Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Sure, the famous ones are different... Agreed, Miss America and Ole Yeller are exceptions, as is #57 Super Corsair.

I think it awesome to see many of the same group on the flightline, as long as they aren't all trying to be the same aircraft! :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I always liked the yellow and black checkerboard Mustang racer from back in the 60s. Bardahl Special?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:46 pm 

I think that the CAF needs to go back to the original house colors. That way whenever we went to an airshow we would stand out and everybody would know who we are. Plus as a bonus there would be uniformity in that not only would we all be wearing the same shirts/uniforms but all of our planes would be painted in a uniform matter. All you have to do Gary is give the word and we will make it so. :wink:

P.S. Just my two cents worth and I did get the bomb shelter completed in my backyard.

Life Member EAA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:52 pm 

I think at least one should carry the scheme. At least without white lightning now. Like maybe an AT-6. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:30 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

coldaffyduck wrote:
I think that the CAF needs to go back to the original house colors. That way whenever we went to an airshow we would stand out and everybody would know who we are.

...And that was the beauty of the early scheme Col. Duck! When we saw
a bird go by in those colors..in the early days, at least..you knew it
was the CAF. Kinda like a biker outfit with wings. Things were a bit looser
then and a bit more boisterous. Field beatings were de rigeur and very
appreciated! :D

I do prefer the historic military colors, but it would be cool if at least 1 bird was
was flown in the CAF's original colors..preferably a bird prepared
and maintained to "thrash a spirited display" reflecting that early spirit...
all on the deck please??? :D

Too bad N25Y has gone on to other pastures..she'd be perfect for such a Flagship.
We can always hope the bottom falls out in the energy drink world...

Quote:
P.S. Just my two cents worth and I did get the bomb shelter completed in my backyard.

Got a guest room Suh? :lol:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:28 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Ryan Harris wrote:
I finally decided to scan the photos in my gold mine of a old CAF book we have. All photos are credited to the CAF.

...And quite a gold mine it is Ryan, Thank You for taking the time to post them.
About the P-40 and Red Nose..interesting..no N#'s, of any size displayed
on the fuse's..even a Cub displayed 'em back when...
Probably airbrushed out by the CAF censors in an attempt to hide their ID
from nosey Yankee intelligence services.. 8)
Does the P-40 read, "Mercedes Duster Services" ???

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:19 am 
Yep, the P-40 reads "Mercedes Dusting Service". This would actually be the first airplane that Lloyd Nolen owned, and the one that started the bug. From the book, the reason it is not considered the very first airframe in the CAF, is because he had sold the airplane, and somewhere along the way acquired Red Nose. As we all know, Red Nose became the spray painted birthchild. The P-40 was re-purchased again somewhere along the way. I'm thinking the N number could just be on the top of the wing, or like you said, they've airbrushed them out.

BTW, the P-47 in these colors is the current N model. They purchased her from Nicaragua and flew her non-stop back to Harlingen. Of course, this is the same airframe that tried to take Doug Jeanes from us, and is currently under rebuild again. Pretty wild knowing that there were SEVEN P-47s in the CAF fleet at one time.

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:44 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

I heard that Borat doesn't all the freaking blue paint on those p-51s :shock: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:24 pm 

Hey Gary...if you decide to paint a Tigercat or TBM in "civie" colors let me know...I will donate some money towards the paint! Along with Miss America and Old Yeller, we need to get Kermit to paint his Mustang back in the Paul Mantz racing colors! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:53 pm 

Was Kermit's C a Mantz racer also? I thought Excalibur III was the only one still around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:15 pm 

Nevermind :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Xrayist wrote:
we need to get Kermit to paint his Mustang back in the Paul Mantz racing colors! :D

Thank you.

T J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:43 pm 

I remember a calander that the CAF put out in the late 60's with their aircraft all painted in the so-called CAF livery. I think we need to understand that most, if not all of the guys flying those aircraft back then, had been participants or had great memories of that era. Each generation has a different objective than the previous. Those guys would have felt foolish had those airplanes been painted in their squadron markings or painted to represent other sqaudrons. They did what they did out of a love for, and knowledge of those airplanes. Most of us now are children or grandchildren of those men. Most, and quite soon there won't be many, if any of those men around. I believe it is our duty to display those airplanes in a way that the next generation can remember and do Honor to our Fathers and Grandfathers who paricipated in that Conflict. Paint them as they would have appeared in the War, so Our children might see them as they would have been!
Woodstock, Ga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:38 pm 

WOW! has this been a great string. A great example of why I check out WIX before I check my e-mail. My wife just can't understand why I do this but my son does.

First, a thanks to Sasquatch for asking the question.

Second, a very greatful thanks to all who have contributed.

As a relatively new member of the CAF I've learned a great deal about the organization, its aircraft and some of the facilities used in the past. Each picture has been a learning tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:11 pm 

My pleasure, Coldflyer. It's fun to see that a lot of folks have interesting contributions to this subject, as well as some well-thought-out and stong opinions.

I am in agreement with Sgt. Hawk about the need to keep alive the memories of those who flew these awesome machines. But I am also in agreement with Airnutz, in that I think it would be quite approprite to paint up one of the CAF birds in the old house colors as a nod to those old Colonels who had the forsight to preserve these planes. That is...IF the current CAF members and leaders even wanted to do such a thing. AND IF--say--they had two of a particular type of airplane and were wondering what kind of paint to put on it.

In my mind, not only is it important to honor the veterans, but also the machines themselves, because--with or without a war--they are of significant historical value as a human achievement...a machine development, which in and of itself deserves recognition. In my opinion, these planes represent the pinnacle of mass-produced, reciprocating engine, propeller airplane development, as well as the industrial might of the nation that manufactured them. Not to mention the sociological and technological aspects of the people, nation and society that produced them.

So to me, the value of these planes goes beyond just the war aspect...they are significant historical articles for several reasons. And one of those is that a bunch of guys who initially set out to have some fun with planes and save a few from the scrap heap were instrumental in starting a movement that we're all thoroughly enamored with today, and will live long past when we're gone. IMHO, that deserves some recognition, and perhaps a warbird in historical "house livery" might serve that purpose--again, IF the CAF folks even wanted to consider doing that. After all...they are their planes we're talking about.

Just some food for thought and discussion.

--Tom

PS...and thanks again to you folks who have posted all those righteous photos...some excellent history there!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next