Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

P-38 and Spit MKVC in Kissimmee

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:06 pm

Working on Sunday in Kissimmee, on Tom Blair's Spit MKVC and the P-38

Mark H

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:34 am

Thanks for sharing the moment with us Mark ~ nice to see the Spitfire coming back together again.

If only Mr. Blair could be persuaded to bring the P-38 over to Duxford .....

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:03 am

Only if he has to fly with White Lightnin and Glacier Girl over the pond! :)

Cannons

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:34 am

I like the look of the four big guns on the Spitfire, not often you see the 4 cannons on one of the early MKs. Man, I'd like to fly that one, very carefully, of course.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Speaking of flying to Duxford, Why would they (it) necessarily have to be flown?
I have no idea of the costs involved with the flight (ie. fuel, insurance, chase plane(s), etc.,) but would it be more economically feasible to ship them over and reassemble them at Duxford? Would they fit on a 747 freighter? I know they could go by boat. I'd even volunteer to go along as chaperone. :roll:
I dunno'. Any thoughts?
Anyone...Bueller...anyone?

Mudge the curious

ps Wouldn't 3 (even 1) P-38 be a helluva draw at Duxford? :drink3:

Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:16 pm

Im pretty sure shipping them cost less but thats not the reason for flying them there. I guess it has to with the adventure aspect of it, but adventures can be awfully expensive. And besides, the more the merrier I always say! :D

3 to go!

Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:40 pm

There's adventure and there's ADVENTURE. Sure...what a cool story. "We flew 3 P-38's to Duxford." How many do you think would actually make it? THAT's an ADVENTURE I wouldn't like to undertake. The odds of 1 making it are pretty long, but three... :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Mudge the fearful :hide:

ps...Wednesday's my turn to hit the lottery so we'll see if I can afford to buy them a ride on a boat. :shock:

Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:21 pm

any word on when we may see Putt Putt back in the air. It was sure a sad day when I watched her leave Galveston but I am glad to see her getting some long overdue attention.

Steve S

Bill

Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:32 pm

Is that P-38 Bill Ross's former plane? If so I have flown with him at Oshosh quite a few years ago. Are the multicolor bands near the spinner historically accurate?

Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:35 pm

your right Bill it's Bill Ross's "Der Gableschwanz"

Steve

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 pm

Mark,

Thought you might want to see this photo taken Thursday of the Spitfire all back together.
Sure looks pretty.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:24 pm

Nice picture Bill!
I went and saw the spitfire and the lightning last Friday. Both of them were looking great. Can't wait to see the P-38 back in the air.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:50 am

That Spitfire is pretty??? Ummm....BEEYOOTEEFULL seems much more fitting a term! God that is so nice :heart: :heart: :heart: :spit :heart: :heart: :heart:

Re: Bill

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:43 am

Bill Greenwood wrote:Is that P-38 Bill Ross's former plane? If so I have flown with him at Oshosh quite a few years ago. Are the multicolor bands near the spinner historically accurate?

Bill here's a war time pic.

Mike

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:02 am

"Man" That is the "Sweetest Looking" Spit I have seen in "A While"
Hawk
Post a reply