Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:49 am 

In my opinion, a flyable Mustang should look like this one...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Switzerl ... 1019019/L/

... which has never been restored, but rather carefully preserved.

Unhappily, I could not think of any flyable Mustang which would show such a beautiful NATURAL aluminium finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:59 am 

Example, look here:

http://www.allaircraftarcade.com/forum/ ... highlight=

This 109 E, a pure and total beauty, with its accurate colors, correct markings and matte finish, just looks real, like some kind of time machine to WWII.

On the contrary, the P-51B, in spite of looking cool (a Mustang always looks cool :D ) doesn't inspire me WWII feelings, with its silver-grey paintings and probably modern nose art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:19 pm 

ChrisDNT wrote:
On the contrary, most if not all British warbirds just look like the real deal.

(1) for instance, why every P-40 must be a shark-mouthed one? Why every P-51 must be a ETO one? I say that because there are so many amazing schemes which could be possible, for instance PTO Mustangs, ANG Mustangs etc...

I agree, although a reasonable number of P-40s today show a pretty good variety of markings (Aleutian, Parrot-head, Weeks TP-40, Fallis P-40).

The Brits do a great job, although I have noticed that some European U.S.-marked aircraft seem to have messed up US insignias, either really wide white bars, or too light a blue color.

Keep on the look-out for Jim Beasley's reworked "Frenesi", which will be Pacific-Theatre marked!

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:23 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

ChrisDNT wrote:
In my opinion, a flyable Mustang should look like this one...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Switzerl ... 1019019/L/

... which has never been restored, but rather carefully preserved.

Unhappily, I could not think of any flyable Mustang which would show such a beautiful NATURAL aluminium finish.

on Airliners it says that is the sole surviving Swiss Mustang. That's not true. Twighlight Tear and Miss Helen are both former Swiss birds. The only one left in those markings... sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:27 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

richkolasa wrote:

The Brits do a great job, although I have noticed that some European U.S.-marked aircraft seem to have messed up US insignias, either really wide white bars, or too light a blue color.

Rich

Yeah, the ONE element that should be the easiest to get right per the documetation that exists. :lol: It's the national insignia. Would you paint the FLAG in the wrong shade of blue or the stars not quite the right size?? :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

ChrisDNT wrote:
This 109 E, a pure and total beauty, with its accurate colors, correct markings and matte finish, just looks real, like some kind of time machine to WWII.

On the contrary, the P-51B, in spite of looking cool (a Mustang always looks cool :D ) doesn't inspire me WWII feelings

My two cents is that I feel the same way. When I started this thread, though, I was only historically/clinically asking which airplane would a historian go to in order to get the best representation of a 1940's Mustang. Granted, he might go to a non-flying museum and that begs the follow-up question, "Which museum has the most authentic Mustang?" With the standard set by HJGB and EuEp - is there a chance that there are flying Warbirds that exceed even the level of some static birds? Not to get off on another tangent ...

The Swiss museum shot was a great addition to the discussion, btw. I'm guessing that may have ben a USAAF airplane and combat vet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:34 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Martin is the expert, but I believe the Swiss Mustang went to Europe for assignment but was never delivered to a combat unit. I *think* it flew post in the occupational force but I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:06 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

as far as most original, I would say the 51s hiding in Connie Edwards barns. As retired, just the guns removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:13 pm 

Another mystery to me is the lack of imagination in the choosen schemes.

I look for instance every day at Ebay biddings and, every day, there are at least five to ten amazing, inedite and of course authentic finish possibilites which surface from the past.

As examples:

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %26otn%3D4

So, I don't even understand the need of recreating modern nose-arts for WWII aircrafts, as there is plenty enough of amazing and REAL ones available!

P.S. Sorry for the long links.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:16 pm 

"I agree, although a reasonable number of P-40s today show a pretty good variety of markings (Aleutian, Parrot-head, Weeks TP-40, Fallis P-40)."

I agree, the new P-40N flying now in GB looks really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

ChrisDNT wrote:
On the contrary, most if not all British warbirds just look like the real deal.

I have noticed this just slightly as well, but I think it is because we have too much sunlight over here in the US, and not enough grass fields. :D It often appears that the ever so common English weather and the English countryside seems to add an extra element to the wartime look of things when aircraft in England are photographed with such dramatic skies behind them, and brilliant patchwork landscapes below. I would love to see aircraft such as Happy Jack's Go Buggy, Upupa Epops, or Rod Lewis' Mk.V Spitfire parked on a grass field in England, or flying above the country below. They just look some what out of place parked at a modern airport or flying above a populated landscape. That of course doesn't change my feelings about having the opportunity to see them here in the states.

For me, the outside finish isn't the biggest factor for what makes an authentic restoration, it is what is on the inside, but I guess that is because I look for the details. The interior of John Sessions' B model is next to bone stock in every way, but unfortunately it is the silver paint that gets the most attention, at least from what I have seen on this forum. Yet the exterior on Jack Roush's B model is attractive because of the OD finish, and has received much praise, but the panel and on board equipment is more similar to a modern business plane. Obviously it is to each his own, and is the reason why I mentioned that really anything besides the Mustangs which have already been mentioned to be the utmost in accuracy will be very subjective claims to be more accurate than others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:55 pm 

"For me, the outside finish isn't the biggest factor for what makes an authenitc restoration...."

I must say that I don't agree. :wink:

For me, an aviation restoration should always have the same high standard of most museum car restorations. For example, you find a derelict Duesenberg SJ. Every classic cars afficionados would call it a blasphemy :lol: , if, after a perfect mechanical restoration, you choose to paint this amazing car with modern colors, just because it looks cool.

I'm also thinking of the plastic models competitions. To win such a competition, a model must have an original finish, which is authentic, well applied with the correct colors and markings etc...

Why should it be different only in the WWII aircraft restoration world?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:04 pm 

Would this simple factory look be to plain for today?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:10 pm 

Better an example than empty words :lol:

Ok, so the Focke Wulf 190 of Erich Rudorffer:

What do you prefer?

This one...

... or a real aircraft wich would be painted like this model:

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/axis ... mc32a6.htm

For me, it's really not a subjective point, but a very objective one :wink:
The replica, with its approximative finish, may look cool, but it does not look right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:01 pm 

I agree with you, Kenlyco, a Mustang in its aluminal natural robe is just gloriously looking.

Another example:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Italy--- ... 1357379/L/

About PTO Mustangs, a natural alu finish with simple and elegant markings like these ones for instance...

... would be top!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next