Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RyanShort1 wrote:
You know, I know this is a current topic, and a hot one at that, and I'm all for saving warbirds and the artifacts, but honestly, don't you guys think we're jumping the gun a bit on this? The folks at LSFM mostly are still trying to get power, water, and figure out if they can even go home. I'm SURE that there will be plenty of discussions amongst them in the future after things have settled down and they will have to answer some tough questions.

I think you are right Ryan. It's certainly not up to us to 'tell' LSFM where they 'should' be.

My heart goes out to the LSFM staff, and I recognize that in most cases their personal circumstances must come first, before the museum gets addressed, much as it hurts to look at the pics.

Like most of us, I'm sure we'd like to help as far as we can to get them back on their feet; I'd just like to suggest while it's tempting to talk about the matter, LSFM needs to take the lead in any discussions - floating ideas may be useful, telling a perfectly capable museum team what to do isn't helpful.

Like a bunch of doctors around a patient, it isn't good to keep yapping on - let's wait for the LSFM guys to come on line and then let's follow their lead.

They do need to know there's support out there - so keep that online.

Best of luck to the Texans.

Just my views.

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:14 am 

Flying Pencil wrote:
Salt is only corrosive when wet.

The faster they can dry out everything, the better.
Then when ready wash it off in tanks and hoses.

Have you ever been in Galveston? The salt is always wet. I worked at the Musem for 6 years. I lived a block from the beach and ten blocks from the Museum. The LSFM is between two large bodies of water, less than one mile one way, and less than two miles the other way, and the wind blows salt water spray from either way. The humidity seldom goes below 60% at any time. A polished unprotected propeller blade will have corrosion appear overnight, when left outside.
If it doesn't rain after a month, the salt builts up on electrical transformers, they short out and catch the power poles on fire. The electric company has tanker trucks with pumps and nozzles to drive around and wash the transformers with fresh water every couple of weeks if it doesn't rain.

The walls and roof have been compromised at the hangar, and I can assure you that the corrosion process has begun already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:40 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I agree 100%...The corrosion process has started already.

http://www.390th.org/
www.LSFM.org

Trae

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:44 am 

I suggest Topeka,KS. Why? Because I live here ! and it is in the center of the United States, Forbes Field is an ex AFB so plenty of room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:59 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

RyanShort1 wrote:
You know, I know this is a current topic, and a hot one at that, and I'm all for saving warbirds and the artifacts, but honestly, don't you guys think we're jumping the gun a bit on this? The folks at LSFM mostly are still trying to get power, water, and figure out if they can even go home. I'm SURE that there will be plenty of discussions amongst them in the future after things have settled down and they will have to answer some tough questions.

Ryan

Well they are asking for donations and help. I can see sending funds for the airplanes. But I would not be willing to send money to rebuild a museum in the same spot if the same thing is going to happen again in the future. :!: I hope my statement dont start any sparks thats not my intent. We are all trying to save warbirds. It just seems kinda conterdicting to place warbirds in an unsave area. :?: Look at New Orleans. Hit twice by Hurricanes this year. What happenes once can and will happen again.

Just my $.02.

-Nathan :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:38 am 

spookyboss wrote:
I suggest Topeka,KS. Why? Because I live here ! and it is in the center of the United States, Forbes Field is an ex AFB so plenty of room.

Yeah....Let's move it to right in the middle of Tornado Alley! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:44 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

CH2Tdriver wrote:
spookyboss wrote:

Yeah....Let's move it to right in the middle of Tornado Alley! :wink:

Now thats funny!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:47 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

:( I am just really bummed out about this. Why prey-Tell, wasn't this museum further inland I keep asking myself....do people not look at the weather history....Really bummed out :(

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:02 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

My Q is, is it a airport in name only now?? Someone mentioned earlier that the runway (s) were compromised.
I imagine that every a/c on the field is destroyed.
Any word when the city will be open???
I honestly don't see the point in throwing a bunch of $$ at it so you can have a museum in a destroyed city.
It'll that years to rebuild that city if the next hurricane doesn't finish the job first.
Jack the realist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:16 am 

Hello All:

I have been reading with interest how each of us is coming to terms with the devastation wrought upon the LSFM in Galveston. From disbelief (How could this happen?) to anger (Why did this happen?) to solutions (This can't happen again?). We can only imagine such destruction, but most of us weren't in the path of IKE.

