Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:49 am

Just sent them an e-mail.

Gary

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:53 am

So Gary...is your "pond" big enough? :P

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:54 am

retroaviation wrote:Just sent them an e-mail.

Gary

That would be a fine addition to "Austin Acres". :shock: :D :D :D :D
Robbie

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:54 am

What about the F-102, UH-1, and Jetstar in the picture with the Connie? Guess the school is keeping them?

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:01 pm

Thanks for the link Sasnak.

Okay, I gotta ask if no one else is - what is this "Austin Acres"? Gary? Robbie?

-Derek

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:15 pm

The F-89 is still there, it's parked over on the GA ramp to the east of the Connie. I saw it there a few months ago.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:04 pm

viking73 wrote:Thanks for the link Sasnak.

Okay, I gotta ask if no one else is - what is this "Austin Acres"? Gary? Robbie?

-Derek

Austin Acres is Gary's place. See the link. He's got a nice collection.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... 23&start=0 :D

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:39 pm

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=85723#85723

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=100592#100592

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Well, I did send them an e-mail, but don't know what's going to become of it. I just cannot stand to see and aircraft like that get scrapped. Heck, I can't stand to hear of any aircraft getting scrapped, really. Most of y'all know who I work for, so you know I don't make much money. However, I'll certainly do whatever I can to help save this bird. Why? I dunno. It's a sickness, I reckon.

I'm just going to wait for their response and we'll go from there. Trust me, I'll be sure to let y'all know if anything comes of this, but don't hold your breaths. :?

Gary

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:24 pm

Ok, dumb question here from a neophyte warbird enthusiast. If the plane hasn't been flown since 1981, would it be feasible to get it into ferry condition without a huge expense in money and labor? Or would it be easier and cheaper to pull it apart and ship it via truck? Also, since it was at a vocational school, was it torn apart at all?

I went to a community college A&P school back in the mid 80's and we had some interesting stuff we messed around with. We had a T-33, Twin Beech from the Coast Guard, Bell 47 (had been hovered by one of the instructors just a few years prior), and a Hiller helo. I have no idea what happened to those birds.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:28 am

Depends on conditions and how well it was kept. Could be that it'd be pretty straightforward to bring it to ferry condition, could be it would take years. It's largely on a case-by=case basis

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:45 am

[quote="maxum96"]Ok, dumb question here from a neophyte warbird enthusiast. If the plane hasn't been flown since 1981, would it be feasible to get it into ferry condition without a huge expense in money and labor? Or would it be easier and cheaper to pull it apart and ship it via truck? Also, since it was at a vocational school, was it torn apart at all? }

Sure would be cool if things turned out like a certain B-29 that had sat in the dessert for years that was flown out by a bunch of guys from South Texas.

:shock: :D :D :D
No kidding, I hope this airplane can be saved. I grew up & still live about 2 miles from from Atlanta/Hartsfield Intl Airport, & I can remember seeing & hearing the Connies take off. What a sight & sound. 8)
Robbie

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:49 am

I will give a note to Geneseo. Maybe they can do something about it.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:41 am

Okay y'all, I did receive a very nice e-mail back from them, but it isn't looking too promising. :cry: The airplane has at least one engine that won't turn, and frankly, I'd be highly suspect of the others. Those ol' "dirty-three-filthys" just don't like to sit like that. So, my initial thought of ferrying the airplane out of there is looking to be more like wishful thinking than something that can actually take place. And I haven't even looked at it for corrosion issues yet. Trucking the airplane out will likely be the only "real" option, but holy-moly, that's gonna be a huge task. Now don't get me wrong....I ain't skeered, but I also know my limits. Helping save a PBY Catalina is one thing, but a Connie is obviously a much bigger bite to take.

I've been asked, via a Private Message, if the CAF can "just come save the airplane," but unfortunately, that's pretty unlikely as well. I will be in discussion about this bird this weekend, but the CAF just doesn't have the funding to save it. However, that's not to say that someone out there won't help us monetarily and with physical labor, but it's an awful lot to ask from anyone, you know?

Dang, this is so frustrating. I wish I were independantly wealthy. Working hard can only get you so far in life. :?

Gary

Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:11 am

Is this aircraft something that the CAF itself would be interested in saving?
Post a reply