Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

What Is A QEC?????

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:06 pm

There's only 1 correct answer :shock: 8) :wink:
F4U-1A #5 VF-17 March 1944 LTjg Tom Killefer 2nd from left

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:09 pm

Is this for another pony?

Does QEC stand for "The Quebec Eningeering Corp?"

-David
Last edited by daveymac82c on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:09 pm

how long of a turnaround did that take in the field?

B

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:48 pm

quartet engine change ?

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:17 pm

Judging from the cleanness of things I would venture a guess they are installing this engine.
QEC is Quick Engine Change although I would say it is closer to a Quintet rather than Quartet. Or how many Marines does it take to change a Corsair Engine. Maybe I'd rather not answer that question and i should change the subject.
Notice the clean uniform of the pilot and you can tell who works the most on the radials by looking at the pants.
After working in my present facility I can't even imagine working under those conditions. Talk about primitive.
What a great bunch of heros who just did their job!
Rich

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:27 pm

What a beautiful engine! What I wouldn't give for a pair of them!

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:33 pm

This was on Green Island in March 1944. Killefer was returning from a mission to Rabaul and landed on the new airstrip with a dying P & W.
He dodged the construction equiptment still working on the runway. A R4D flew in a new 2800 and some Marine mechs to change it out. Most of the guys in the photos are Seabees there to kibitz and add some needed muscle. Killifer scored 4.5 kills and 1 probable over Rabaul (a real ivory ace).

Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:33 am

Reminds me of the video I saw of the field assembly of a P47. Whence upon they attach the wings, the official training video states that it takes "50 strong men" to lift the wing into position to attach to the fuselage.

The video goes on to show "50 strong men" carrying the wing into position. :shock:

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:27 am

I'm inclined to believe that the picture took place before March. IIRC, VF-17s second six-week tour started at the end January 44, and the Navy actually ended their tour early as by late February they were seeing no action.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:27 am

I'm inclined to believe that the picture took place before March 44. IIRC, VF-17s second six-week tour started at the end January 44, and the Navy actually ended their tour early as by late February they were seeing no action.

???

Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:12 am

The caption on the original in the NA says March 44 first plane to land on Green Island came in with engine trouble. The Seabees sisn't arrive to begin construction until Feb 15, 1944 to build the airfield so the event clearly happened a number of days after. Also a point of correction, this the Green Island Airfield on Nissan Island largest of the Green Island Group 200 miles from Rabaul Harbor. Marine F4Us, TBMs and PBJs plus NZ F4Us and P-40s were mostly based there. Killifer just snuck in for the first landing like the good Navy man he was 8)

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:48 pm

Looks like the pilot is making himself useful by staying out of the way. Can't get that fancy uniform dirty :lol:

?????

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:10 pm

Sorry Saxman no pony for you.
I dug through the VF-17 combat log.
Killefer landed on Nissan Island after CAP on March 5, 1944.
He flew out on March 7th. The last combat mission for VF-17 was March 6th
which was a barge hunt. Oc Chenoweth's division burned 6 barges.
I have a nice shot of Oc's flight after the landed on Bouganville. The
combat didn't just occur in the air-to-air arena we must remember.
Last edited by Jack Cook on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:29 pm

Tom Killefer VF-17 leaving Green Island Air Field on March 7, 1944
Hog #5 almost ready to go on March 6th
Oc Chenoweth's flight after returning from the March 7th barge hunt.
L-R Oc=8.5 kills, Jim Dixon, Dan Cunningham-7 kills & Lou Fitzgerald

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:30 pm

Wow, those are some great pics. 8)

I would NOT want to be standing under that radial though!!
Post a reply