Wixers, no worries. There will be a Lone Star Flight Museum in the future. As a patron of this fine Flight Museum on numerous occasions...there SIMPLY WILL BE IN THE FUTURE a Lone Star Flight Museum. As there is right now! To the staff of LSFM, Y'ALL take care of your loved ones, gather together as much of what was yours before, STRENGTH my dear friends, you have friends here who are concerned and when your ready We will all help REBUILD! My favorite thing about the LSFM staff was their "Giv'em Hell Texas Strength"!

Three years ago, through a complete an utter disaster in which my business was COMPLETELY destroyed by fire from construction on a new HVAC being placed in the building; I took account-personally and professionally. No one was hurt, we would build again, and it would be better than before. AND SO IT WAS. LSFM will be better.

LSFM is an incredible place with incredible people and it should not disappear. IKE is not a big enough event to do that. I'm sure the leadership is already considering many of our suggestions. My opinion of a disaster plan through my own personal experience, is:

1) Count heads. Everybody is okay? Good! How can I help those in need among the volunteers with support? How can I get further support for them?
2) Do Inventory of whats lost in the Hangars. Talk to insurance about that.
3) Do Inventory of whats left in the Hangars. Asap get a professional portable truck sprayer or electric company sprayer into wash down the planes remaining.
4) See what structural problems there are with the buildings and the aircraft (ex. B-58 wing comes to mind).
5) Clean-up will probably take a finite amount of time. 2-3 months.
6) It will get done.

Suggestions for making LSFM better:
1) Fund-raising--> LSFM has a fleet of flying aircraft. Have an airshow at CAF, Cavanaugh or somewhere else in Texas. Invite all Wixers! I will come and be the first to sign up for my first warbird ride. B-17 sounds pretty good in flight I've heard.
2) Location(s)-->Galveston should be the Flying Wing of the improved LSFM. Everything that is in that location, MUST be able to FLY IN/OUT! No exceptions. The threat of Hurricanes along the coast on a barrier island warrants such a policy. A building is a building, but priceless artifacts must be moved out of harms way.
3) Location(s)-->Houston/San Antonio/Dallas should be the second location for all historic aircraft unable to fly at LSFM. B-58, PBY, PB4Y, SPITFIRE, Hurricane, etc. This way the second location can serve as a repair shop and HQ's for all items that are priceless displayed items. Also as a "Hurricane bunker" for flying aircraft if another storm appears on the horizon.
4) 2009 Summer Airshow at Galveston. THERE MUST BE AN AIRSHOW AT GALVESTON EACH YEAR as a fundraising event. Also says that there will always be a LSFM in GALVESTON. Theme should be a fly-in of PBY's or P-38's or B-17's. If you create it I will be there in support and so will many WIXERS. Could you imagine flights sold in a PBY?

Just some of my thoughts. Oh and by the way you need a Winston "the Wolf" Wolfe (see Pulp Fiction) problem solver to get a lot of this done. Every organization has to have one as I'm sure they do.

With every challenge, you take it on the chin initially and then you get up and make it better than before. Just wait, LSFM will be even better!

God Bless Y'all in Texas, Galveston and LSFM.

