Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine Luftwaffe Resource Center WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:43 pm 
Squadron Leader

I didn't mean to imply that a 3 engine ferry was not possible.
I was replying to the notion that an engine only has to be turning for takeoff.

Three engine maintenance ferry flights are done by aircraft under approved rules including an approved maintenance program.

I can recall a DC8 that was ferried with only three engines installed. The fourth pylon was faired over.

Sully

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:27 pm 
Squadron Leader

You can do 3 engine ferry's on 4 engine airplanes, and in the case of the 727, you can do 2 engine ferrys. I am sure you could get the permit for the Connie to do a 3 engine ferry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:33 pm 
Group Captain

John Cotter wrote:
You can do 3 engine ferry's on 4 engine airplanes, and in the case of the 727, you can do 2 engine ferrys. I am sure you could get the permit for the Connie to do a 3 engine ferry.

Yeah, but...

Doing a 3 engine ferry with an aircraft that has been in routine service is one thing. Doing it with one that has been sitting for 20 years or more and has been in the care of people who would knowingly run it with a hydraulic lock is something else entirely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

More pics of 52-3417 (interior)

http://www.dean-boys.com/52-3417/interior/interior_of_52-3417.htm

What a nice time capsule. If there's a guy who can do it, it's Gary.

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Talking of A&P schools.... The one at VNY is looking to trade their Beech18 for something a bit newer... But ya have to speak with ther right guy there. :wink:

PM if interested

& no, it doesn't run & has corrosion issues etc.. but if the price is right... 8)

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:47 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Well, let me rephrase what I said then......IF I'm involved with moving this airplane, it will NOT fly out on only three engines, legal or not.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:25 am 
Group Captain

Shay wrote:
More pics of 52-3417 (interior)

http://www.dean-boys.com/52-3417/interior/interior_of_52-3417.htm

What a nice time capsule. If there's a guy who can do it, it's Gary.

Shay

Wow! That thing is a time capsule. From the pictures it doesn't look all torn up like a lot of A&P school aircraft. Hopefully this will all work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:51 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow, what a fantastic plane. 3 engine take-off...umm, no thanks (nobody will approve that anyway). Hopefully the word will get out and someone will save this gem. Dismantling is probably the likely option to get it out of there. There are companies that can easily handle that for the right $$...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:09 am 
Squadron Leader

retroaviation wrote:
Well, let me rephrase what I said then......IF I'm involved with moving this airplane, it will NOT fly out on only three engines, legal or not.

Gary

Gary,
I hope it didn't sound like I was suggesting to ferry this bird on 3 engines. I think that would be a very bad idea. Just pointing out that it is legal and possible in some cases. I did a 3 engine ferry on a Jetstar and my company used to 2 engine ferry the 727.

On another thought, what ever happened to the EC-121 at Camarillo, CA? I know a few years ago, they were trying to solve a big corrosion problem.

I would be willing to help out on this airplane if you need assistance turning wrenches or flying her. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

John, Check Ralph Peterson's website www.conniesurvivors.com for information about the Connie at Camarillo and all other surviving Connies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:55 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

John Cotter wrote:
retroaviation wrote:

Gary

Gary,
I hope it didn't sound like I was suggesting to ferry this bird on 3 engines. I think that would be a very bad idea. Just pointing out that it is legal and possible in some cases. I did a 3 engine ferry on a Jetstar and my company used to 2 engine ferry the 727.

On another thought, what ever happened to the EC-121 at Camarillo, CA? I know a few years ago, they were trying to solve a big corrosion problem.

I would be willing to help out on this airplane if you need assistance turning wrenches or flying her. :D

I'm getting a quote on moving it as we speak, so stay tuned. I'll be sure to put out an all points bulletin for mechanics/volunteers to help with the move, IF we work out the funding to move it and IF it gets awarded to us. There are apparently several museums interested in this bird, which is great news!

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:51 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

retroaviation wrote:
John Cotter wrote:
retroaviation wrote:

Gary

Gary,

I'm getting a quote on moving it as we speak, so stay tuned. I'll be sure to put out an all points bulletin for mechanics/volunteers to help with the move, IF we work out the funding to move it and IF it gets awarded to us. There are apparently several museums interested in this bird, which is great news!

Gary

Geneseo would be a good home for it. :twisted:

My main aviation interests are:
-ww2 in the Pacific, in particular 1941-1942.
-The underdogs, and lessor known aircraft and histories.
-The Cold War.
-Collecting aircraft parts and Memorabilia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:43 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Nathan wrote:

Geneseo would be a good home for it. :twisted:

Well......get after it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:54 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

excuse my ignorance - what engine does this plane have? is it that far beyond the realm of possiblity to find 2 operable engines and swamp them out to fly it out? again, after having just moved an F-86 that was in "good" condition I realize that there is a TON of work to do other than just "swapping out the engines"

Tom P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:03 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The question is less about finding suitable engines (which isn't a huge deal in all reality as there are quite a few R3350s out there that would be acceptable for a ferry flight), but the big issue is someone (like Gary) has to go out and inspect for corrosion and other issues and ensure that the aircraft is sound. Then, at minimum an annual needs to be performed to ensure the aircraft is up to standards for the flight because the annual covers things like the fuel tanks, oil tanks, and fluid lines, all things that may be rotted or damaged. By trucking it, you don't have to find engines, you don't have to do the ferry/annual inspection, and if it does turn out that there's not any major corrosion, there's nothing to prevent restoration to flight in the future by some organization with the funding to do so. Knowing Gary (and anyone else who'd move the plane), the plane would be disassembled instead of cut, and so there would be nothing done to prevent restoration to airworthy status in the future.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next