Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Canso42 wrote:
Can we have identification of some of Mr Soplata's inventory in that aerial photo? The B-25 and AD and the B-36 nose are obvious but what about the rest?
Canso42.

Mike Henniger was kind enough to put togehter a spread sheet on Walt's stuff.
It can be found here:
http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.o ... loads.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:35 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ok, what I want to know is, in the picture Jim H posted of the overhead, where in the yard was this FG-1D? And how in the wide world of sports did they get the thing out?! I would think they would have to dissasemble it into sub-assemblies or use a crane? Surely one of you guys knows this?
Also, doesn't Ken Mcbride have a Mustang painted up in canadian markings flying? Or is it not flying anymore?
T.I.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:36 am 

It could have been another one but Walter had one Corsair indoors, down in a basement. I didn't see it but a good friend of mine involved with warbirds actually was there and saw it many years ago. Again, not sure if it is the FG-1D in this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:36 am 

It sat just in front of the B-25, with wings folded a a metal structure over the center. That picture was before nature woke up. You should see it now with all of the foliage and vegetation. It looks completely different and really makes you scratch your head on how it was removed. I would love to see photos of the operation, if any were taken.
------------------------
So, does mean the aircraft will sit in a hangar somewhere at South County airport?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The corsair in Walts basement is the cockpit section of FG-1A Bu.13481 "Lucky Gallon" which Cook Cleland raced in the 1946 Thompson Trophy race. I have always wanted to know how much of this aircraft actually survived. I remember Walt telling me that he was forced to scrap a good chunk of it during a very cold winter when he needed money to heat his house. It broke his heart to do it, but... those were different times, and no one would have paid him more than scrap value. It's too bad, but Walt did save an awful lot, and is one of my personal heroes.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
I have always wanted to know how much of this aircraft actually survived.

Basically the tailcone and the entire span of the wing were scrapped, minus the landing gear and wing flaps which he unbolted and kept on site. Those bits aside, all that remains of the plane is the cockpit center section (no center wing) and everything forward of the firewall.

http://www.robmears.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:28 pm 

Here is a picture a friend took many years ago, of the Corsair that was sold

Kenn[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Man, I really wish she would have ended up at MAPS. Is there any word on maybe the new owner either letting MAPS do the restoration, or have it on loan to them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:50 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I am disappointed MAPS was not approached, a display like that could really help to turn around the museum.

Maybe some deals can be worked.

Is there still the Corsair with the wings folded near the "Skyraider". It was there when I took some aerial pics a few months ago? Is that the one that sold as the pic above the wings were off and it look near the B-36.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:16 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Rob Mears wrote:
Quote:
I have always wanted to know how much of this aircraft actually survived.

Basically the tailcone and the entire span of the wing were scrapped, minus the landing gear and wing flaps which he unbolted and kept on site. Those bits aside, all that remains of the plane is the cockpit center section (no center wing) and everything forward of the firewall.

Thanks for the follow-up Rob. Does anyone have pictures of the remains? (I would understand if you can't post them. I was asked by Walt not to publish anything, and will keep to my word so long as he wishes it.)

Cheers,
Richard

Post subject: New news on Walter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:26 pm 

Was at the Lost Nation air show in Willoughby Ohio this weekend and Walter was there. A friend that I know was told by him that EVERYTHING is up for SALE, but wants it to stay in OHIO. Walter told him that the IRS is on him like stink on $%*#.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sounds like MAPS should get on this like "White on Rice".

I think Walt should make a big deal out of the sale and publicly announce it through the media. Instead of doing the word of mouth route. I would think he'd maxime his profit that way.

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The government should be ashamed of themselves for trying to take advantage of something they have no business sticking their noses into. They sold this stuff as scrap, end of story. They can not tax you on owning scrap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the list of Wally's place. The quantity and variety is mind-boggling to say the least. Much of it gets Mr. S. at least three cheers and a cold brewski but I personally wonder why he saved crash debris. If it's not a super-rare type or individually significant a/c, it kind of bothers me that someone is going after fatal crash remains like the Blue Angel wreck to be specific.
I'm not trying to criticize the man, I'm just a bit clueless here.

Doug Ratchford , 'Canso42'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:53 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

oscardeuce wrote:
Is there still the Corsair with the wings folded near the "Skyraider". It was there when I took some aerial pics a few months ago? Is that the one that sold as the pic above the wings were off and it look near the B-36.

The FG-1 that was sold was the one with the wings folded by the Skyraider.
Jerry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next