Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:59 am 

G'day everyone, nice forum.
I need help in identifying the wreck of a P-39 that was recovered from the Island of Efate - Vanuatu. I have been able to confirm it had 12 exhaust stacks either side, had a red nose and probably had the number 23 painted on it just ahead of the cockpit. It was located and then recovered from the northern end of the Quoin Hill Airstrip on the North east side of Efate. An examination of the props and reduction gear indicate the props were in the feathered position at the time of impact. I am aware of some research that indicates some exchange training occured between USMC and USAAC units in the area around 1942 and 1943 so this could explain its presence at Quoin Hill. I have also located the handwritten number, 317 on the inside of the rollover bar in several spots. This number is also stamped into the instrument panel. I have spoken to a Nu Vanuatu who says he witnessed the crash when the plane was returning to Quoin hill with about 4 others of the same type. This was about late 1942 or early 1943. Any help appreciated.

cheers

Digger :D

Post subject: P-39 Identity
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:41 am 
Sorry, when I relocated the engine the data plate had been removed and the only number I can find with any consistency is the #317. There are no id plates anywhere on the aircraft remains. This wreck had been visited and scavenged a few times since it was located in the mid 1970's and the local's have had there go at pulling it apart too. I have some great shots of the engine and prop/hub assembly still in the jungle, if I could tell the difference between the canon sizes ie 20mm or 37mm it could narrow it down abit.

thanks

Digger :?

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:28 am 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

digger = gammsa?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:27 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

In Dec 1942 (exact date unknown ), 2Lt Sapp of the 12th Ftr Sqd crashed and was killed in P-39D (?) #23 at Quoin Hill, Efate. I have 2 photos of the crash-ugly! The 12th FS insignia is clearly visible on the door. Quoin Hill was used by the 44th FS and 12th FS among other sqds. has the main base before entering combat at Guadalcanal. It continued to serve has 44th FS HQ and main maintence area until the fighting moved farther up the Solomans. Lt Don Wickersham of the 44th was KIFA on Jan. 5, 1943 at Quoin Hill in a P-40F when he became disorientated from vertigo during a night flight and crashed. Try and find that one. It was from Quoin Hill that on Dec. 23, 1942 John Little's flight got lost while tailchasing after a gunnery flight and got lost. They crash landed on Erromanga together. 2 of the intact P-40Fs were salvaged at that time (Little's and Radzuikinas's) but Head's and Talbot's were left behind. They were recovered in the mid 80s and Judy Pay's s/n 41-14112 is very close to flying has it up on it's gear with merlin installed. The other s/n 41-14205 was traded to the RNZAF museum who hung an allision on it and painted it in NZ markings.
If you need any other answers feel free to contact me.
Jack Cook-Historian
44th Fighter Squadron Association