Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: What's Up with Hot Stuff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:12 pm 

Hello, WIX people. Allow me to introduce myself.

I work with WIXer PJ maintaining the AMHF's PV-2 Harpoon, Hot Stuff.

We are in the process of changing our left engine, an R2800-31.

We tried and failed to resurrect a junked R-2800 back in the summer. We thought we had it, too, only two inches of manifold pressure short of passing ground tests and running like a champion. But the front main bearing was bad, and it locked up on shutdown that last time. I was running the engine on that run, too, and you know that feels bad.

Now it's come back from the overhaul shop, one week ago. We're safetying the things that need safetying, and we will be putting it on the mount this weekend. We'll build up the quick engine change kit after that, with accessories, carb, cowl flaps, nose ring, and the like, and then hang it on the wing.

One good thing about having gone through the painful failed attempted rebuild is that our crew is well experienced with engine and prop changes.

I am planning to get pictures galore and describe what's going on in this process, and I will post all this to the WIX if you'd be interested. Or at least I'll do so if no one hollers "stop!"

At some point, I intend to start an AMHF blog, too, to show what's going on out there. Our small crew has been maintaining a fairly strong maintenance tempo for a good long time, now that I think of. We have been hopping, staying on top of airworthiness issues for years. We have reached the point where we can have restoration projects going, too. Hot Stuff will be flying this coming season, and she will be showing a lot of New.

So apart from the exhaustion, it's a pretty exciting time out at Hot Stuff. If I can ever figure it out, I will try to attach one photo anyway: an image of the engine arriving in the shop. Great is the happiness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yes, please DO post pictures and a "running narrative" as you do the engine changes. I think most people on here would appreciate any info you're willing to give us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:49 pm 

Please post the pics. The PV-2 is a great plane. Besides, Pooner needs the motivation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Chris wrote:
Please post the pics. The PV-2 is a great plane. Besides, Pooner needs the motivation.

Yeah, we are on our way to a Poon forum. :shock:

All welcome!

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome aboard! I'm also in favor of a running narrative on things 'poonish' sucesses as well as defeats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:44 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for the info and all the hard work on "Hot Stuff." I've really missed it the past couple years. It will be nice to see such a unique and well cared for aircraft on the airshow circuit again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Please post all the pictures you want. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From another who used to bash on a 'Poon years ago: Commence firing more PV-2 pics!

By the way, planning any trips up to cheeseland for 2009?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 pm 

What shop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:08 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Welcome aboard. It will be good to see Hot Stuff back in the air again!

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:14 pm 

Thanks for the feedback! Narratives and pictures to follow.

Somebody asked up above, so: this is the PV-2 belonging to the American Military Heritage Foundation (AMHF), Indianapolis IN. The plane is based at a satellite Indy airport--Mt. Comfort.

We usually have crews working Wednesdays and Saturdays, and more when there's a big push and/or the chance to get her indoors.

While we've been waiting for the engine to come back from the overhaul shop (Anderson Airmotive of Boise, ID), we've been pushing ahead with the rest of the annual. About seventy percent done with that.

I expect tomorrow's activities to include completing the flap rigging and putting this engine on the mount. I'll take pics and post up a description of the goings-on Sunday morning, most likely.

We're trying to get to this:

before we get to this:

IndyJen
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"

Notes: the top photo is of the same engine we're working on now, being installed during the failed attempt at getting it back into service. The bottom photo was winter before last, I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That is SOOOOOO wrong! Makes me cold just looking at her! You all must be doing a good job with her as she doesn't looks like she lives outside. Being a Navy plane, you use Turtle Wax?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:37 am 

Dan K, we'd totally love to come up to cheeseland in '09. We don't have anything on the schedule at this point. Points of contact for bookings would e welcome.

Not having a hangar makes maintenance that much harder, but I guess it gives us an appreciation for those hard-working boys up there in the Aleutians. Except in the summer, when it gives us an appreciation for those hard-working boys down there in the Solomons. We sure do end up replacing corroded fasteners at a much greater rate.

And nope, that's only paint, no wax. We do our best to keep her clean, is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:47 pm 

From one Harpoon lover to another...you guys and gals are TOP NOTCH!! I hope all goes well with the engine change and the up-coming season...I have alot of micro-film prints I'm sending you this week..hope they help with the interior...sorry it's taken so long
:oops: Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Jen, what are the odds of getting a walkaround and "in" and "through" shoot of Hot Stuff?those are awesome shots, of a beautiful aircraft! I wish I could have shoved you off that fork and run it myself :) (not that I would begrudge you the right to the job)

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next