Glenn

Post subject: Gls
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:33 am 
Probationary Member

I don't believe that Galveston is destroyed, either the city or the airport. It's a great town that has been through a lot of storms. In a couple of weeks, I believe the streets will be open, the power back on and water and sewer working. Sure there will be areas badly hit, but this storm was nowhere near as damaging as in 1900. Galveston is not going to be killed by a storm any more than San Francisco was by the earthquake.
Except for the possibility of bad weather, which is likely rare of this severity, this airport has advantages. There were 3 good runways, still are except one is closed due to Moody Gardens, there is no problem with noise complaints like at W Houston or airline traffic as at Hobby or Midland. For years it was a great place for sport flying, didn't even have the hassle of a control tower. And even that is less trouble than say Midland.The whole island is a tourist area with lot's of hotels and restaurants. I grew up vacationing there as a kid, long before LSFM , going to the beach in high school, and in all that time I can't recall any storm flooding the island. LSFM used to be at Hobby and wasn't wanted there, just like CAF at Harlingen. Any other location is not risk free, the fire at Windsor destroyed two CAF fighters, and the the tornado at BKD damaged other planes.
I hope cleaning and treatment can save many of the planes and I wish it had already begun. And they were able to move the majority of the flying part of the fleet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:42 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Glenn wrote:
Hello All:

Wixers, no worries. There will be a Lone Star Flight Museum in the future. As a patron of this fine Flight Museum on numerous occasions...there SIMPLY WILL BE IN THE FUTURE a Lone Star Flight Museum. As there is right now! To the staff of LSFM, Y'ALL take care of your loved ones, gather together as much of what was yours before, STRENGTH my dear friends, you have friends here who are concerned and when your ready We will all help REBUILD! My favorite thing about the LSFM staff was their "Giv'em heck Texas Strength"!

LSFM is an incredible place with incredible people and it should not disappear. IKE is not a big enough event to do that. I'm sure the leadership is already considering many of our suggestions.

God Bless Y'all in Texas, Galveston and LSFM.

Glenn

Thanks for all the kind words Glenn...I couldnt have said it better myself. :drink3:

www.LSFM.org

Trae

Post subject: Re: ???
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:49 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Jack Cook wrote:
My Q is, is it a airport in name only now?? Someone mentioned earlier that the runway (s) were compromised.
I imagine that every a/c on the field is destroyed.
Any word when the city will be open???
I honestly don't see the point in throwing a bunch of $$ at it so you can have a museum in a destroyed city.
It'll that years to rebuild that city if the next hurricane doesn't finish the job first.
Jack the realist

Agreed Jack.

I don't know totally the condition the aircraft are in right now. But from what I have read corrosion is already in play on those warbirds. I am guessing some of those aircraft were flyable but down for repairs. Warbirds that might have one day flown may never get the chance now. :( I am really hoping things are not that bad. But its better for one to prepair for the worst possible outcome. Reality sucks but such is life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I can only image how my locker looks and smells inside the museum! :toimonster: Im told the upstairs offices just look like everyone went on vacation.

When the day comes I believe the museum will be better than ever! The guys in the "head shed" have been involved with warbirds all of their lives. LSFM has a very strong spirit among the ranks and its leadership. After speaking with the Chief pilot & President of the museum earlier this week, I have every bit of confindence that there will be a LONE STAR FLIGHT MUSEUM and we will not let this keep us down.

:f4u:

www.LSFM.org

Trae

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:24 am 

Trae you wrote:

"Thanks for all the kind words Glenn...I couldnt have said it better myself."

Not bad for a darn yankee and from Jersey to boot! :roll:

I was looking at your LSFM site especially
http://www.lsfm.org/volunteerspotlight.html

With the caption: This page features our most important resource - our volunteers. (Never was that more true)

Our volunteers are dedicated men and women who have literally volunteered thousands of hours to fulfill our mission.

Special training is required to participate in certain activities, but we have plenty of folks who are eager to help you get started.

Something didn't look right on that page..I thought about it and then realized what it was. Galveston is beautiful with the beaches and the sun and fun. A real place to relax outdoors. Yet none of your volunteers have a tan in the photo! :shock: Must be spending a lot time inside to not get a tan on that beach. They truly love what they do. Take care of each other during this trying time.

With a team like that there is no doubt LSFM will be back and better than ever very soon!

Many on this board feel helpless as I'm sure some of you feel without being allowed on the island to begin the repair. When things calm down a little, contact us and ask for our help on WIX. LSFM needs to use this medium. There are many capable people on here from various organizations that can give help in various ways.

Best Regards,

Glenn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next