Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:14 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yeah, you're right. Dismantle it and call in the Hercs (or C-5's)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:29 pm 

Kevin,

Thanks for your additional input and well-wishes.

I am not close enough to the project to say why the cut joint was moved from where it was normally done. I do know they were looking at original blueprints and thought that it would be better to move them inboard slightly. This may have been an effort to "narrow" the assembly for easier transport, though. Especially when they were trucking the 90 or so feet of fuselage as one piece. They did not just cut randomly. It was done for a reason. I wish I knew more.

I agree, the cut could have been straighter, but those were volunteer firefighters using their equipment to help out. The equipment and personnel loan was invaluable from all of the different groups to make saving it possible.

Yes, the Wichita splices have been developed by aerospace engineers in regards to the unique situation. The fix is different from the other B-47 static display. Wichita engineers co-designed the B-29, B-47, B-52, Air Force One, as well as a good portion of the civil and general aviation fleet that exists today. They are very adept at computer modeling and putting all of the strength back in.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a passion for defending any museum efforts.

It is nice, though the wing installation problems are unique to the B-47.

Best Wishes to all and the EC-121T
Edward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:24 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I seem to recall on the OKC bird that there was a time crunch as well as the inevitable money issues. It was kind of like the movie "Airport" you move it NOW or we move it with the snowplows! Better it be moved and saved, damaged though it may be, rather than face the scrappers! I doubt there was ever ANY consideration that it would be anything but a static display. That will be a big enough job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:59 pm 

Yeah six figures, maybe $300,000 or more especially if you want them to put it back together. Again if they could get that B29 in the frozen north in flying condition, this one should be a walk in the park. Because you don't have to ship and fly the supplies and tools thousands of miles to do it. And isn't money spent on parts awhole lot better than just giving it away for the trucking? The only expediture is the gas to do it. And so far the price is comming down. It could probably be flown out for 1/3 or less the cost of trucking it. And as long as it makes it with out dropping outa the sky, you don't have a bunch of parts sitting around to loose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

retroaviation wrote:
If you do a Google Maps search of the Helena, Montana airport, you'll see that even to get the airplane over to an area where it could taxi, you'd have to disassemble it, as they've already got it boxed in with buildings.

Don't know if you guys read Gary's post, but it seems if it leaves, it will be on a truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:24 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Still working on it, but it's not looking like I'm getting anywhere on my end. However, the last time I spoke with the folks in charge of the airplane, they said that there were now "several museums interested in this airplane," so that is good news. If nothing else, WIX was able to at least get the word spread to help save this ol' bird. I know there are at least a couple of "lurkers" on this site that have expressed interest in the airplane, so maybe it's going to have a good outcome after all.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:26 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Well, some nice options there! Would love to see the CAF fly it together with FIFI!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:55 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I Hope it's saved as a whole aircraft.
I'm not sure what they mean when they say Hanscom, AFB (Otis AFB)?
They are in totally different locations!
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:49 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

I'm sorry to say that the CAF's, and my personal options are not going to come through. Let's hope that one of the other museums are able to save it though.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Attention Paul Allen - there is a EC-121 in aisle 2 that needs to be saved and flown - attention Mr Allen . . . .

Tom P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:19 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Doesn't Paul Allen have a B-17 in storage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

sigh - its just a general hope - there are tons of projects that SHOULD be saved and there is just not a ton of $$ to do it all. I mean even Kermit has limits to what and how much can be done. I applaud the work many of you folks here have done to keep many of these planes from the recycler.

On a different high note, Wendover Airfield Musuem did just get a $450K grant to help restore the B-29 hangar built specially for the 509th CG!! We are pretty excited about this - it will help preserve a very unique piece of the Manhatten Project - and someday Heaven help us and the water don't rise, we can get a B-29 to put in there!

Tom P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That is excellent news, Tom! Will you folks be able to save the rest of the WWII structures as well as the big hangar?

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

wendovertom wrote:
sigh - its just a general hope - there are tons of projects that SHOULD be saved and there is just not a ton of $$ to do it all. I mean even Kermit has limits to what and how much can be done. I applaud the work many of you folks here have done to keep many of these planes from the recycler.

On a different high note, Wendover Airfield Musuem did just get a $450K grant to help restore the B-29 hangar built specially for the 509th CG!! We are pretty excited about this - it will help preserve a very unique piece of the Manhatten Project - and someday Heaven help us and the water don't rise, we can get a B-29 to put in there!

Tom P.

Pictures please :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:01 am 

I came up upon 3 sea containers full of used and un-used connie parts. Let me know who needs what.

Hope someone Saves her. Not my type of Gal, but a Gal non-the-less. Id be interested in helping save that PBY.

Let me know what I can do!

Proud Supporter of....American Aeronautical Foundation 501(c)(3)
http://www.aafgroup.org

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next