Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:07 am 

[/quote]

For awhile it was sitting in the grass next to KAM. That was over a year ago. There were also some pretty well beat up B-29 engines there too. All that was cleaned up sometime about a year ago. No idea what "cleaned up" entailed or where the stuff went though.[/quote]

The beat up engine/nacelle cores went into secure storage on Spirit Aerosystems property, I think. There were roughly 10 of them, though many were molten engines. They are the "parts" engines should some of the better ones ever be rebuilt. Not sure of what happened to that nose section, though there wasn't much of it. It was roughly the first 6 to 8 feet of the 41 section, shot up, blown up, with the nose bowl ripped out of it. It may be in storage also, or sent to Ohio or somewhere. Calling it a surviving airframe may be a stretch. Maybe just a "chunk".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:58 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Those torn up, burned engines are now in Midland.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:14 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Gary,
Do you know the extent of Fertile Myrtile's corrossion issues?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:51 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

APG85 wrote:
Gary,
Do you know the extent of Fertile Myrtile's corrossion issues?

The wings are quite bad. The fuselage looked pretty good. Didn't get a good look at the tail section. However, I must say that everything is rebuildable and I hope that one day, somebody takes the time and money to get that machine back in the air.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:50 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I remember seeing a book in the Air Zoo bookshop a few years back called "World In Peril" (don't recall the author) that told about the Kee Bird's military career and her loss. I believe it was written before the recovery attempt, though.

SN

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:56 pm 

Edward Sheetmetalhands wrote:

The beat up engine/nacelle cores went into secure storage on Spirit Aerosystems property, I think. There were roughly 10 of them, though many were molten engines. They are the "parts" engines should some of the better ones ever be rebuilt. Not sure of what happened to that nose section, though there wasn't much of it. It was roughly the first 6 to 8 feet of the 41 section, shot up, blown up, with the nose bowl ripped out of it. It may be in storage also, or sent to Ohio or somewhere. Calling it a surviving airframe may be a stretch. Maybe just a "chunk".

Ya, it's generous calling it even a section-41. Not much of it at all was there. It would make for an interesting static display inside of a museum though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Quote:
so it is possible that there are damages in weapon testing.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Many of the surviving B-29s were recovered from weapons test ranges at Aberdeen, MD, and China Lake, CA. The testing consisted of firing various weapons AT the aircraft, rather than FROM them. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or condescending..since it was your first post I wasn't sure if you knew the history of the aircraft.

SN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

sorry if i missed this one, but there's a partial b-29 air frame rotting away in a junk yard at the new england air musuem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:18 am 

If Disney did have remaining frames/parts from China Lake birds (or somebody digs up some in Hawaii, as per previous post) aren't those the property of the Navy perpetually, or did Disney actually buy them? I have seen the movie Last Flight of Noah's Ark, and clearly they tore up at least one B-29... and turned it into a raft! :Hangman:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:31 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

terrible

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:41 pm 

A b17 was thrown up onto its back and landed on b29 jacks hack thats how the wing was damaged

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:56 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Zachary Weibel wrote:
A b17 was thrown up onto its back and landed on b29 jacks hack thats how the wing was damaged

Are you talking to me and the b-29 at bradley?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:23 am 

whistlingdeathcorsairs wrote:
sorry if i missed this one, but there's a partial b-29 air frame rotting away in a junk yard at the new england air musuem

Mr. Andruss, the nose section you speak of is far from “rotting away” In the storage yard of NEAM.

The nose section in question was acquired for use In Jack Hack’s restoration a number of parts and fitting that Jack Hack’s was missing were used from this nose section.

Now that most of the nose work is done with Jack Hack’s the talk is that NEAM is going to fitted out the nose section as interactive display sort of like the S-2 and 707 nose section that NEAM have on display. At present it is covered with two tarps and in the winter it will be moved into one of the storage sheds.

As for you comment about NEAM Junk Yard far from it, while it may appear to you as a Junk Yard the truth is that it’s NEAM storage yard holding many airframes. Have spent many years in this back-lott I can assure you that it’s not a “Junk Yard”.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:38 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Years ago, that nose section was mounted on the outside of a building at the now disbanded Beale AFB Museum with the nose gear down and marked as "Big Time Operator". I believe it was in pretty good shape at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Buzzking wrote:
whistlingdeathcorsairs wrote:

Mr. Andruss, the nose section you speak of is far from “rotting away” In the storage yard of NEAM.

The nose section in question was acquired for use In Jack Hack’s restoration a number of parts and fitting that Jack Hack’s was missing were used from this nose section.

Now that most of the nose work is done with Jack Hack’s the talk is that NEAM is going to fitted out the nose section as interactive display sort of like the S-2 and 707 nose section that NEAM have on display. At present it is covered with two tarps and in the winter it will be moved into one of the storage sheds.
Mr. Buzzking, the nose section of the b-29 has been sitting in the same location for years now and since i'm a new england air museum member myself i know what i speak of. I was there last week and the so-called "tarp" isn't on it. As far as i can tell it's a junk yard from aircraft from the 79 tornado. Piles of rusted engines, helicopter blades on the ground, smashed aircraft. It's a junk yard overgrown with vegetation. I don't see how you look at it any differently.

As for you comment about NEAM Junk Yard far from it, while it may appear to you as a Junk Yard the truth is that it’s NEAM storage yard holding many airframes. Have spent many years in this back-lott I can assure you that it’s not a “Junk Yard”.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next