Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:56 pm

They can't be scrapping them. They'd bring a far higher price these days from warbird lovers. What a wierd story. We should invade PNG and make them an American protectorate. We can claim they have WMD's. Wild Monkeydogs are terrorizing the Islands and we must protect them.

Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:17 pm

And does anyone know where this Swamp Ghost is at the present? If left untreated, the damage is going to Asto-damned-nomical.

Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:20 pm

gary1954 wrote:And does anyone know where this Swamp Ghost is at the present? If left untreated, the damage is going to Asto-damned-nomical.

I am sure that PNG is placing it in a climate controlled building for preservation since it is an important part of their culture. :x :roll:

Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:29 pm

gary1954 wrote:And does anyone know where this Swamp Ghost is at the present? If left untreated, the damage is going to Asto-damned-nomical.

Still sitting on a loading dock, I believe. (Someone on this forum mentioned an unconfirmed rumor that some pallets were missing already. True or not?) There's a "latest news" page on the Pacific Wrecks page.

I'll put on my sarcasm hat now and predict that in the future, some of it will get loaded by mistake on a barge of scrap while it's not being supervised. :roll:

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:05 pm

There was a recent report in the Solomons newspaper that the recovery of 11 wrecks was being undertaken by a 'foreign group', so not for scrapping.
Authority came via one of the Govt. Ministers, but it had stirred some anger from locals.

Dave

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:07 pm

Having been on Guadalcanal as recently as this last September, I can say that there is a bit of a local attitude afoot that they would prefer their wrecks be left there. Not offering my own opinion here, just passing along what I heard from several people.
As to the wrecks @ Bellalae, it was pretty much common knowledge to many on the Island that they were there. I have photos on a DVD that a friend gave me of some of them. While Guadalcanal is is hospitable place to visit & travel around, parts of PNG are not...some of the locals must be considered somewhat feral and there is a problem of scrub typhus. I was told that Bellalae itself is pretty much uninhabited.
Mention of the wrecks that I saw on Guadalcanal can be found on another thread (post your travels).

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:36 pm

somewhat feral? PNG is one of two areas anthropologists are enamoured with due to their still unchanged life paths. There are people up in the highlands living the same way they did 5,000 years ago. Until quite recently they were still eatinig each other. So yeah...I'd say that "somewhat feral" is an accurate statement :shock:
Last edited by muddyboots on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:42 pm

Beware if they invite you to a hot tub party and there are carrots and potatos floating around :shock: Yum Yum

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:00 pm

muddyboots wrote:They can't be scrapping them. They'd bring a far higher price these days from warbird lovers.

The problem as I see it (for what little that is worth) is that the aircraft as a whole cannot be exported out of the country because of "folks" playing hero. But when the aircraft is cut into pieces and sold as scrap there seems to be little standing in the way of the export. I hope those aircraft get out of the country and to a home that will preserve them.

I hope the courts find out the truth and act accordingly.

Tim

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:06 pm

where is the u.s. embassy?? is the red cross looking in on him to make sure he's not mistreated?? are they not trying to aid in releasing him?? is the sakaida related to author henry sakaida?? or are they the same person?? totally shocking news!!

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:48 pm

this is quite distressing, justin's arrest & trial are no doubt being upheld by corrupt island politicians who are probably in kahoots with the would be salvagers. so many of these 3rd world governments are rife with crooks.

????

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:55 pm

By their pictures they don't look very much abused by the system there.
Boat arrest doesn't seem has bad has a Turkish prision. Especially when you can work on your tan
and set a a nice webpage to solicite money with and have email.
I bet the fishing pretty good also!! In some places they would have just vanished.....poof-gone :idea: :!:
this is quite distressing, Justin's arrest & trial are no doubt being upheld by corrupt island politicians who are probably in kahoots with the would be salvagers. so many of these 3rd world governments are rife with crooks.

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:26 pm

OMFG!!! I have e-mailed back and forth with Justin several times. I even hoped to travel with him one day. I am really sad to hear of this. :cry: Pacificwrecks.com is my most favorite site.

I agree..some of those countries couldn't be run by more stupid ignorant jacka$$es. :evil: You can't salvage an aircraft unless its for the purpose of scrap. :x :roll:

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:38 pm

Jack,

Where did you find the news reports from the Solomons?

???

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:52 pm

Tourists arrested, want case heard quickly
Submitted by drupal on Thu, 2007-11-29 11:18. Headlines
By DOUGLAS MARAU

FOUR tourists, who are currently under boat arrest for illegally entering the country, are appealing to police to hear their case quickly.
Speaking from their boat to Solomon Star yesterday, the tourists said they wanted their case to be heard now than later because they are running out of food ration.
The tourists are from America, Japan, Australia and Papua New Guinea.
They told Solomon Star that they didn’t intend to break any Solomon Islands laws.
“We have followed the immigration requirements but when we get to Korovo there was no Customs officer there so we head straight to Gizo Police Station and notify them about the situation.
“Instead to our surprise they arrested us and put us under boat arrest,” one of the disappointed tourists said.
According to the tourists, on November 4 they arrived at the Solomon border after a trip from Rabaul, Papua New Guinea.
“We heard so much about the history of Solomon Islands and wanted to see the country. Our plan was to spend only two days in Solomon Islands and move on,” the tourist said.
However, they said when they checked in at the port of entry in Korovo, Shortland Islands no Customs officer was there.
“When we told Gizo police about our situation they in turn put us under boat arrest,” the tourist said.
“It was only on Saturday that we were charged for illegal entry into Solomon Islands - 18 days after we arrived.
“It is not our fault because we followed all the immigration requirements.”
The tourists said they are now running out of food, money, water and other basic necessities therefore wanted their case heard quickly.
They said even their flights back to their countries are now cancelled.
“We are now prisoners in our own boat,” the tourist said.
Chief Immigration Officer investigation prosecution Peter Mae yesterday confirmed to Solomon Star the story but refused to comment on it.
“I have nothing to say because all the information are now with Gizo Police,” Mr Mae said.
Gizo Police Station chief superintendent Bernard Roa also refused to comment on the case.
If found not guilty, the situation these four tourists are encountering today will be a blow to the country’s tourism - a sector which the country is seriously looking at reviving following the problems faced by the country in the recent past.

http://www.solomonstarnews.com/?q=node/16128
Post a reply