Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

WIX Exclusive! Beijing P-61 True Identity

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:31 pm

Here it is... No B.S., no supposition, no guesses- right off of the data plate.

After discussion with Russ Strine at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum, there is likely no question that this is United States Air Force s/n 42-39715, a P-61B-15 NO built in the latter half of 1944.

Anyone know the history of this aircraft prior to it being impounded by the Communist Chinese?
Last edited by bdk on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:44 pm

I hope someone saves it. It would be a great display or even flyer if that can still be done.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:03 pm

mustangdriver wrote:I hope someone saves it.

Er, someone already did. The Chinese. I think we've been here before.

Thanks for that, Brandon. Excellent detective work. I'm sure the NMUSAF will have the record card.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:05 pm

Yes, judging by the pics it is in great shape. :roll:

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:14 pm

Mike wrote:Thanks for that, Brandon. Excellent detective work. I'm sure the NMUSAF will have the record card.
Yes, I'm very curious about that final entry! :wink:

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:17 pm

Reminds me a lot of this story and how someone saved a brand new 1957 Plymouth Belvedere.

http://www.kfor.com/global/story.asp?s=6659720

Apparently there is saving and then there is saving!

wow..

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:20 pm

Great shot and detective work!
Those high pass imaging filters can sharpen up just about anything.. :-)..

So where exactly does this dataplate live on the p-61? Front
wheel well / entrance somewhere?

anyone have any ideas?

I sense there's a story in how you got the picture.. :-)...

Thanks for posting this, I had always wondered the identity of the plane.

henning

Re: wow..

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:14 am

henning wrote:I sense there's a story in how you got the picture...
I dare not reveal my sources! :roll:

Re: WIX Exclusive! Beijing P-61 True Identity

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:32 am

bdk wrote:Here it is... No B.S., no supposition, no guesses- right off of the data plate.

After discussion with Russ Strine at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum, there is likely no question that this is United States Air Force s/n 42-39715, a P-61B-15 NO built in the latter half of 1944.

Anyone know the history of this aircraft prior to it being impounded by the Communist Chinese?

Very good Mr. Phelps! Saw your Hi-Rez on the other thread! Your next mission
if you choose to accept it....
TOP SECRET...NO FORN...EYES ONLY....Monino B-25C(?) dataplate ID....
www.airliners.net/open.file/0287254/L/

...Your reward...A standing bounty of 3yrs, of a case of Russian Vodka at current
Moscow prices, and a hearty W.C. Fields handshake :shock:

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:46 am

Have a volunteer who works at Monino who will check for a data plate, don't expect any quick answer though!

Dave

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:21 am

Well Done BDK!! 8)

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:32 am

Any shots of the car after it was exhumed? :lol:

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:13 am

Good work Brandon! That ID has been a long-time mystery.

Mike

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:23 am

Hey Rob,

On the '57 Belvedere (even though it is off topic a bit), the car is being brought out of the vault today at noon, and will be unveiled between 5 and 7 PM at the Tulsa Convention Center. There are a bunch of pictures and some video of the practice lift they did yesterday on Channel 6's website at http://kotv.com/news/topstory/?id=129540

It appears that some water did get into the vault over the last 50 years, but they're still hopeful that the water-proof wraps that they covered the care with will have held. Boyd Coddington and his crew will be there when they lift the car, and he and his team will spend the next few hours trying to see if it will be possible to start the car at the unveiling.

Can you imagine if someone had decided to do this with a warbird???

kevin

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:16 pm

quote "Also buried with it were 10 gallons of gasoline — in case internal combustion engines became obsolete by 2007 — a case of beer, and the contents of a typical woman's handbag placed in the glove compartment: 14 bobby pins, a bottle of tranquilizers, a lipstick, a pack of gum, tissues, a pack of cigarettes, matches and $2.43."

1. $2.43 doesn't even but a gallon of gas anymore!

2. Contents of a typical woman's handbag - a bottle of tranquilizers! :lol:

I'm not gonna touch that one!
Post a reply