Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:34 pm 

Garbs wrote:
Is it the one at Pensacola or Lone Star? Or are those the new builds from Texas Airplane factory?

Lone Stars F3F is a TAF product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:26 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hi Chris,

Yes, that's a TBM wing behind Earl - note the mounts for the rocket rails - it was one of a set that he told me he owned and was going to use to put together a display aircraft, but I guess that never happened. This wasn't taken at the VAM, though; it was at the Anoka, MN airport where we had gone to trade some parts with Ingemar Holm.

As to the Buffalo - if it existed at all - the impression I gleaned from him and his friends was that it was buried under the floor of a barn in Beloit, Wisconsin. Who knows...

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:35 pm 
PeterA has an explanation for the dual markings on the Buchons

"I think this is what has happened here. The Spanish repainted all the Buchons in German 'film' markings for filming in Spain. This for the German airfield scenes and the A-A stuff with the Heinkels. There was only one Spitfire sent to Spain. Most of the Buchons were then flown to the UK for the dogfight scenes.

Latterly a few Buchons were painted in full with the RAF scheme to fill in as background in A-A formation shots. I suspect the paint used was just a temporary wash, that was never washed off, but quickly showed its quality when exposed to Chicago weather.

I always thought the Larry Matt and John Lowe were the owners of the Buchons in Chicago/Mundelein. The Spitfires came via Bill Francis who worked on the film. "

This might be the reason and the rest an Earl story. It's been a long time ago.

the Buffalo was not at the museum.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re-'RAF' Buchons: Basically the same as I said on the second page of the thread in two posts, although I'm not sure either way about the temporary paint wear issue. I didn't believe that any Buchons left the filming in RAF colours for 'ours' and 'theirs' political reasons; I'd assumed therefore that the RAF colours were washable and removed; the alternative being another layer of Luftwaffe paint was applied over them, which was to later wear off, which seems unlikely to me. My assumption that none were left in RAF colours may be wrong.

The other alternative explanation might be filming for From He11 to Victory (Originally Contro 4 bandiere - 1979) I mentioned before - it's a terrible mongrel film, with bits cut from everywhere. Gary Brown and I watched it many years ago together, and we agreed that the Buchon in RAF colours, seen once, briefly, wasn't an out-take from the Battle of Britain film - again we might be wrong. Where it's from remains a mystery - this IMDB link gives a few clues. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079019/#comment ) Could one of Earl's Buchon's have been used in another film between the Battle of Britain and arriving at the museum?

The photo of the 'P-51' Buchon is the one I referred to there owned by my colleague Gary Brown - I think it was originally an Aviation Photo News shot, and yes the reason they were created was the ever-present P-51s weren't available in Europe then.

Great thread!

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:06 pm 

OK - unfortunately that's all I have from Mundalein except for these two:

No F7-U's or Brewsters evident in either :)

Here begins the CAF 1975 thread then; please let me know if I should start a new one.

I have 45 counting the 'teaser':

This is N5546N in its cilil livery, before the lengthy restoration at Harlingen.

I'll start with the display aircraft, I don't have N-numbers on any of these:

Possibly N47DD?

Maybe N691S? I'm sure I have this one in the CAF 1981 set.

And a couple more:

This one's easy (N25Y)

Let me know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:18 pm 

Here's some of the active planes that were on the ramp back in '75:

The first one is N47DC which I believe is now at the Air Zoo. I can't read the others but I assume they are "N47D A-F".

Texas Raiders and Fifi

Not sure if anyone is interested in the ramp queens. I believe many have been posted in an earlier thread;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:21 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That pic of Texas Raiders is interesting. Looks like she had a diagonal tail stripe at some point (similar to Sentimental Journey) that was painted out.

SN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:15 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Steve wrote:
Latterly a few Buchons were painted in full with the RAF scheme to fill in as background in A-A formation shots. I suspect the paint used was just a temporary wash, that was never washed off, but quickly showed its quality when exposed to Chicago weather.

I always thought the Larry Matt and John Lowe were the owners of the Buchons in Chicago/Mundelein. The Spitfires came via Bill Francis who worked on the film."
DaveM2 published a photo of mine in Classic Wings showing the last HA-1112 at Victory Air Museum with the roundels plainly visible on one wing (the wings were probably all mixed up when they were reassembled). Either the German markings weathered off to display the English ones underneath, or the wing left the filming still in English markings. If it was in fact temporary paint, I wish my house was painted in that stuff because it was probably 10 years old when I photographed it.

The last one at VAM was John Lowe's, John had another one at home in his garage that I saw (but did not photograph- bare metal and still had the hole in the fuselage where the Spanish had hacked out the radios) and Larry had one in his backyard as well that he had painted up in glossy German markings and was working on. Larry also had a Spitfire fuselage in his backyard (the one that had been sitting in the crate at VAM?) and had been trading parts with Rudy Frasca.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Garbs wrote:

I imagine these are some of the ones that now surround the EAA Museum at OSH (or are parked on the western edge of "Fightertown" in the Warbird area).

