Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: P-61 survivors
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:14 pm 

How many survive and where?

Most people say 4, but I've heard/read this.

1 at the NMUSAF
1 at the NASM
1 at the MAAM
1 in Beijing--to go to or already in FHC
2 in UK

Can someone say a little more on the UK ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:28 pm 

The two in the UK...if they exist at all...are dug-up parts from wrecks.
I'm not even sure about the NASM ship...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:56 pm 

Isn't there an RF-61c Reporter Variant crashed somewhere up in Greenland. Wixers? Thanks, Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The NASM's website says they have P-61 43-8330 in their collection.It is not slated to be one of the aircraft to go on display in their new building so your guess is as good as mine as to what will happen to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:30 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The NASM does have a complete P-61C in their collection. She is quite the time capsule but will still need lots of restoration work somewhere in the future. She is tucked away in the back corner at Silver Hill in the same hanger with the Do335 and Sageburner the F-4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:35 pm 

Hi All,

I understand that they have made very good and substantial progree with the P-61 that is with the MAAM in Reading, Pa. I personally cannot wait to see this thing airborne. As far as the Black Widow in China, I heard that it was for sale, but also, I had spoken with a guy who had actually seen it, and it is deteriorating into such a corrosion trap, with, from what I am told, actual holes being corroded in the top of the wing panels. So if anyone would be in a position to purchase it, they would have a rather daunting task to restore it to at the least a static display and an even more daunting task to make it airworthy again.

I did hear that the Smithsonian had a complete Black Widow, but, like others have said, it is tucked away at Silver Hill. As far as the ones in the UK go, that would be great news if in fact they did exist at all. And the one that is reportedly a wreck site in Greenland, very promising, hope someone else can provide some additional info.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:25 pm 

In 1998, I had a last minute opportunity to tour the NASM Garber facility. The P61, was in one of the hangars we were allowed to enter, it was tucked into a corner. All the hangars we were allowed to enter were full of interesting aircraft and artifacts, a virtual treasure chest of warbirds. I did not know what would be in the next hangar, so I was being very conservative with the film and the P61 hangar was very dark but I still managed to capture one picture of the Black Widow. Before the tour was over my film supply was exhausted. I wished I had my D70 back then, could have provided a complete walkaround. If I remember correctly, we were allowed in 10 of the 30+ hangars. I left thinking to myself what's in the other hangars and to carry more film.

Warren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:51 pm 

A couple of ghost widows seem to be unaccounted for on the west coast. One was seen parked for years in Northern California, I think, then simply seemed to disappear. I don't think its disposition has ever been solved. Then there is the one that could be in a remote structure near Blythe. Apparently, some major parts of this widow were found in an abandoned barracks in the desert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

1 in a museum in china, average condition. 1 unrecovered crash at mt cyclops is it?? in new guinea??? & an additional crash somewhere else in a remote province of china. regards, tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wasn't the one in China bought by Paul Allen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

kalamazookid wrote:
Wasn't the one in China bought by Paul Allen?

Rumoured to be, but still in China as of a month ago.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hope he hits the big fortune cookie to afford that recovery!!! he'll need scissors the size of china to cut all that red tape & especially with 1 of the last commie countries on the planet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:18 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

george wrote:
Then there is the one that could be in a remote structure near Blythe. Apparently, some major parts of this widow were found in an abandoned barracks in the desert.
The Bob Bean P-61 was scrapped due to corrosion. Charles Nichols from the Yanks Museum has some components from this airframe (control surfaces) that he picked up when he bought the Corsair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:20 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

tom d. friedman wrote:
...& an additional crash somewhere else in a remote province of china. regards, tom
Do tell! I'd like to hear more about this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:40 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

tom d. friedman wrote:
hope he hits the big fortune cookie to afford that recovery!!! he'll need scissors the size of china to cut all that red tape & especially with 1 of the last commie countries on the planet.

Hopefully it won't lead to a fiasco like the recovery of the Finnish Brewster Buffalo did.