Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Buzzking wrote:
whistlingdeathcorsairs wrote:
sorry if i missed this one, but there's a partial b-29 air frame rotting away in a junk yard at the new england air musuem

Mr. Andruss, the nose section you speak of is far from “rotting away” In the storage yard of NEAM.

The nose section in question was acquired for use In Jack Hack’s restoration a number of parts and fitting that Jack Hack’s was missing were used from this nose section.

Now that most of the nose work is done with Jack Hack’s the talk is that NEAM is going to fitted out the nose section as interactive display sort of like the S-2 and 707 nose section that NEAM have on display. At present it is covered with two tarps and in the winter it will be moved into one of the storage sheds.

As for you comment about NEAM Junk Yard far from it, while it may appear to you as a Junk Yard the truth is that it’s NEAM storage yard holding many airframes. Have spent many years in this back-lott I can assure you that it’s not a “Junk Yard”.

Mr. Buzzking, the nose section of the b-29 has been sitting in the same location for years now and since i'm a new england air museum member myself i know what i speak of. I was there last week and the so-called "tarp" isn't on it. As far as i can tell it's a junk yard from aircraft from the 79 tornado. Piles of rusted engines, helicopter blades on the ground, smashed aircraft. It's a junk yard overgrown with vegetation. I don't see how you look at it any differently.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:09 pm 

Buzzking wrote:
sorry if i missed this one, but there's a partial b-29 air frame rotting away in a junk yard at the new england air musuem

Mr. Andruss, the nose section you speak of is far from “rotting away” In the storage yard of NEAM.

The nose section in question was acquired for use In Jack Hack’s restoration a number of parts and fitting that Jack Hack’s was missing were used from this nose section.

Now that most of the nose work is done with Jack Hack’s the talk is that NEAM is going to fitted out the nose section as interactive display sort of like the S-2 and 707 nose section that NEAM have on display. At present it is covered with two tarps and in the winter it will be moved into one of the storage sheds.

As for you comment about NEAM Junk Yard far from it, while it may appear to you as a Junk Yard the truth is that it’s NEAM storage yard holding many airframes. Have spent many years in this back-lott I can assure you that it’s not a “Junk Yard”.

Mr. Buzzking, the nose section of the b-29 has been sitting in the same location for years now and since i'm a new england air museum member myself i know what i speak of. I was there last week and the so-called "tarp" isn't on it. As far as i can tell it's a junk yard from aircraft from the 79 tornado. Piles of rusted engines, helicopter blades on the ground, smashed aircraft. It's a junk yard overgrown with vegetation. I don't see how you look at it any differently.

Well if the Tarp has been removed then they are removing some more items to be used in Jack Hack's, The last time I was at NEAM not only was the tarp in place the new dolly to move the nose section around had just be completed. Actually no the nose section hasn't been sitting in the same place for year two years ago it was inside the main storage building for most of the summer while the F-104 was being worked on. Last Fall the nose section was moved next to the Restoration Hanger so some parts could be removed and some measurements could be done for placing a stair's into the Nose Section when they start rebuilding it as an interactive display.

As far as your assessment that the Back-Lott is a Junk Yard you really should rethink this view. Of the airframes that were destroyed in the Tornado only six or seven still sit in the Back Area. Most of the Area has been clean up starting with the arrival of the A-10. the F-8 has gone back to the US Navy along with the Skyraider and the Demon should be leaving very soon also.

Question have you actually walk around the Back Lott and look what was their I'm guessing no you haven't if so the you can tell me off the top of your head were are the following airframe located in the Back Lott. The F4F,P-51,S-60 Nose Section all four engines and mid section from the C-124.

PS: Your assumption that I'm male is interesting to bad it's wrong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:48 pm 

a slight deviation here....That Skyraider is now parked in front of a brand spanking new lab building at China Lake.

There was the SB-29 nose that went along with Doc when it left Inyokern. The rest of that aircraft is still sitting on Airport lake as a burnt out wreck.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:14 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The NEAM B-29 nose section when it was at Beale AFB. See link below for picture and description...

http://www.johnweeks.com/b29/b29beale.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:20 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Buzzking wrote:

Question have you actually walk around the Back Lott and look what was their I'm guessing no you haven't if so the you can tell me off the top of your head were are the following airframe located in the Back Lott. The F4F,P-51,S-60 Nose Section all four engines and mid section from the C-124.