Skyraider Bu# 122811 is the only surviving AD-3. The Navy took it back around 2002, had a little cosmetic work done, and mounted it outside at some Naval supply base in Philadelphia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:19 am 
Does anyone know how the Buchons got to VAM, I always thought they were trucked in but they might have been flown in

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Garbs wrote:
Not sure if anyone is interested in the ramp queens.

It's all good! Keep 'em coming.
bdk wrote:
DaveM2 published a photo of mine in Classic Wings showing the last HA-1112 at Victory Air Museum with the roundels plainly visible on one wing (the wings were probably all mixed up when they were reassembled). Either the German markings weathered off to display the English ones underneath, or the wing left the filming still in English markings. If it was in fact temporary paint, I wish my house was painted in that stuff because it was probably 10 years old when I photographed it.

Thanks bdk. As I said above I don't buy the washable paint remaining (under Luftwaffe?) colours theory. It seems awful complicated, or very tough 'temporary' paint - which bdk's highlighted. As I said above, again...
JDK wrote:
Re-'RAF' Buchons: Basically the same as I said on the second page of the thread in two posts, although I'm not sure either way about the temporary paint wear issue. I didn't believe that any Buchons left the filming in RAF colours for 'ours' and 'theirs' political reasons; I'd assumed therefore that the RAF colours were washable and removed; the alternative being another layer of Luftwaffe paint was applied over them, which was to later wear off, which seems unlikely to me. My assumption that none were left in RAF colours may be wrong.

The other alternative explanation might be filming for From He11 to Victory (Originally Contro 4 bandiere - 1979) I mentioned before - it's a terrible mongrel film, with bits cut from everywhere. Gary Brown and I watched it many years ago together, and we agreed that the Buchon in RAF colours, seen once, briefly, wasn't an out-take from the Battle of Britain film - again we might be wrong. Where it's from remains a mystery - this IMDB link gives a few clues. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079019/#comment ) Could one of Earl's Buchon's have been used in another film between the Battle of Britain and arriving at the museum?

The photo of the 'P-51' Buchon is the one I referred to there owned by my colleague Gary Brown - I think it was originally an Aviation Photo News shot, and yes the reason they were created was the ever-present P-51s weren't available in Europe then.

Great thread!

I've never seen another photo of a Buchon in RAF colours off the Spitfire Productions bases; except that this site, as bdk's shown, here, much later. I've also never seen another shot of the From He11 to Victory Buchon - if there was a Buchon in RAF colours for another film pirated by the FHTV makers. I don't really have a credible theory, whatever version one prefers there's a fair amount of forcing the facts to fit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:13 am 

Garbs - the FM-2 Wildcat in pre-war Ranger markings was N681S. It was repainted as Butch O'Hare's aircraft while I sponsored and flew it in the early 1990s. It was lost a few years ago.

Randy

Post subject: VAM photos
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:49 pm 

The Victory Air Museum photos sure brought back some memories. The silver T-6G was mine and I was removing the paint when the photos were taken. It was later painted to a G (yellow markings) paint scheme in the Polidori hanger the following spring. Chris......I have almost the same picture of Earl taken at Ingamar's hanger, but on a different trip. Earl was wheeling and dealing for that wing, but the deal never came off. When I was there I rode with Earl and Alex, the newspaper photographer guy who was always blowing things up at VAM. Ingamar flew one of the TORA Kate topedo planes to many air shows. My G model (the first T-6G, 49-2897) was sold in 1984 and I then purchased a D model from Ray Stutzman. All in all I owned T-6's for over 31 years. My last take off out of VAM in a T-6 was on 9/24/82 some 26 years ago. It was like doing carrier ops, but without the hook. "Those were the days". Keep the pictures coming.

Jake Fendermen :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey, I thought sooo.... That "Hudson" is Lockheed Lodestar CF-TCY, which is now owned by the Canadian Museum of Flight at Langley, BC. Right now it's at Abbotsford Airport with the University of the Fraser Valley Aerospace School receiving a major cosmetic restoration by the airframes students.

Sadly, after these pictures were taken, and I assume a few years later the airplane had it's wings sawed off, before the CMF acquired it.

I'm hoping to go see CF-TCY sometime in the near future and will report on its progress.

Cheers,

David

P.S. CF-TCY never flew with the RCAF or RAF, but was always a Trans-Canada Airlines or Government Canada airplane. So, though the paint job looks cool, it's not representative of the airplanes history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

daveymac82c wrote:
Hey, I thought sooo.... That "Hudson" is Lockheed Lodestar CF-TCY, which is now owned by the Canadian Museum of Flight at Langley, BC. Right now it's at Abbotsford Airport with the University of the Fraser Valley Aerospace School receiving a major cosmetic restoration by the airframes students.

Sadly, after these pictures were taken, and I assume a few years later the airplane had it's wings sawed off, before the CMF acquired it.

I'm hoping to go see CF-TCY sometime in the near future and will report on its progress.

Hi David - check your timings... Earlier in the thread:
51fixer wrote:
The Lodestar had things cut for transport and it was bolted back together with angle iron. It is visible on top of the horizontal in your pics.

We also had a discussion about the (now-) Chicago Stuka and its history and colours.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... hp?t=19089

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next