Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:14 am 

I'm really sorry that it has come to this. The Pink Lady is maintained to EU airworthy standards and is therefore in great flying condition.

My last email correspondence with Michel Bézy was some time ago, but he said that when the money finally ran out they would hanger the airplane at Mulen in preparation for transfer to La Ferte Allais.

It's a one way trip. The runway is not long enough to ever fly her out of there once she lands. There is also no hangar space to put her in, so she will have to sit outside.

I hope our French WIX cousins will forgive me, but with no active web site or membership drive across Europe this was always going to happen.

I would love to see the aircraft based in Switzerland where they still seem to have a more enlightened view of old airplanes.

This isn't sitting on a wharf somewhere remote in need of a total restoration, this is a AIRWORTHY B-17 that flew at least FIVE missions in WW2.

I know the Dollar is not at it's strongest right now, but if ever there was a time for a American citizen with suitable funds to get the cheque book out ~ this is it.

Maybe it's not too late for a Corporate sponsor to come forward and keep this airplane flying. ( European WIX lurkers ~ put your thinking caps on NOW before it's too late )

And maybe if a B-17 is needed at La Ferte Alais, the Musee De 'lAir has one that's been sitting in storage for many years ..... perhaps there is "something" they would be prepared to consider a three way airplane swap. Then everybody wins.

That doesn't seem to be the case right now ~ we are collectively all going to loose a flyable B-17 ...... :cry:

Peter

Consolidated by US state ~ see if there's a heavy bomber tour stop coming to an airport near you ...... http://www.bomberflight.info

Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:55 am 

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting the Pink Lady crew in May 1999. Michael Bezy (2nd Pilot, former Air France pilot) was my host and the entire crew (some of who have posted here) was most cordial and really made my visit extra special.
They do an outstanding job of maintaining Pink Lady and have always flown a very precise & graceful display.
Personally, I like the idea of B17's flying in European skies, like they did 60+ years ago. I hope they can find a corporate sponsor or corporate owner.
Hello Red Bull...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:39 am 

I must say that I feel very bad about this development in relation to my French friends........BUT.......an airworthy B-17 MUST NOT BE GROUNDED!!

Surely there is a B-17 not unlike Lacy Lady that could be fixed up for display in France.

PLEASE!!! Lets find a displayable B-17 to send to France and lets move this plane somewhere it can continue flying!! I would like to see it come home to the U.S., personally.

Ted

Post subject: Re: Pink Lady
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:48 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

F3V wrote:
airnutz wrote:
I was wondering...if the owner could sell her/or incorporate her(on paper) and register and insure her
in the U.S., but base her at La Ferte Allais with her French owner with an N-number??

Good idea but I don't know if it's could be possible for FTV

Ooops...I forgot about the runway length...a beautiful setting for the smaller warbird types tho.
I hope Pink Lady finds her "a Richard Branson" before it's too late. It's sad to
think of an airworthy B-17 being stored outside condemned to a slow death.

She would be better of sold and visit France from time to time. Good luck!
Thank-you for the news F3V!

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:36 pm 

Tigercat wrote:
I must say that I feel very bad about this development in relation to my French friends........BUT.......an airworthy B-17 MUST NOT BE GROUNDED!!

We need a Millionnaire to pay the insurance did you know where we could have one?...

Two or three million dollars for 50 hours to fly a year... :(

Half Pint: the real story of the Pink Lady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:57 pm 

F3V,

They don't change an engine only to make a flight from Melun to La Ferté-Alais.
The cost of a new engine is higher and i think it's for a new season of flight.

SPang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:15 pm 

It has to be paid the luxury to have a motor of spare but I am not on that celà was made in 2004 on the motor 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mike wrote:
chico wrote:
I hate to see a flying B-17 grounded, even if she will be well cared for.

Then talk to that bunch over at Dayton. They've got a perfectly airworthy, ex-French B-17G with combat history parked up in one of their big sheds!

Sorry to hear that news, I always looked forward to seeing 'Pink Lady', especially in formation with 'Sally B' at Duxford's 'Flying Legends' show on a number of occasions.

That big shed? Wow that's nice. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:25 pm 

if a millionaire read these lines here is the address of the association:
Association "Forteresse toujours volante"
Aérodrome de Cerny
91590 La Ferté Allais
France
Phone: +33.(0)16-457-5585
Fax: +33(0)16-457-4487

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I am saddened by the situation but I was thinking the worst as I was reading the title of the post, so I was a little relieved to read the story.

This is the same situation that caused an issue with Sally B correct?

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:53 pm 

Sally B is comparatively protected by Mr Richard Branson, alas in France we do not have it but if somebody lucky of the United States wants to pay insurance, a theft in B-17 would be given to him I think...

We never know... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:46 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

F3V wrote:
a theft in B-17 would be given to him

F3V, I think mean "flight", not theft. Theft translates as "vol" in French.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:06 pm 

I would be a shame for it to leave France, but if it means another flying Fort....perhaps a new home isn't such a bad idea.... at least its a flying shape... and no lengthy restoration would be needed....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:23 am 

You know anything is definitely played in France there is a debate because the association communicates not much and everybody broadcasts information of who go to everything senses, according to certain having not initiated it would fly even next year. In reality, me I accepted there are two months of official news from the direction of the association saying to me that it was finished and all sources except one confirm that she would stop flying. To sum up, in France it is every year the same thing in the same periods all the world argues to know who will be right, me I broadcast information in the hope that somebody helps the plane.

There is fifty three years which she fly in France, that's why to us is so tied to her (so as to argue sometimes)