Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:32 pm

Hello All,

As most of you would know, I've been working/travelling with Justin for quite a few years now. I also met Yoji while travelling in Papua New Guinea in 2005.

At the moment I don't have a great heap of information about the issue, though will make sure to post it here once/if it comes to light.

I would just like to wish Justin, Yoji, Rod and Daisy all the best for their trial today.

For those of you who might use Facebook, I have also set up an Online Group, which is available at:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9278646814

Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:35 pm

For what it's worth...I just now received an email from a friend on Guadalcanal & his impression is that arrest/seizure part of the incident is "outrageous".
Hard to say if the entire truth will ever come out of this.

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm glad to see that we're finally getting some proper perspective on this unfortunate situation.

I don't know Justin personally, but I've gained volumes of information and hours of enjoyment from his "Pacific Wrecks" website. His passion for honoring the memory of WWII servicemen of all nations is clear to see -- plus I admire his adventurous spirit in gathering knowledge from the field (and cultivating contacts who can contribute theirs as well) and his willingness to share the results with anyone who is interested.

In contrast we know absolutely nothing about who was behind this reported salvage attempt (which, within a group this well connected, seems highly unusual to say the least). This lack of information prevents us from making any kind of informed judgement of whether the fate that awaits these relics is worth sacrificing the opportunity to ever again experience the mystique of visiting a genuine abandonned WWII airfield like Ballale.

In any case, our personal opinions about historic aircraft preservation and recovery should be beside the point. Justin and his colleagues are being held against their will without due cause. This is unacceptable and should not be tolerated by his fellow citizens (or anyone else for that matter). If for no other reason than the next time this happens it could very well be any one of us...

Daniel -- please keep us updated whenever you hear anything new.

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:37 pm

TBDude wrote:Justin and his colleagues are being held against their will without due cause.
How did you reach that conclusion? From an internet chat group? Now there is a reliable source! :lol:

Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:00 pm

MustangDriver wrote:
I am sure that PNG is placing it in a climate controlled building for preservation since it is an important part of their culture.

Insert your own joke about NMUSAF here: _____________ :lol:

Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:30 pm

This is such a horrible situation and it seems there are two issues within this one thread.

1.) The arrest and detention of Justin and co.
2.) The removal/recovery of WWII artifacts (illegal or legal).

What doesn't help is the seemingly corrupt system in that area. I wish for a very everyone detained to be released as soon as possible. I also hope to find out who removed the airplanes in question and wish that they not be scrapped, but rather preserved.

I think that all crash sites in South East Asia should be recovered immediately. I really wish they could be left there as a monument to the men who lost their lives during the war, but that wish falls on the deaf ears of scrap metal collectors. WWII airplanes are most likely a "Jackpot" in the eyes of a scrap collector.

I like the idea of forming a scrap metal collecting company to remove all war relics and saving them from scrap. It has to be done because I know for sure that they will eventually be cleaned up by scrappers. Letting them stay where they are is not an option anymore. Sad to say. I've never wanted to utter those words, but to protect the memory of the airplane, the pilot, and the crews from being forgotten.... preventing them from getting melted down and turned into TV antennas can only be acheived through removal and preservation.

Sorry for hijacking this thread about Justin and his colleagues.

To everyone, please keep us updated.

Cheers,

David

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:44 pm

It's good to see the support on here and other forums to have Justin, Yoji, Rod and Daisy freed - Regardless of their view on aircraft recovery.

I've just spoken to Justin over the phone. He has had his diary entry from the first day in court uploaded to the site:
http://taylandefensefund.org/jt/?p=15

"Free the Ballale 4"

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:06 pm

EDowning wrote:MustangDriver wrote:
I am sure that PNG is placing it in a climate controlled building for preservation since it is an important part of their culture.

Insert your own joke about NMUSAF here: _____________ :lol:

Don't forget our friends on team goat, and their Hellcat/windvane,etc, not to mention their wonderful policies...
Not that our common alma mater, the big green machine, has a spotlesss record when it comes to preserving their heritage either....

Taylan Arrest- who are the salvagers

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:40 am

Rumours are running around the head shed that those people involved in this recovery of wrecks from the Solomons may also have links to the recent PNG Government Inquiry into the Swamp Ghost. Some phone calls to reliable sources indicate action is being taken behind the scenes regarding the detention of an Australian citizen. We must remember that Australia and The Solomons haven't been getting on too well recently and there are still some very delicate maters to be resolved. Add to that we have a new Govt and we have the making of red tape hell.

As I say, these are just rumours and no weight should be given and none are implied.

SD

png

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:31 pm

I would'nt put alot of stock in that info. :D

Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:59 pm

I am sorry for someone being jailed for only trying to save the aircraft the "salvagers" were trying to recover/remove.

I do have a problem with the "leave them as memorials" position. With regard to sunken vessels, I do agree that any sunken ship with the loss of life/human remains on board, it must be kept as an untouched memorial the servicemen and women who served their particular country. With regard to airplanes on land and with no remains.......NO! Why not leave every jeep, tank, motorscooter, and horse drawn carriage remain as war memorials? I think it is equally obsurd. Airplanes will not remain for long. They will rot away and we have a very capable private sector ready to preserve them in various (some static and some airworthy) conditions. Lets preserve and return these (agreeable to all of us) aircraft to places where humans (not just creatures of the jungle) can view them.

Pirate Lex
http://www.BrewsterCorsair.com

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:49 pm

Really, you can not argue with that

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:04 pm

Pirate Lex you are very correct.

-David

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:07 pm

Like I stated earler in the thread, this is where me and Justin usually butt heads.

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:10 pm

Ya know, I am very surprised that we haven't as yet heard from Dik Shepherd on this topic........hope he's alright
Post a reply