Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:52 pm 

RMAllnutt wrote:
n5151ts wrote:
it doesnt change much and I can't help but feel that is criminal to hang those machines in the air and not allow them to fly....

Criminal!!! You must be joking. These aircraft are incredibly original airframes. You need to have some of them preserved like that. Not everything should be made to fly again. Don't get me wrong, I love flyers, but you would have to replace so much on these birds to get them flying again. I'd much rather have a mostly non-original flyer come from a bad wreck, than one of these aircraft.

Too true. I know the Duxford boys crashed their ME-109 a few years back - I think it was the only one flying with original engine (not Hispano-Suiza sp?), but could be wrong on the last point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:56 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

ATAIU ...................Allied Technical Air Intellegence Unit! Wonder why they just used the initials, would have to have a FW200 to paint all that on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

T2 Ernie wrote:
Too true. I know the Duxford boys crashed their ME-109 a few years back - I think it was the only one flying with original engine (not Hispano-Suiza sp?), but could be wrong on the last point...

Um.. Sort of.

Messerschmitt Bf-109G-6 'Black 6' Registered G-USTV was and is owned by the RAF Museum; it was restored over a twenty year period by a team led by Russ Snadden, with little help and a good deal of hindrance from the RAF and the RAF Museum.

It was as original as possible - very little of the structure or skinning had been replaced, and it had been set up and restored to as original a condition as possible with effectively no compromise, and highly accurate colours - yes, it did have it's original German engine, a DB605.

It flew very successfully for some years, based in co-operation with the IWM at Duxford, the IWM effectively operating it (this had nothing to do with any of the other organisations at DX).

On its last flight before the aircraft's retirement to static display, the pilot overshot the runway at Duxford and overturned the aircraft in the field on the opposite side of the motorway. There was some confusion created by reports of a vapour trail from the aircraft. It seems difficult to get around an incorrect radiator setting and a mismanaged landing - but I'm no expert, and so I refer you to the AAIB report. The aircraft broke its back, but was otherwise not badly damaged, and the pilot volunteered to remain trapped while they lifted the aircraft, rather than being cut out, thus avoiding further damage to the machine.

There was no evidence of any mechanical problem with the aircraft or the restoration to cause the accident. (Report here: http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/df ... 501760.pdf ).

After some wrangling over the need to tender for the job, the same team re-rebuilt the aircraft to airworthy but inhibited condition. It is now on static display at the RAF Museum Hendon.

There are lessons to be learnt, but it's vital to start with the correct data. I would strongly recommend getting Russ' book on Black 6 for the full story of the rebuild, if you want to understand one of the best and toughest jobs undertaken in the biz.

Black 6 : The Extraordinary Restoration of a Messerschmitt Bf 109
Author(s): Snadden, Russell
ISBN10: 1852604255
ISBN13: 9781852604257
Format: Hardcover
Pub. Date: 5/1/1993
Publisher(s): Motorbooks Intl (PSL in the UK)

Regards,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Unfortunately the entire rear fuselage had to be replaced with a new build unit.
There are several Spanish built aircraft flying with the DB engine also.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DaveM2 wrote:
Unfortunately the entire rear fuselage had to be replaced with a new build unit.

Are you sure? (I'm sure you're sure...;) ) My recollection was much of the rear fuselage was salvaged and repaired - I certainly recall seeing the pieces being worked on. For clarity I'll ask Russ.
DaveM2 wrote:
There are several Spanish built aircraft flying with the DB engine also.

All depends on what we mean here -
Black 6 was the only Messerschmitt to fly with it's own, original DB engine.

AFAIK, no Messerschmitt-derived Hispanos have flown with Hispano engines.

There have been a number of Hispano Buchons fly with Merlins - maybe some including their own, original Merlin engine, certainly the BoB film a/c would count... Some have since been re-engined with DB605s - taking them back to the design and 'originality' of being a Me-109G type - but they weren't originally engined with DBs nor were those ever completed as 109Gs.

A couple of aircraft have been rebuilt and claims of being 'Messerschmitt 109J' (the German paperwork term for the export machines) or 'original' Messerschmits with 'original' German IDs. I've yet to see any solid proof, and I'm fully aware of some attempts to fudge histories and claim 109 heritage with false or misleading data.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

n5151ts wrote:
it doesnt change much and I can't help but feel that is criminal to hang those machines in the air and not allow them to fly....

Ah, yes, warbirds as evangelical religion... :D

:rolleyes: must fly everything... must fly everything... :rolleyes:

None of these aircraft were or near airworthy condition when obtained by the IWM. So, no 'allow', but major rebuild / cost to put them back in the air. Let's have a look at viabilities.

P-51D 'Big Beautiful Doll' (ringer) We need another Mustang?

Zeppelin gondola. First catch your Zeppelin. ;) (There is one, but I don't think they'll take this 'aboard'...)

Fw-190. This is the top unit of a Mistel combination - too historic to fly, I'd suggest. If you are that keen, buy a far cheaper Flug Werke version. If you must have an original, I'm sure the White 1 team will be happy to meet your wallet.

