Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Soplata F-82 Twin Mustang to Tom Reilly

Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:41 pm

Okay, I'm confused. I just read the article in Air Classics about Tom Reilly getting the prototype Twin Mustang from Walter Soplata. My family visited Walter's place in 1976 where I took the below images. The Air Classics article shows the left fuselage having the star and bars insignia, and says the right fuselage was given to the Air Force for destructive testing. Why would that have been done after 1976? My images clearly show the aircraft intact with the NACA letters, no insignia. Were there 2 F-82s at Soplatas?

http://www.crystalgraphix.com/images-1/F-82-1.jpg

http://www.crystalgraphix.com/images-1/F-82-2.jpg

Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:48 pm

Yes, he had two. One was a complete airframe which is somewhere up north being restored to fly. The project Tom got is just one fuse and a few parts I think. I don't remember if it is the right or left one. I think they plan on using is as a pattern to make all new build stuff.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:50 pm

Here is a list supplied by Mike Henniger of the Sophlata collection
http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.o ... oplata.xls

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:21 pm

Wow, you guys are fast and good! thanks.

FG-1D

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:05 pm

The Corsair with the wings folded that was under the metal covering is gone as well now.
8)

Re: FG-1D

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:16 pm

corsairboss wrote:The Corsair with the wings folded that was under the metal covering is gone as well now.
8)

Soon to join another F2G in the skies!

Corsairs

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:20 pm

I was talking about the FG-1D is gone and now located out west and yes the F2G #74 has also been sold and expected to fly by the end of summer.

There are a few new corsairs getting ready to come out of shops in the next couple of months.

8)

Re: Corsairs

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:21 pm

corsairboss wrote:I was talking about the FG-1D is gone and now located out west and yes the F2G #74 has also been sold and expected to fly by the end of summer.

There are a few new corsairs getting ready to come out of shops in the next couple of months.

8)

Wow, I didn't know #74 was THAT close to being done. I was expecting another couple of years min.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:29 am

I must have missed something...I thought #74 was going to be static with the Crawford Museum...Guess that has changed. So, is there a new owner? Either way, that's great news.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:51 am

What I want to know is where is Reilly getting the center section and wings from?

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:51 am

warbird1 wrote:What I want to know is where is Reilly getting the center section and wings from?

How about a second fuselage??

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:57 am

Randy Haskin wrote:
warbird1 wrote:What I want to know is where is Reilly getting the center section and wings from?

How about a second fuselage??

The second fuselage will be easy. They just reverse engineer the original fuselage. If they have the blueprints, that will make it much easier.

When Howard Pardue had the collision in his Bearcat with the Corsair at Oshkosh '99, they just reverse engineered the one good wing to replace the other side. It can be done.

I think the center section and wings will be the difficult part if they don't already have examples of them. Even if they do, since it's the "X" version, surely it won't be an exact fit for their model? That is one daunting project to say the least. As they say though, all restorations can be cured by cubic dollars or pounds!

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:32 am

it is the right sided section

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:18 am

I took this picture at Soplata's in 1982. Don't know if it is part of it or not stored in the B36.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:51 am

Here are a couple of photos of the F-82E (aka EF-82E) that was NACA 133.
It is under restoration in MN as N142AM. Photos taken by Dick Phillips about 5 or 6 months ago. Ex Water Soplata

Post a reply