Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Fantastic!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:56 am 

I'm all the way up in PA, so getting down to help might not work, though I can and will donate to the cause. Thanks for posting an address. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:52 am 

The photo of me and the other guy in the cockpit of is new member Chuck Conway. He's a hard worker and will be a great asset in getting "Raiders" back in the air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:10 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Also:

UPDATED Jan. 16 2008 NEW ADDRESS TO SEND DONATIONS...
The other post has also been updated in EDIT MODE:

CAF- Gulf Coast Wing
18042 CR 127
Pearland, TX 77581
Attn: Mark Allen

previous "disclaimer" still applies. :D

Workdays and nights are:
Saturdays from 9 AM 'til the last badged individual goes home.
If it's me, that's around 5:30 PM

Tuesday nights from 6:00 PM ish to 9:00 ish.
Again, the acolytes work later and you are welcome to keep 'em company!

Thanks and God Bless you all for even THINKING of helping..

Last edited by SPANNERmkV on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:03 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Le Check in Le Mail for the "Git - R - In The Air" Fund :wink:
We were almost in Houston today, Sugarland, Texas and had lunch at Willie's Ice House just down the road form the airport.....

Lynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:26 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Ken H.,

I'll bet it feels nice sitting in the cockpit of a good looking bomber again after being around our old tub for all these months! 8) It will be great to see TR back in the skies, keep up the great work everyone.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:22 am 

Quote:
It will be great to see TR back in the skies, keep up the great work everyone.

Amen to that ! God speed your efforts all you "TR" WIXers this winter :D

Peter

Consolidated by US state ~ see if there's a heavy bomber tour stop coming to an airport near you ...... http://www.bomberflight.info

Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Decent Saturday at the TR Hangar.
Attendance was low, but productivity was high and lunch was GREAT!!!
More brackets were installed on Firewall #4 Engine.
A couple more flap transmissions were bead blasted and primed.
"Bud and the hosers" were doing something on top of the right wing.
As reported, the Chin Turret had to be removed and some corrossion was found in the gun tub. There was some teeth gnashing, but the argument was settled when the magic question was asked..."Would you rather fix it now? Or wait until we have it flying and have to shut her down to go address a known problem?"
Sanity ruled!
Sorry the picture doesn't show the corrossion better, but believe me, it's there and it WON'T be when the gun tub is re-installed.
Thank you WIXers for the support We have been getting via PMs and posts.
Cheers, SPANNER aka Don Price

PS- DEVIL DOG B25- small donation to your engine fund on its way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Had to repost this one from messages (with permission from MattP38)
AND if you (or any of you out there) have pictures of you and your family and loved ones in front of TEXAS RAIDERS from the thrilling days of yesteryear...
Scan 'em and send 'em. It's what it's all about!

Don,

I am a native from S/E PA. My father was an avid aviation enthusiast. The B-17, along with the PBY- and B-58 were his favorites He taught my brother and I a lot, and he would take us along with my mom to many an air show when we were younger. One of my earliest memories is being 3 years old, and waiting in line to see I believe it was Texas Raiders, or Thunderbird. The excitement on my and my brother's faces is abundant. Looking at those pictures I can remember waiting to climb aboard and how hot the summer time tarmac was. I am 29, now. Over the years, we continued to attend various air shows and fly ins, (my mom usually opted out) all the while taking our time with whichever B-17(s) showed up.

In 2003 we lost my dad unexpectedly, and it was and is the biggest shock of our lives. On the day of his service, a B-17 flew over our house. I still get choked up every time I think about that. The next day I went to a local air show, and spoke to the crew of Aluminium Overcast, and told them about my father, etc. They were very moved and allowed me to have a look around for free. I felt honored and made sure to leave a donation.

Sorry for the long explanation, but the B-17 has always had a special place in my heart, and to help get yours back in the air would be more than an honor for me. Just promise you will get her to S/E PA at some point, that way I can have a close look at all the fantastic restoration work.

All the best,
MattP38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Spanner,
Where do you go and who do you check in with to go work on TR? Hobby is half the driving distance to Lone Star and I may be able to get down there on some Saturdays when a run down to Galveztawn doesn't work out.

Doug Ratchford
vol LSFM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Doug,
Before I forget...LSFM Veterans Day-Fly Day was AWESOME!!! Great Hurricane LSFMers!!!
I was the maniac selling T-shirts because THEY WERE going out of style!

I hit the odometer at the Monroe exit on my way to LSFM for yesterday's event and by the time I passed Monroe coming home I had driven an extra 75 miles. I have no regrets other than not buying a ride on the B17, the B25, the Stearman, and hiding in the stowage area of the Hurricane!!!

Directions...
On 45 South take the Monroe exit. Take a right. Go past the next Light at Airport Blvd.... Go the next street, Panair (by the Rental Car lot) and take a right.
Take a left at the next street, which happens to be West Monroe. Go about half a mile to Nelms and take a right.

We are at 8411 Nelms, the last hangar on the right. Anytime after 9 AM Sat. just knock on the door and someone will get you signed in. If THEY don't find something for you to do I will!
I am not there Tuesday nights, but from 6:30 to 9:30ish there is usually a work party going on. Phone Number is : 713-649-7227 but I don't even know where to answer it! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:07 am 

Spanner,

What's the plan for the top turret restoration :D

Peter

Consolidated by US state ~ see if there's a heavy bomber tour stop coming to an airport near you ...... http://www.bomberflight.info

Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Top Turret?
That subject has been known to give some GCWers Tourettes Syndrome.
There are those that say we should not put it in because it restricts the Flight Engineers movement and we could put two more jumpseats in that area.
CAN YOU SAY WARBIRD RIDES? :D and more revenue?

