Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ????
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:24 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Jack Cook wrote:
Quote:
What did the Enchantress look like?

506th FG nice but sorta plain. Not my first choice but stil a breath of fresh air. The 15th FG had the real eye popping schemes in the 7th AF and the 348th FG in the PTO except the 3rd ACG.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10579#picture

The rendition that we are looking to use is not solid green on the tail but has diagonal green stripes on rear fus and vertical. I believe it would be an earlier time period than the solid green tail.

These were some of the 1st to use the VLR tactics that included the ARA-8 homing system. Every mission was dangerous for they had to fly over so much water and suffered many losses just due to weather. Jim wanted to do something to acknowledge their sacrifice and contribution.

Adrian, any way to get a copy of the TO 08-30ARA8-2?
PM me or Jim if you can do it or provide a link.

As far as no more Frenesi, well we have put almost all new metal on this machine and would like to keep it in a bare metal scheme. The PTO is rather under represented in the warbird world of P-51s.
The wings should arrive in the morning after a complete rebuild including new spars and most of the skins.
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:30 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That will look nice. The link says there were 2 versions, striped tail and solid tail? Which one are you going to go with?

What are the black diagonal lines on the wings for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:13 am 

It's an interesting history. The tails were striped until late spring 45 (IIRC) but the stripes made it harder to clearly ID that it was a mustang instead of a Japanese plane, so the fix was to paint the tails a solid color. We're doing the striped tail scheme just before they painted the tails solid. The mission markings are also quite unique.

Rich is right there's such a paucity of Pacific schemes in general and none that adequately identify the frightening VLR missions that it needs to be done. I just hope that we get her finished before all of these guys are gone.

Here are two shots of her from 45. Check out the VLR mission markings. I think it's too cool. jb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:15 am 

oh and the stripes on the wings were degree markings (10 through 50 degrees) for diving in on a target

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:21 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Neat!

What is the circle art above the name? Some kind of weathered squadron insignia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:24 am 

yup. Here's a link

http://www.506thfightergroup.org/457thf ... uadron.asp

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:37 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

The 506th was the last P-51 group to enter operations. I'll
try and post some more photos tonight. Their marking seem just sorta plain just tail markings and a bare nose like the 479th in the ETO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:04 pm 

Jim,

My hat's off to you for honoring the 7th AF guys with your new paint job.

Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:21 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I looked around on the link and I'd say the Enchantress is definitely one of the more lively looking ones of the group. Looking forward to it's completion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:26 pm 

me too. Rich hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: ????
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:12 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

BTW a friend of mine is writing the 506th history for Osprey's Elite Unit Series 8)
I think it will be a pretty plane.
TG you guys didn't pick Abner Aust the 506th FG's psycho ace to represent :shock: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:11 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I am also looking for info on the lower AN-104A antenna mounting setup. This com antenna was moved from the top of the rear fus to bottom rear cowling just forward of the gear door. The blueprints I have just doesn't have many of the very late changes it seems. These would probably have part number pre-fixes of 122.
Please impart any knowledge of part numbers, blue print roll numbers ect of the ARA-8 and ARC-3 antennas for late P-51D models or the field mods done.
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:38 pm 

[quote="Jim Beasley"]It's an interesting history. The tails were striped until late spring 45 (IIRC) but the stripes made it harder to clearly ID that it was a mustang instead of a Japanese plane, so the fix was to paint the tails a solid color. We're doing the striped tail scheme just before they painted the tails solid. The mission markings are also quite unique.

Rich is right there's such a paucity of Pacific schemes in general and none that adequately identify the frightening VLR missions that it needs to be done. I just hope that we get her finished before all of these guys are gone.

Here are two shots of her from 45. Check out the VLR mission markings. I think it's too cool. jb
quote]

You sure about doing the stipes? It would have been solid green when they went to the VLR missions. I haven't seen a 457th FS, 506th FG with the dual antennas yet with a striped tail. Seems like they changed them before they got to Iwo and got the modified antennas.

And obviously I'm partial to the Enchantress :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:55 pm 

Dan check this out. Different squadron but stripes and Uncle Dog antennas. Woo hoo

Image[/img]

Post subject: ?????
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:15 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Jim,
That's really a great site.
I'll look for some more photos.
I do have photos that a local 506th pilot (Goldie Marcott)
gave me but he was in a different sqd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next