Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:05 pm 

Stopped in and spoke with Chuck G. at Warbird Adventure today.
Got an update on the 2 FW-190s plus new a/c they are adding to their museum.
Then over to have a look at Black 12 at Stallion 51.
5 Mustangs, a Spitfire and numerous other a/c in the hangers there.
All this and the Collings Foundation flew into Kissemmee with B-17 and B-25 after lunch.
Not bad for a Wednesday in February.
If you ever get to the Orlando area, Warbird Adventure and Stallion 51 are a great place to visit.

FW-190 Black 12

Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:04 pm 

Wow, that's beautiful & menacing at the same time; thanks for posting the pics.

Are the white prop tips per a regulation of some sort, or just for general visibility/safety? And any plans to add the swastika to the tail?

It'd sure look great with a drop tank as well....

very cool!

cheers

greg v.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Just imagine seeing this aircraft in the air on a regular basis!

Thanks for supplying these new photos Bill, it must have been a fun day for you with all of the activity that you described. I definitely need to get down there one of these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:56 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

gregv wrote:
Wow, that's beautiful & menacing at the same time; thanks for posting the pics.

Are the white prop tips per a regulation of some sort, or just for general visibility/safety? And any plans to add the swastika to the tail?

It'd sure look great with a drop tank as well....

very cool!

cheers

greg v.

The white tips are just for safety. Prop blades on WWII Luftwaffe aircraft were all one color, usually RLM 70 black-green.

Regards,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:59 am 

It looks pretty clean (no soot or exhaust stains)--no more engine runs since it arrived? Has any information been given on when flight testing will start?

Has anything been mentioned of what colors it might be painted with after flight testing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:24 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

DoraNineFan wrote:
It looks pretty clean (no soot or exhaust stains)--no more engine runs since it arrived? Has any information been given on when flight testing will start?

Has anything been mentioned of what colors it might be painted with after flight testing?

It looks like it has all ready been painted, or that is a real detailed primer job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:45 pm 

Matt Gunsch wrote:
DoraNineFan wrote:

It looks like it has all ready been painted, or that is a real detailed primer job.

I would liken the current paint job to be similar to a Luftwaffe factory prototype (without the ID number) than with a machine in service. Or a machine fresh from the factory without camouflage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:19 pm 

wls3 wrote:

FW-190 Black 12

I hope that this bird will be at Sun N Fun.

Updated twice a week!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:40 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

DoraNineFan wrote:
Matt Gunsch wrote:
DoraNineFan wrote:

I would liken the current paint job to be similar to a Luftwaffe factory prototype (without the ID number) than with a machine in service. Or a machine fresh from the factory without camouflage.

That is the final paint scheme, 'Black 12' of an undetermined JG :wink:
Maybe some Reich Defence Bands could be added at a later date :wink:

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:30 am 

And now that it is out of Germany and on US soil, the appropriate Swastika can be added in the proper position on the vertical stab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:16 am 

DaveM2 wrote:
DoraNineFan wrote:
Matt Gunsch wrote:
DoraNineFan wrote:

That is the final paint scheme, 'Black 12' of an undetermined JG :wink:
Maybe some Reich Defence Bands could be added at a later date :wink:

Dave

Actually, some Reich Defence Bands would look great on it. Maybe black and white.

BTW, I wasn't complaining about the current paint job, just wondering if anyone has said if it will wear different colors. Barring any unforseen problems with flying it, it will likely be the only airworthy Dora in the immediate future and there is potential for really eye-catching colors (and I don't mean JV44.)

For instance:
http://www.eagle-editions.com/Black-14.gif
http://www.eagle-editions.com/brown-31.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:32 pm 

I also believe that the addition of the appropriate swastika to the tail would be very desirable......so it would look similar to this one...... 8)

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:29 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Might need to take a stroll to FL soon! I'd love to see that fly!

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:27 am 

The aircraft will not fly for some time, as Stallion 51 Maint team has taken the aircraft apart and is examining the aircraft and systems to ensure the aircraft is as safe and solid as can be. Black 12 will not fly until after flight testing has been completed on T.Blairs short nose 190 in the UK. This aircraft is also undergoing a full examination and some additional work at ARCO before flying will begin. Major focus is being put on the structure and systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:27 pm 

Hunter1 wrote:
The aircraft will not fly for some time, as Stallion 51 Maint team has taken the aircraft apart and is examining the aircraft and systems to ensure the aircraft is as safe and solid as can be. Black 12 will not fly until after flight testing has been completed on T.Blairs short nose 190 in the UK. This aircraft is also undergoing a full examination and some additional work at ARCO before flying will begin. Major focus is being put on the structure and systems.

That is a shock to me :shock: as far as I've known Flug werk is a top notch shop that produces high quality work. Or is it the FAA? :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next