Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:32 pm 

Great pix & thanx for posting them!

I'd hoped for more shots of the Grumman employees who made it all happen. My father worked at Grumman prior to Pearl Harbor installing radio equipment in fighters.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:03 am 

Fantastic photos, it certainly gives a taste of the history involved in producing the aircraft. I visit the site often.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:01 am 

I am new to WIX. Thank you for posting these photographs. Three generations of my family worked at Grumman. My Great Grandfather Rufus Pursel (employee #25), my Grandfather Amos Purcell (1940-1974) Bethpage and Calverton Flight Test, and my father Dick Purcell (for short time then U.S. Air Force) Also had Uncle and Aunt who worked at Bethpage (Bobby and Gloria Geist). I really appreciate the photograph collection. Hope to see more in the future. Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:29 pm 

Half a million hits, Great!

Thanks Scott for letting me post here...............

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:54 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Hello all,

We all are aware of the Photobucket disaster. Not much to be done about that. However, I am in the process of restoring this amazing thread, but it will take time. I have restored page 53 (300 images) as the first stage of this restoration. The image will be hosted on the Warbirds Resource Group servers so they will be there for the lifetime of the site an will not disappear again.

Please have patience as this is horribly time consuming and will take awhile to complete.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 pm 

BRAVO Scott !
I know I appreciate your efforts, Thanks.
I have a similar problem, I had 24 pages worth of images (over 800) wiped out on the SEAWINGS Flying Boat forum and have to redo all of those after I find a new hosting site.
Keep fighting the good fight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:56 pm 

Scott, Is there anything I can do to help? I have all of these photographs backed up here. "Anything" I can do let me know. AJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:16 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Whew, that was a learning experience. Photobucket can #@$%#$ all the way off. I have gone thru 57 pages of posts and restored around 80% of the images. Those that are not replace will show up with the word "image". AJ is sending me the original files and I will plug the missing images in when that happens.

With that said... OMG this is an amazing and important thread. I had forgotten how wonderful this thread was and the process of checking every single picture has left me in awe. First off I want to thank Leo Polaski, without his efforts this would not have been a possibility. Second, I want to thank ArmyJunk for spending and immense amount of time and resources to bring these images to us.

This thread is an amazing resource and now that the images are on the WIX servers, it will forever have a home here.

Thank you to everyone who commented and appreciated this thread.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:05 pm 

That take-off should have been aborted a looooong way before they finally made it off the ground.

Not quite so sure about an air pocket either, looking at the pitch angle at times it looked more likely a stall.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:10 pm 

The Dzus Fastener factory no longer exists. Heavy equipment started knocking the buildings down last week. I've passed this place several time a week my entire life. At least my kids can point out a Dzus Fastener on a P-51 :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:17 am 

Since nobody else seems to be ready to mention it,I will.In photo 2458 of the wooden mock up,it appears that Grumman was still thinking about using a single massive vertical stabilizer and rudder.I think that I remember seeing an early conceptual drawing of the F-14 in that form somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:32 am 

I've been revisiting armyjunk2's fabulous thread recently (sparked off by buying the Air-Britain Grumman Amphibian book) and there 's plenty on the Goose and Widgeon in the photostream but the photo that really caught my eye was not of an aircraft but of a woman welder (in 1979?)...what a stunning photo!! Wonder who she was? http://warbirdsresourcegroup.org/pix_fo ... er1979.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
civvystreet

Cannot tell you who she is....but can tell what she is!!!

Gorgeous!!!!

Nice pic!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 am 

I really appreciate Scott letting me post here. The original photos have titles like this dade 010 four Cessna ac on pallet not a lot of info.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:40 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

For anyone who's interested, I believe all of the pictures in this thread, and possibly a good deal more, are now available on the Cradle of Aviation Museum's page on New York Heritage Digital Collections.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57