But those are fightin' words to those that think the next generation would be DEPRIVED if they didn't have the opportunity to bark their shins and bump their heads just like they did in Dubya Dubya Double Eye!

I wish I could have it both ways. I really do.
I have done some preservation work on the gears with the brass brush and the Corrossion-X because either way we go, We don't need to let the mechanism go to seed.

I love Thunderbird having its top turret in, but I have indeed bumped me noggin on it.
I hate to think of all the extra fuel it takes to haul the weight uphill and back. I used to think it wasn't that big of a deal until I read the MacKay book on the 381st and he discussed the planning that went on for longer missions ie more fuel (petrol), less bombs and then the final months of the war when the 8th AF removed the ball turrets all together to save petrol and increase speed. (Our ball turret is staying! Don't start salivating all you turret guys! :lol:)

Anybody want to help wrestle over this issue with us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanksgiving Progress Report
We held our election for Gulf Coast Wing last Saturday.
Yours truly was nominated as Wing Leader... I know... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??? :lol:
It is a contested position and we won't know the results until Dec. 17th so wish me luck WIXers!

All Photos by Kevin Hong!
Ron Dietes came in from normal duties with YELLOW ROSE to lend a hand on #3 Firewall. He also became a Texas Raiders PILOT-SPONSOR which demonstrates the kind of faith that makes us all think we are going to get this bird in the air SOON!

Col. Robins setting up the Navigator's Dome ring. Note the new plexiglass windows (Col. Robin's work with assistance from Bill Steffel and others. They still have the protective covers on them so they won't get damaged.
Rick Robins is known as "The Cockpit Troll"... Published on "another" website was a comment about how people hoped we didn't rush Texas Raiders back into the air just to make an Airshow! With Rick restoring EVERYTHING he touches to the highest degree I hope some of those fears are allayed! TROLL ON!!! :supz: Note the top notch job Col. Robins is doing on the Nose. We weren't going to paint the interior. Col. Robins said, "You want to bet?" Some of the Old Guarde have been worried about Rick's high standards slowing us down. By the time they get through kvetching Rick is on to HIS next Objective. I will try and get photos of the Cockpit where "The TROLL" has already worked his magic. He also gets kudos for finding the aforementioned gookempucky in the Hydraulic System, so don't think he's just a "Cosmetologist!" :shock:
Kevin Hong again gets photo credits for these. Here is the BEST overall shot of TR I've seen since it arrived at its hangar at HOBBY
NOTE the geek in the suit! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Is the exterior getting a strip and re-paint, scuff sand and re-paint, or just a touch-up? Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

SPANNERmkV wrote:
Top Turret? That subject has been known to give some GCWers Tourettes Syndrome. There are those that say we should not put it in because it restricts the Flight Engineers movement and we could put two more jumpseats in that area. CAN YOU SAY WARBIRD RIDES? :D and more revenue?

I'll chime in on this one, for what it's worth.

I've been aboard B-17s with and without the top turret assembly installed, and I've crewed Chuckie a number of times on local flights and air show outings. I, too, have mixed feelings about having the turret installed. So, I guess I'll commence to arguing with myself about it. :roll:

With the turret in place, movement is rather restricted on the flight deck. I've been aboard two B-17s with a complete top turret installed, and flown on one of those. Aboard that ship, two of the "Flight Experience Guests" (they're NOT passengers, 'cuz that ain't legal! :wink: ) ride on the flight deck for takeoff and landing. They sit on the floor, facing aft, squeezed in between the flight crew's seats and the turret base, with the flight engineer standing up between them. I've hunkered down there myself for landing. It was very uncomfortable, and obviously there's no interesting view for the Guests, who not only can't see outside the airplane but can't even watch the flight crew do their jobs (which is something that's very interesting to most Guests). On that particular ship, having the turret installed did not limit the number of Guests that could fly. Having the turret installed really adds to the airplane's wartime authenticity. I'm a big fan of authenticity in a restoration when it's possible and practical. I must say that it was really cool for me and the other Guests to be able to stand up in that cramped turret and imagine what it might have been like for the gunner as he was taking aim at a gaggle of incoming Bf-109s!

There are certainly advantages to not having the top turret installed. As most of you know, we don't have a top turret installed on Chuckie (we have an exterior-only replica, which looks pretty darned good from the outside). Instead, we have two military aircraft seats installed behind the pilot and copilot, facing forward, which means that our flight engineer and the "observer" have real seats to sit on for takeoff and landing, and they have a "view". It's much more comfortable for both of them, and it makes for a better experience for the Guest, who made a multi-hundred-dollar cash donation to our Museum prior to flying with us. If you've ever been aboard any B-17, you know that space is at a premium. It's not easy for the Guests or the crew to move around in the flight deck with the turret assembly taking up so much room. We often have Guests ask where the top turret is or where it should be, but I don't recall anyone complaining because we don't have one. In fact, I've had a few Guests tell me they're glad it isn't there, because it would restrict movement in the airplane. The extra weight has already been mentioned by someone else. Extra weight means extra fuel consumption. Those big ol' Studebakers are plenty thirsty without lugging a few hundred extra pounds aloft. We do have a partial top turret assembly in storage. It needs a lot of work and lacks a lot of parts (and it's NOT for sale). There has occasionally been discussion about trying to restore it and install it on the airplane. Whenever the topic comes up, the general concensus is to leave it out, for the very reasons I've just mentioned.

So... with a tip o' the hat to Howie Mandel... Turret, or No Turret? 8) What a quandary! Dang, I was hoping that I'd end up on one side of the fence or the other, but that apparently isn't going to happen. :oops: Maybe someone else can come up with the definitive answer? Maybe not. :roll:

In either case -- turret or not -- please support the few remaining flyable B-17s! Help keep them operational so that future generations can see and appreciate them the way we do.

Cheers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 63  Next