Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:16 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

warbird1 wrote:
I don't know if anybody has considered this, but has anyone thought that Bill might not be able to afford the repairs on the Spitfire? I know he has complained in the past about the high cost of operating expenses to keep it flying. Bill can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he bought it about 1983 or so. At that time, IIRC, Spitfires were going for less than $200,000. Bill was lucky and was able to buy it when it was cheap before they skyrocketed out of sight.

My intent is not to pry upon Bill's personal finances, but what if he can't afford to repair the work? Would the WIX board come to the rescue like we did with Ole' 927? This situation has happened in the past when Lefty's son crash-landed the P-38 which he had for years. Lefty got that aircraft when they were dirt cheap and had no money to restore it after it's crash. The result is he was forced to sell it to Red Bull where it now sits at Breckenridge, pending completion of it's restoration. This is just one instance where warbird owners could not afford to repair/restore a warbird that they bought many years ago before the prices spiraled out of control.

Many people think that warbird owners are multi-millionaires, and that is certainly the case for new owners, but there are still a lot of owners out there who bought them when they were cheap in the 60's, and 70's, but may not even make 6 figures a year in income. Yet, they continue to fly their warbirds, and are barely able to keep them flying on a shoe-string budget. I'm hoping that this isn't the case with Bill.

I wish Bill all the luck in getting TE 308 back to flying, but I'm wondering whether this might be beyond his economic means? Hopefully not.

Hah, I don't think Bill is going to have to worry about paying for this one. :wink:

Lynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:19 am 

Bill,
I am glad to hear that you are ok.
My wife, and two daughters send their best.
Paul Gordon

http://www.airport-data.com/photographe ... arma;1045/
bluedharmawix@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:08 am 

Sad news indeed.

Bill, glad there wasnt anyone hurt.

The vintage and warbird fraternity in New Zealand wish you both the best and a speedy recovery to the air. Wish the Hurri pilot and machine the best also.

Post subject: Spit bits..
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:32 am 

We have some Seafire/MkVIII oleo top halves that are surplus to our MkV Trop project.I have no idea if they could be airworthied but they are here if you need them.I for one am glad there was no injuries but it is shattering to see these two old girls have a bunt together.Hopefully the damage is only skin deep and that no primary structures are bent.Accidents do happen but these things pull the community closer together..Best of luck and good hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:00 am 

Glad to read your words that you are OK Bill...sad to see what happened to that lovely girl, sure she will be back in the air soon where she belongs :P

Once again, my stupidity of warbird ownership is gonna show here when I ask if warbird owners carry any type of insurance on their respective aircraft. From reading some of the comments here about the cost of getting TE308 back in the air, I would guess that would not even be a consideration if their is hull insurance or some danged thing like that?

In any event, if Bill allows me to come down and help however I can, I can supply beer money for a couple weeks...if it takes that long to get her back up in the blue. :lol: Best wishes and get well soon to the Hurri as well.

...just another plane dreamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:41 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Was Ralph Bossing? Hope his moral is OK too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:53 am 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

[quote="
Hah, I don't think Bill is going to have to worry about paying for this one. :wink:

Lynn[/quote]

I don't know about that.. For example, If you hit a car in the rear who is at fault?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:07 am 

Wrench,

The rules of the road have nothing to do with aircraft on a runway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:00 am 

Bill,

Glad you guys are OK.

Wishing a speedy recovery for both fantastic aircraft.

Rgds

RM797

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:08 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yikes Bill, sorry to hear about the mishap.

It is very good to know you and the other pilot were not injured.

I hope everything gets resolved as easily as possible for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:16 am 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

[quote="bipe215"]Wrench,

The rules of the road have nothing to do with aircraft on a runway.[/quote]

sure it does.. Check FAA accident reports for simular situations. I bet the lawers are already circling the wagons and It will probably be a big law suit like the EAA/Corsair/Bearcat episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:06 am 

Just glad you're ok Bill - and the other guy.

I hope both machines are back in the air as soon as possible.

Best wishes from Biggin Hill

Post subject: ????
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:12 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Quote:
I bet the lawers are already circling the wagons and It will probably be a big law suit like the EAA/Corsair/Bearcat episode.

I don't see the similarities here or a big lawsuit. Speculating on such is not appropriate here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:41 am 
Newly Minted Pilot

Wow, so sorry to hear about this. But I'm happy to hear Bill & the other pilot are okay.

USAF 1984-1986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:35 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Lynn Allen wrote:
warbird1 wrote:
I don't know if anybody has considered this, but has anyone thought that Bill might not be able to afford the repairs on the Spitfire? I know he has complained in the past about the high cost of operating expenses to keep it flying. Bill can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he bought it about 1983 or so. At that time, IIRC, Spitfires were going for less than $200,000. Bill was lucky and was able to buy it when it was cheap before they skyrocketed out of sight.

My intent is not to pry upon Bill's personal finances, but what if he can't afford to repair the work? Would the WIX board come to the rescue like we did with Ole' 927? This situation has happened in the past when Lefty's son crash-landed the P-38 which he had for years. Lefty got that aircraft when they were dirt cheap and had no money to restore it after it's crash. The result is he was forced to sell it to Red Bull where it now sits at Breckenridge, pending completion of it's restoration. This is just one instance where warbird owners could not afford to repair/restore a warbird that they bought many years ago before the prices spiraled out of control.

Many people think that warbird owners are multi-millionaires, and that is certainly the case for new owners, but there are still a lot of owners out there who bought them when they were cheap in the 60's, and 70's, but may not even make 6 figures a year in income. Yet, they continue to fly their warbirds, and are barely able to keep them flying on a shoe-string budget. I'm hoping that this isn't the case with Bill.

I wish Bill all the luck in getting TE 308 back to flying, but I'm wondering whether this might be beyond his economic means? Hopefully not.

Hah, I don't think Bill is going to have to worry about paying for this one. :wink: But I'm glad you are ok though....

Lynn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next