Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Sun May 18, 2008 12:30 am

51fixer wrote:Jim called me from Chino today. He is flying the Museum's P-51 Spam Can and Ed Shipley is using Hinton's Wee Willy for the Horseman routine this weekend. Enjoy the display if you are there.
Rich
I said howdy to Jim and they put on a great show. Airshowbuzz.com even brought a "JumboTron" to the show. Too cool!

Tue May 20, 2008 9:02 am

I am getting things hooked up.
As of yesterday this is how it looks-
We moved the RR 724 project engine into the reception area for the time being-
Anyone have any spare 620/724 valve covers?
Rich

Tue May 20, 2008 11:37 am

Looking good, I've spent a few weekends now sorting out all the pipework, prop etc on a P51 in the UK (and have tha scars to prove it).

Wed May 21, 2008 10:26 am

Continuing to hook up items and make adjustments.
I had to alter the breather for the 620 heads.
The differences between yesterday's and today's post may not look to dramatic as alot of work goes into things that don't show up to to the naked eye.
The new fuel line has arrived and the prop is due tomorrow from overhaul.
Rich

Thu May 22, 2008 4:27 pm

I am waiting for the prop now as the trucking company will deliver on fri instead of Thur as was promised.
Other than fluids and the prop it is ready to run.
Hopefully she will fly this weekend.
I need to finish the annual as well and that will require the gear swing. All other inspection items have been completed.
Rich

Thu May 22, 2008 4:47 pm

What are the engine mods/changes and why?

Thu May 22, 2008 4:50 pm

Very cool!

How do the panels mount at the front/top of the nose?

Thu May 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Rich you forgot to put the cowl formers on the front!!

Brandon we had to put a new engine in her; last September (right before the Gathering) we had a problem and it was easier to change than fix. say lah vee

Thu May 22, 2008 7:01 pm

bdk wrote:What are the engine mods/changes and why?

Brandon,
The engine is V-1650-7 bottom with -620 heads and banks. These are very late model Transport heads and banks. They are physically a bit bigger in front and the cam covers have a different profile in the back where the stock breather line would cross over it.
Using this setup requires a header tank with reliefs for the increased head size, the header tank pop-off line had to be altered across the front of the A or R/H bank and the breather line wouldn't fit across the cam cover so I used some parts we had upstairs and plumbed it for a stock transport breather setup. That picks up a 1 1/2" outlet out of the back of the A bank inboard of the Tach drive hookup.
With the -620 transport banks you lose the forward stock breather vent location forward of the B or L/H bank as that connects vertically into the front of the head.
Why because it is what was being put together at the time we needed it.
Mike Barrow informed me that this was the engine that was in Bald Eagle when Jim's dad bought her in 1979.
Rich

Thu May 22, 2008 7:05 pm

Jim Beasley wrote:Rich you forgot to put the cowl formers on the front!!

Nothing like having your boss critique you online in front of thousands, err, hundreds, or is it a few of your peers.
Rich

Thu May 22, 2008 7:06 pm

I forgot the hangar is a mess too

Thu May 22, 2008 7:09 pm

Django wrote:Very cool!

How do the panels mount at the front/top of the nose?

There is a few more cowl formers that have yet to be installed. I will wait on those until after the 1st runs to allow better visibility for looking for leaks and problems. It also makes installing the 8 nuts which holds the front spinner to the backplate easier.
Rich

Thu May 22, 2008 7:11 pm

Jim Beasley wrote:I forgot the hangar is a mess too

Turn off the lights. It will be harder to see the mess.
Rich

Fri May 23, 2008 3:55 am

Jim Beasley wrote:I forgot the hangar is a mess too

It's all those bikes that make it look a mess........... :wink:

Fri May 23, 2008 4:56 am

they do make Rich insane. woo hoo :evil:
Post a reply