Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:35 pm 

While in this year's winter maintenance, I'd like to upgrade the 4 place intercom in our TBM Avenger to one which has greater audio levels and better noise canceling. An external audio input would also be nice to listen to appropriate 40's music from XM (GPS) while motoring about.

I have found my noise canceling headset certainly reduces the engine noise - almost too much - but it further reduces the audio from the comm radio and current intercom too, making them at almost usably low levels.

Any suggestions out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:50 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Duncan: You might want to see if the output levels on you present system can be tweaked up a bit. A TBM is a pretty harsh enviroment and it's possible that the output pots are just in need of a little adjustment. Otherwise, you might drop Jim at RST a note and see how his units would work out. If need be, I would bet that he can tweak one that would work fine.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:19 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Frank Sigona, founder of Sigtronics had one of his vox intercom in his T-28 that was so good you could carry on a conversation at take off power with no problems.

look at Sigtronics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:33 pm 

Ah, If I were only the founder/president of a major avionics firm that produces intercoms - then I am sure my intercomm would be PURRRFECT :D

I have not begun a general googling of possible i/c units, I wanted WIX member input first. We currently use a "bottom of the line" 2 place Sigtronics unit, and that was on my short list. I will contact Frank S. tomorrow.

...and RST

I will also get a manual (really) for the current unit and check the output pots. I know it is wired so the three non-pilot mikes are in parallel on the sole PAX mike input. The pilot VOX is actually working fine in spite of the non-T28 quality of canopy sealing.

Post subject: intercom
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:36 pm 
Probationary Member

I use David Clark intercom and helment. I tried a Canadian one (NAT I think) and it was useless. I have not tried PS Engineering which is also heavily adveritsed. As for Sigtronics, I have seen their ads, phoned them and I thought they told me Frank's was set up so you had to push a button for intercom transmission, rather than automatic noise cancelling. I can't be sure, it has been some years ago.

Last edited by Bill Greenwood on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:54 pm 

I have standardized on the Sigtronics SPA 400N I use it in some really loud aircraft, P-51, T-34, AT-11, Soko Galeb, etc. It has worked very well and I can talk to my passenger in the Mustang with no excessive background noise. The only thing I have to do is re adjust the squelch for take off only. After I pull back to cruise I can turn the squelch back down.

This unit was originally suggested by a well known T-28 guy. I used it and like it. He later moved on to another brand. My buddy tried it in his Mustang and it sucked.

I have been known to buy the SPA 400 used on Ebay and then send it to Sigtronics for a $20.00 upgrade to N status. They are readily available used since so many are upgrading to the new audio panels with built in intercoms.

I don't think the SPA 400 N has aux music inputs but their new model may have it.

If I adjust to take off power it works just as well as in cruise.

I use the Bose 2 series headsets or the Bose 1. The Bose 10's do not work as well in the extremely loud low frequencies.

Post subject: music
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:59 pm 
Probationary Member

Re: aux music: If you are flying behind a Merlin, what more music do you need?

Post subject: Re: music
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Bill Greenwood wrote:
Re: aux music: If you are flying behind a Merlin, what more music do you need?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inagaddadavida :wink:

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:05 am 

FYI, we use a PS Engineering PM1200 in TORA 101 and it works just great. Voice actuated, with a push-to-use manual backup.

Doug Jackson, Owner/Pilot, TORA 101

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:15 am 

For me, the TBM is not as loud as the 25 or Super Cat, but with a 2600-20, I'd call Mark at PS Engineering and explain your needs.

Also, this year I took the plunge purchased a pair of Bose 10X after experiencing my copilots' ability to discern ATC transmissions (wearing his Bose) better than I could. I have used them in the B-17 a lot this past season on our ride tour. I have to admit they're a significant improvement over my previous NC headsets - Clark and Sigtronic. Very noticible - and more comfortable. So you may wish to look at a combination of equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:47 am 

Good ideas all, but I am surprised by not noticing any trend or standout leader. My own NC headset is a Sennhauser, very light weight and comfortable around-ear. I want to set up i/c first, then will consider helmet or other NC setups.

I think the B-25 is the loudest environment of all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:35 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

tora101 wrote:
FYI, we use a PS Engineering PM1200 in TORA 101 and it works just great. Voice actuated, with a push-to-use manual backup.

Doug Jackson, Owner/Pilot, TORA 101

We had our PMA6000 units sent to PSI Engineering and they incorporated a mod for the VOX circuit. This changes the keying threshold and allows it to work in the Mustang.
I heard a rumor that they no longer will do this mod.
We use the PMA6000 as it also allows you to select between VOX and PTT for the intercom. You can get aux inputs. We have a tone generator for gear warning wired in as well. With all the NC headsets it is hard to hear a gear horn.
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:38 pm 

Just to add to my previous post with regard to the PM1200, up in the front chair I wear a Gallet LH250 helmet with the Headsets Inc ANR upgrade and Oregon Aero pads. The Headsets ANR system works just great as long as I wear a beanie so that the electronics do not get wet from any sweat.

In the back seat and where it is a lot quieter, Peg wears a stock HGU55 with the normal electronics.

Any airshow riders we fly at airshows use our stock David Clark non-ANR headset . . . and we never had a complaint on noise. But we do need to remind each to have the mic right up against the lips when talking, otherwise the aircraft noise overpowers their voice. If they can hear themselves, I can hear them is what we brief them.

All work very well together, reliable, even in our hard 20+ airshow environment we do each year.

Doug Jackson
Owner/Pilot TORA 101
www.tora101.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:45 am 

I use a special type of microphone in both open cockpit and high noise closed cockpits, allows you to speak at normal volume levels whilst cutting out most background noise. Saves getting that sore throat at the end of a days instructing. They have been used to good effect in P-51, Yak-3, Staggerwing and many open cockpit machines (even screaming 2 stroke ultralights).

If anyone wants info about these mics just PM me.

Have also had good results with both the Sigtronics N series High Noise Environment intercoms and the NAT intercoms.