Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:54 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Look on the bright side Gary, this thread sure attracted the girls. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:58 pm 

retroaviation wrote:

How many WIXers does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to bring politics into the discussion by adding that George W. isn't
the brightest bulb.

4 more to get into personal attacks over their political views.

1 moderator to lock the light bulb thread.

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and
start it all over again.

Gary

You forgot to add a couple

3 to argue that the original bulb deserves to be restored by a museum interested in shining it so that future generations should enjoy it, even if it it's sitting currently shattered in the bottom of the trashcan....

1 to come along and swipe the serial number off the old bulb to use it in his own 'restoration project'

and...........

27 to argue whether or not the old bulb should be allowed overseas after it's restored :twisted:

I'm going to run and hide now.

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:31 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

To many people with way to much times on their hands :shock: :wink:

Post subject: Re: ???
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jack Cook wrote:

Isn't that the definition of the internet?

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:40 am 

Don't forget..............

1 to warn the others about not saying too much in case the US Navy finds out about the bulb and might try to claim it back with a law change.

( I do miss his fervor)

....... and by the way I do work with lights and some lighting techs do get awfully upset when you call a lamp a bulb....."a bulb is something you plant in the garden, its a LAMP!".......I've heard that soo many times, personally, I don't give a rats a**. :roll:

Post subject: Re: ???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JDK wrote:
Jack Cook wrote:

Isn't that the definition of the internet?

I never knew how true that was until I started watching some of the stuff on youtube!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:46 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

beachgirl wrote:
So Gary, where are the pix of the reconstruction of the lightbulb (since the original parts are no longer available), and also, could you please provide the sketch that's needed as a "template" since that's all that's available to base the said reconstruction on?????

Oooookay. Be careful what you wish for! ;-)

......Today's work started with the discovery of an old light bulb in the CAF inventory. It has the standard repairs that I've come accustomed to finding, but was somehow still operational. It just needed to be "Austinized"..........

The first step was to remove the old "repairs" and see what was under them. Fortunately, only small issues were discovered and the primary structure had no JB Weld holding it together..........

Fortunately, I was able to find an appropriate cleaning compound and make a permanent fix, rather than one of those "Band Aid" repairs. It's better to be lucky than good, I reckon......

In order to get this light bulb operational, I needed to take a look at the drawings. However, it seems that our light bulb is an "A" model and the drawings for such equipment is rare, since there were only limited numbers produced. Photographs of this model are also extremely rare, which has made this project quite difficult to continue on with. But if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough, and I decided that the one, very poor quality drawing I had was just going to have to work. If nothing else, I could use it as a reference to give me ideas on how this whole light bulb assembly works.........

Now, it became obvious to me that to make this light bulb operational, I was going to need a fixture of some sort to make this happen. For days, I searched through our surplus parts pile out on the hill to come up with something. And then finally, I found something that might work. It was an old fixture assembly made for another make of light bulb, but I'm sure with a little tinkering, I can make it work.........

To disassemble the assembly, I grabbed the right tool for the right job and started removing the appropriate components........

Then I started the refinishing process. I had to mask off the areas that weren't to be painted and had to be extra careful not to get overspray on any surrounding light bulbs. One thing that was extra frustrating was the fact that the upcoming deadline kept me from masking off every single item, such as the blue label on the fixture. That means I had to paint right over it. Another time issue was the fact that I couldn't use the paint that the factory used when this fixture was built. So I just opted for the high speed, low drag, spray paint to get this project done. I hate deadlines.........

While the paint was curing, I needed to focus on the remainder of the fixture. Now, I realize that the "originality buffs" will notice right away that the little rubber ends on the clamp assembly are not original to an "A" model light bulb fixture. I wanted to take those off of there, but the elected staff had a vote and decided to keep them in place because it makes the fixture more "sellable" to the general public. And unfortunately, we are unable to make everything completely original due to the fact that we have to have the general public's support to keep operating these light bulbs for years to come.........

The next step was to reattach the clamp assembly to the fixture. This was done just the opposite of removal and the proper tools were used again in this process........

And finally it was time to install the light bulb. So.....just how many CAFers does it take to screw in a light bulb?????

Two mechanics and a hangar cat..........

And once all of this work has been done, it's great to see the finished product in operation. This candid picture of the light bulb in operation was taken just as I had an idea, and as you can see, it worked flawlessly!............

:lol:

Okay, okay, so maybe I do have too much time on my hands. I really do need to get back to work on that B-24 out there in the hangar, but I just couldn't help but poke a little fun at myself and my rambling updates.

Gary

Last edited by retroaviation on Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:49 am 
Queen Of The World

I just about fell off my chair laughing, that's so funny! Nicely done Mr. Austin! That's the best thing I've seen on WIX in quite some time! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:52 am 
Queen Of The World

P.S. Still laughing! The "idea" picture at the end didn't load up for the the first time through, that makes it just that much better. Love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are not right Gary. You would fit in with my group of friends just fine. :lol:

Post subject: How many
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:25 am 
Probationary Member

How many to change a light bulb? Where I live we have some beautiful old Victorian homes as wel as an opera house and histroic hotel built during the mining heyday when peole cared about what they built. We have many preservaton minded folks and it is always a struggle between greed and history. To change a light bulb here you need 1 to hold the ladder, 1 to unscrew the bulb, and the other 5 to talk about about how great the old bulb was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is great Bill. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:31 am 

Gary "Redi-watt" Austin.

I dun think yer pancake finally flipped itself Gary!

John

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:51 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

OK, so we've been out smart *ssed by the master!
But, where's the rattlesnake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:15 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

"How to "un-fix" a light bulb using J-B weld".

First you take the light bulb that needs un--fixing.........

Unlike Gary, I had no help! :?

Then you get yourself the appropriate tools for the job....

Some strength is required to un-fix the light bulb. Hammer required.

Then gently apply J-B weld to the surrounding "un-fixed" light bulb. Use as much as you want.

And you have yourself one original "un-fixed" light bulb.

Now, to see if it works....................................

Sorry, due to technical errors Nathan can no longer continue this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next