Only an F-102, the S-60 & it's Mojave spares, and C-124 nose are out side. The FM-2 and P-51 were in storage as of last fall but the P-51 (N13Y) may have been pulled out as it is scheduled to head into the restoration shop shortly.
F-102 fuselage and some smaller items may still be outside but they have done a terrific job of fitting everything inside that they can. Last fall the cover was indeed off of "Big Time Operator's" nose section.
It had lots of bondo or something similar breaking off the left side.
Not sure what you mean about the Demon going back to the Navy. I don't think we ever had a Demon.

For anybody who might think it's a junkyard you must remember that damaged aircraft, if un- restorable, can become an important parts source for other aircraft. Remember, aircraft systems cabling, and parts were similar in aircraft that are from the same era. You just don't want to throw out something that can be picked over and used to scavenge parts for the sake of others.
Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Buzzking wrote:

Several people are assuming that you are Rob Rohr...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:09 am 

Brad wrote:
Buzzking wrote:

Several people are assuming that you are Rob Rohr...

Sorry Sir,

I'm a Female and yes I know Mr. Rohr very well, but I can assure you that Mr. Rohr has kept his promise to both Mr. Rose and Mr. Keough about creating a Sock Puppet. I do believe you can't say the same for a few other Banned Folks correct.

Mr.O'Neill,

I was wrong about the Demon I should have said the 1st F4D Skyray that NEAM had which is sitting to the left side of the Back Lott compound near the S-60 nose section.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:35 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Buzzking wrote:

I would contend that your choice of nickname is as equally interesting if not more so. Just sayin...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:46 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Buzzking wrote:

Mr.O'Neill,

I was wrong about the Demon I should have said the 1st F4D Skyray that NEAM had which is sitting to the left side of the Back Lott compound near the S-60 nose section.

Yes, you are correct in that one. it was the Blue F4D airframe that was part of the old display on Route 75. I wish we had a Demon! :)
Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:14 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Again, i'm still wondering why you post on subjects that i have already touched on. You must be somebody i know. Jerry O'niell said everything correctly and yes i have been back in the junk yard several times. The A-10 and f4 phantom are outside sitting next to the building with a tarp over the cockpit. The f4-phantom is a combat veteran. The older storage/ restoration building sits in front of the gate which leads to the yard and the other storage building were the wildcat sits collecting dust. The a-26 should still be in there,( which is also a combat veteran,) unless it's in the new restoration building. Jerry touched on the subject of the b-29 having some sort bond on the aircraft. When i saw it, it seems to be covered with a type of wood and painted to look like it's skin. It even had markings on it. Prob. to protect the plane at the time from weather. There's also a back entrance to the yard which passes the fire academy. The p-51 that you speak of has been in the building for a long time and i thought it was a racer. I don't care if your a male or female, i don't seem to understand why you don't think i know what i'm talking about and why you keep posting when i do all over this website.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:51 pm 

Speaking of B-29-50-BW 42-24791 "Big Time Operator," I hope the nose section is being well taken care of as I have the tail gunner's compartment from that aircraft. In 1980 it was recovered from Mobile Smelters in Mojave by Gary Larkins when China Lake was having a range clean-up. From the looks of it, "Big Time Operator" took a missile hit in the center section. Larkins bought the nose and tail of "Big Time Operator" along with a number of other turrets for $35 a trailer load. This tail gunner's compartment sat at Grass Valley, Calif., for years before passing through a museum, then to my collection. And as you know Larkins restored the nose section and traded it to the Air Force Museum program and it ended up at Beale AFB.

B-29-50-BW 42-24791 "Big Time Operator" was delivered Oct. 17, 1944, and served with the 9th Bomb Group wearing the tail marking of X-triangle-4. According to the 9th BG's website (http://www.9thbombgrouphistory.org) the aircraft flew 46 combat missions - mostly over the Japanese home islands - and aborted on two more. After the war the plane ended up at Robbins AFB in storage (4/28/46) and was stricken on Dec. 6, 1950 and subsequently transferred to China Lake for use as a target.

The tail gunner's compartment needs work, but is surprisingly complete.
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

turretguy wrote:
Speaking of B-29-50-BW 42-24791 "Big Time Operator

The tail gunner's compartment needs work, but is surprisingly complete.
Nick

Picture please... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:35 pm 

Here's those photos:
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Buzzking wrote:
Sorry Sir,

I'm a Female and yes I know Mr. Rohr very well

Judging by your other posts I am assuming that he has helped you with both grammer and arguments. They match his perfectly. Plus he has used the name buzzkill on other boards in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:33 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Neat project! Thanks for posting the pictures!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next