you can visit our web site amhf.org and follow the link to the War Bird exchange. Jenny has a continuous article of the things we are doing and what is going on with "Hot Stuff".

Hope all of you can visit us at the plane some day.

Gaylon

-----

There you have it, WIXers. Till next time,

Support "Hot Stuff"

Last edited by IndyJen on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:11 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Fantastic in flight shot of HS's belly, and the ground at the same time! Talk about a Kodak moment, and I mean with both pictures....those faces say it all! With all the grandkids I have, I can just hear the screams of excitement!!! Job well done Hot Stuff crew!!!

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:05 pm 

Thanks, Gary! That was a fun day. I had a phone call from WW2 Vet Le's son last night saying how much fun they had and how it brought back a lot of memories for his dad. It's great that when those kids become our ages they will say "I remember once when we were little, this big blue bomber came zooming around over our school!" You never know when you're making a memory. :D

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

IndyJen wrote:

That is a sweet attack pic! Scratch one spamcan. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:02 am 

Hi WIXers,

Happy Thanksgiving-plus-one to everyone! I hope it's been a good one for anybody who's reading. This year, it's a two-day celebration for yours truly. By the end of the day, you'll be within your rights, no doubt, to just call me "Shamu."

A few days ago, I noticed a new board on the WIX, the RetroAviation Maintenance Hangar. Having had this thread going for over a year now, I didn't want to abandon it, but why not have a Hot Stuff presence in the new place, too? So, now there's two threads going--this one, and the "Hot Stuff Maintenance Report" in the new place:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... 26&t=33236

The plan: I'll post updates to whichever thread seems most appropriate for the topic at hand, with crosslinks from one to the other, to allow easy finding.

Today the flight schedule for Hot Stuff has a practice hop for Scotty, who is next in line to get his PV-2 (LB-34) type rating. The weather may or may not allow it. If the hop goes as scheduled, PJ will be crew chief, and hopefully she will get us a few pics of the goings-on.

Meanwhile, here's a gratuitous Harpoon picture, retrieved a little while back from the bottom of a file-cabinet drawer, out there on the Hot Stuff ramp:

Pretty clearly a PV-2D, and it looks like it's sitting out in a field someplace, waiting for someone to give it a home. I wonder if this might be the one that the CAF Wisconsin Wing had for a while? And I wonder what's up with that one.

The regular weekly maintenance day will proceed Saturday, and we have a few items to keep us busy. We'll put out a fresh report later in the weekend.

Till then,

Support "Hot Stuff"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:33 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Gotta love all the hardware hangin' off the bottom of the wings! Any "N" numbers legible on your print? Or on the Lodestar in the background??? Wisconson PV-2...I believe it's at Cavanaugh's museum in Tx....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next