Spitfire Mk.I. One of the most historic and original Spitfires left, including its 1944 paint, and with combat history from the Battle of Britain. A rebuild to fly would dispose of much of the original metal, most of those rivets and all of the historic paint (irreplaceable to future researchers in all cases). If you want a Mk.I Spitfire, I'm sure HFL will sort you out, and it'd (probably) cost less than the theoretical rebuild here, but this Spitfire is held for the people of the UK by the IWM. Not for sale at any price, yes, really, no, I'm not arguing about it.

BE-2. Not going to fly, but there's a Tiger Moth based replica being rebuilt in the UK, and I think we'll see BE-2s appear soon from somewhere else...

V-1 & V-2. Gee. What are we waiting for? Should be a blast at shows.

Lancaster nose 'Old Fred', ex-RAAF. Most missing. We have two airworthy Lancs. It'd be nice to have a Lanc flying in, say, Aus, but I don't think it could make ends meet. If it was a serious proposal, you'd not start here, there are better alternatives.

He-162. Wooden wing from 1945... Nope, not going to fly. However, there is plans to get another He-162 rebuilt to airworthy, which is the result of a complex international trade across three continents, and the guy that's planning it has a good track record. Likely to happen. He doesn't sit there talking about it either.

Cully's Camel. Too historic to risk. Want a Camel? You can buy or make one. Engine's tricky, but can be got round (pun intended.)

ATAIU Zero. Some assembly from your own parts required. And that's original paint again, BTW. If you want a Zero, gosh, you just hand over a lot of cash and you can have one. They don't seem to do as well on the market as their historic importance would merit, but silly of me, they aren't a Mustang - who'd want one? :(

Summary. There's nothing here that would be a best option as a restore to fly if they were for sale (which they aren't). Interestingly, for my warbird fundamentalist friends, if you are prepared to put your money with your religion, there are 'cheaper' alternatives awaiting your cash in most cases, as above - we aren't missing out anywhere. 'Cheaper' means better value lower cost projects, but that's the only time you'll hear 'cheap' in that context. Otherwise very, very, very expensive with no real return on investment.

Sorry about the rant, no offence intended to N5151TS, but there's a place for both static preservation by national institutions and also others operating ex-military aircraft. Rather than a knee-jerk reaction each time someone posts some excellent shots of a museum, like here, I'd like people to have a think about the 'must fly' approach. It's simply silly (IMHO) to believe 'everything' should be flown. I'd like to see a lot more fly, we will see a lot more fly, but for every interesting historic type there's going to be a bunch of cheaper trainers (great) and more Mustangs. That's no tragedy either. Sadly, though, there's a lot of viable restore to fly projects lacking support, out there, right now, so lay off the museums, find one and get stuck in, if you are a dooer not a talker.

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:31 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Now look what you've gone and done, you've set James off on one again!

Personally, I think that, being a national collection, they should smarten them up a bit by stripping off some of the tattier paint jobs (such as that rather tired looking Spitfire) and polish them up to a lovely shiny mirror finish, just like that nice P-47 in the NMUSAF!

And don't even get me started on that tatty old Corsair at Yeovilton...............

Last edited by Mike on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mike wrote:
Now look what you've gone and done, you've set James off on one again!

:rofl: :badpc: :crispy: :roo: :hide: :angry: :snipe: :vom: :partyman: :finga: :rolleyes:

Beats work though. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JDK, I could not have said it better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And Mike, the P-47D in the NMUSAF has no combat history, so we decided to shine her up and honor a veteran with it.

Post subject: Fly?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:50 pm 
Probationary Member

I think it is fine to have that BoB MkI hanging there, as original as it could be. Sure I would love to fly a MK I, and the aura of an actual combat vet would be something like walking into the Alamo. But we don't need to fly and risk all the real old ones, especially if it would be changed in any restoration.

Post subject: Re: V-2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:00 pm 
Lightjug wrote:

I dragged my wife into this one back in '91, great museum.

I honeymooned there in April of '92 and my lovely (new) wife earned her stripes when she allowed me to go to the IWM alone while she went off on her own to check out Royal wedding dresses at some other museum. No dragging involved!

Dave G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:07 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

James

Positive, they were working on it when I was Duxford in 2000, and I spoke to Russ at that time. Crumpled fuselage was in the corner, the new build was done at Airframe Assemblies. A crying shame for that to happen on its last flight!

Dave

p.s Don't get me started on Buchon owners saying they have one of the 'original 25' German built airframes that were sent to Spain :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

is #2 a crude bomb?? or a barrage balloon?? as to the zeke.... it hasn't changed a bit from the original ww2 pic when it was captured. hope it's semi preserved at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

[quote=as to the zeke.... it hasn't changed a bit from the original ww2 pic when it was captured. hope it's semi preserved at least.[/quote]

Huh? It is preserved, at the IWM!

Dave