Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:51 pm 

I'm back in Redmond again and I took a few shots around Butler's shop and ramp this morning.While the DC-7's aren't strictly warbirds,they are air tankers.The Hercs are supposed to be ferried out in the near future to California.Tanker 67 is ready and will probabably head for either Visalia or Mojave in two weeks.The green parts airplane will take a lot of work.I'll get some better pictures on the next suitable day (when it isn't snowing and blowing).

I also got an e-mail with a couple of pictures and no details from Brent Conner,who flies a P-3 tanker for Aero Union.He's apparently been flying a Japanese Oscar out of Tillamook.I'll attach the pictures and add details when I hear any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:17 pm 
Senior Moderator

Larry,

Thanks for the pics. The Tankers look great!

Also it's good to see the Oscar up and running. The last time I saw the machine it was aways form flying.

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:43 pm 

is that Oscar an original or replica? I like that photo of the tail section sticking out of the hanger. thats pretty funny.

Post subject: Novel about dc-6 tankers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:56 am 

A good novel about DC-6 tankers and firefighting is:

Fire Flight, by John J Nance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:02 pm 

It was a bright and sunny day,so I tried taking some more pictures.I'm still learning how to get the most out of my new Canon Rebel XTi Digital SLR 10.1 MP camera.Fortunately,it's basically foolproof in the full auto mode.The DC-7BF with the stubby wings and tail has been retired and is now our engine test stand.

Last edited by Larry Kraus on Tue May 20, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:12 pm 

great f-ing pictures Larry.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:56 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Cool pics, Larry. Thanks for posting.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:57 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That's a pretty nice engine test stand you guys have. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:56 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Green C-130 is:

C-130A 57-0479 (N479TM)
Originally assigned to the 483rd TCW (Tactical Control Wing) in 1958. Was last flying with the 155th TAS (Tactical Airlift Squadron) ANG. Now stored for parts...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:15 pm 

Scott,I'll check with Norman Stubbs from TBM when he returns to Redmond in a couple of weeks as to the plans for the Green C-130.The information that I heard on Friday from Rick Watkins (Butler's Engine Guru),is that Norman has lined up 4 engines and enough parts to get the Green Machine ready for at least a ferry flight to California.TBM's C-130A ex-Tanker 64 (I don't have the N number handy) is currently involved in test programs for the D.O.D. out of Mojave.Appaerntly,it's the type of testing that they don't want government owned C-130's involved in.Mostly testing new parachute delivery systems and some ordnance tests.Woody Grantham (International Air Response/ex-T&G) is doing similar work with one of their ex-tanker C-130A's.The FAA hasn't got a problem with the A models,just the Forest Service.Go figure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:31 pm 

Here are some interior shots that I took in Tanker 62 yesterday while trying to learn how to use my new camera.It was in the full auto mode and it was pretty dark inside as the shop was closed for the weekend and all of the overhead lights were off.Not too bad,considering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:57 am 

Cool pictures Larry! What's the story with the P-2V QECs out by the Herc? Also did Butler bid any fed contracts?
Scott.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Larry, I always enjoy your pics of the "Big Iron". Thanks for posting them for us. :D
Robbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:21 pm 

Scott,I'm not sure what the story is behind the P-2 QEC's.I'm not aware of Butler bidding on any of the Fed contracts,but I haven't asked.As far as I know,T62 and T66 are committed to the ODF (Oregon Department of Forestry) contracts in Medford and Redmond for another 3 years.

Robbie,I'm glad that the pictures have an audience.Hopefully,I'll be able to post some more exciting stuff when we start flying this season.For the time being,I'll post the pics that I shot in the hangar today.Ican see that my camera gives a bit of a fish eye effect in full wide angle.I'll have to be careful to use that sparingly.The cockpit shots are in T62 (N401US),which is "my" airplane.

Last edited by Larry Kraus on Tue May 20, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 pm 

Larry;
I can remember when #60 was on the BLM contract out in Reno in the late 80's early 90's I was suckered into washing the airplane by Wally and Rich. I was on the loading crew at the time and we were sitting around quite a bit toward the end of the contract with nothing to do, so I'm out there on top of the right wing washing from the tip toward the fuselage use a fire hose 5 gallon wash bucket and a bug sprayer full of Zep degreaser soap. Well as I get into the wing root area have a slight problem of being able to move my scrubbing brush around without hitting the fuselage, soooo I sent decide I'll move out board a bit turn around a scrub down the wing root area. :D

There was just one slight problem with that, as I had set down the brush and wet to move the bucket I took a step right into some Zep degreaser which I just sprayed the back half of the wing with behind the #3 engine, well there goes my foot and being that I’m standing on a wet wing there goes my other foot! :shock: Yup here I’ am in the matter of a millisecond on back on a wet wing that is covered with degreaser, so here is were gravity kicks in and off the back of the wing I go heading for terra firmma! I don't know how many people can have the claim to fame of falling off a DC-7 wing! :? So as I'm heading for mother earth (thank god the flaps were down) I thinking to myself this is going to hurt, but as I land I come down on my feet Yippee. :lol:

Well as you know I have been washing a wing and the ramp is all wet covered in water, degreaser, engine oil and retardant. So out go my feet from under me and flat on butt I end up, but the best part is as I was sliding to my death I was grabbing for anything I could hold onto to try and stop my decent so I had a hold of the hose when I hit the ground. It had moved across the wing enough to hit the 5 gallon bucket to knock it over and it too came raining down along with it's contents on top of you know who! :oops: So I pick my self up look around and to my surprise nobody else was outside on the deck or the loading pits, so I was saved a little bit of embarrassment from my co-workers and pilots.I ended up finishing the was job a day or two later, and as I’m putting the final rinse on the tail the fire phone rings and we get a dispatch to a fire! :roll:

I thought you and some of the guys on here might get a laugh out of the "bone head Scott file's" of being an airport bum. Keep the pictures and the stories coming Larry, as this is about as close to the tanker biz I can get anymore, I sure do miss it though. :D
Scott........
The tanker bum at heart.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next