Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

GCW Texas Raiders getting EVICTED!

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:17 pm

Someone on another forum I read said that Texas Raiders has 6 weeks to find a new home! The tenant that they are subleasing from said they got a better deal from someone else. Spanner also is TR in near Ferrying Condition as well? This truly sucks and I hope TR can find a new hanger soon!

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:34 pm

and your source is ?

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Partial answer: Texas Raiders will take a while yet before she flies.

Don't panic, I'm sure Spanner will fill everyone in on hangar provisions when he has time.

Scott

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:51 pm

It's being resolved. Stay tuned and please remain patient. The T.R. crew is working hard on the situation.

Gary

TR hangar situation

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Dear all,

It is true that the Gulf Coast Wing has lost the lease on our current hangar.

Fortunately, the new tenants have been very kind and have given us a grace period in which to do some additional maintenance and prepare to relocate. As Gary said, the entire staff is currently working very hard to procure a new home for TR. We currently have a few prospects to continue our work at Hobby airport.

On the brighter side, we've been very productive lately. This past weekend we:
- removed two of the three "impossible" bolts holding up our compression strut tie project
- installed the #2 engine main tank (all fuel tanks are now in)
- successfully pressure tested all four of our rebuilt cowl flap actuators
- patched a hole in our recovered rudder

Not too bad for a day where we spent the entire morning in a wing meeting!

You should continue to expect good things in the coming weeks. We have some nice tricks up our sleeves...

Onward!
-David Carr
Last edited by DCarr on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Like David Carr and Gary Austin said...

With one addition...

SEND MONEY!!!

Sheer economics and storm damage from the hurricane have made large hangar spaces hard to come by at HOBBY.

The new tennants are being nice in that they are allowing us until Nov. 30th to get the bomber prepped to move.
We are aggressively working the same plan that got us a CAF restoration grant and we hope to have the Aircraft in ferrryable condition in six months. BUT that can change if a better hangar option comes up and we are working on it. Either way QUALITY WILL NOT BE COMPROMISED on the work we do. The Bomber deserves our best work and it will get it.

But ALL of our spares and misc. stuff must go to storage.
You haven't LIVED until you have loaded a dozen B17 tires on a trailer and hauled 'em down the road to a storage facility.

If you are in the area, come help move... If you are too far away SEND MONEY! :D

As I told the Unit at our monthly meeting last Saturday... The words of Maggie Thatcher fit the situation most aptly, "NOW IS NO TIME TO GO WOBBLY!"

Don Price
Wing Leader- CAF-GCW
Post a reply