Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:21 pm 

double post

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:23 pm 

Thank you very much for the response. Apparently this method of linking your newsgroup postings to images on Photobucket limits one to a very short file name, which is strange because Windows and MacOS allow 255 character file names. In Flickr you could type any amount of info about each picture, and users can compose their own descriptive file names when saving. Photos can also be organized by sets, etc. And you are correct, the current method does not allow Mac users to recognize even the short descriptive file names (they just come up as "fk00.."). No worries, I have figured out your system of naming and have used it to compose English file names for the ones I've saved.

In any case, thanks again for the remarkable repository of aviation imagery you have made available to the public, and although the delivery method is less than ideal at least the pictures can be seen once the huge pages load, and having invested all that work into posting them you'd have to basically start over if you wanted to display them in a better forum such as Flickr or a custom web site. So I'm just glad I stumbled upon it. I am particularly impressed by all the high quality detailed interior and cockpit shots of some of the 1930s and '40s Grumman aircraft. I have been mining WWII aircraft images off the web for years and have never seen some of these before.

Keep up the good work, it is much appreciated.

Shaun

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:05 am 

Glad you like these.
Actually with over a quarter million hits this has been a great place to post them. I really appreciate Scott letting me post here. The original photos have titles like this "dade 010 four Cessna ac on pallet" not a lot of info. Due to the huge amount of photos, I don't believe any site that host photos will do this many (around 3600 photos@ 25GB's) for free, that's why I chose Photobucket. The Photobucket fee is reasonable and paid up for the next year and a half. I believe Flicker has a 200 pic limit, but I don't know that for sure.
If for some reason you need a larger pic, just shoot me a email, the originals are 4.25MB and make great 8x10 photos. Some of the new Squadron Books will have these pics in them. F4F, F7F and TBF books I believe..

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:21 am 

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. I'm moving my business to a new space soon and would love some good airplane pictures. I have an FTP server so sending the large files would be easy.

Great to hear that Squadron is using some of these pictures. I have all the WWII allied Aircraft in Action books but from time to time they re-release updated versions of them.

Flickr has a "pro" level account for $25 a year that allows thousands of images. I keep a close eye on several guys who put up great stuff. In particular Bill Larkins, well known West Coast aviation photographer, who is quite elderly but has put much of his amazing collection of original photos dating back to the '30s on Flickr.

I also have a small free Flickr account that contains some pictures I've taken flying over the years, but I have long term plans to "give something back" to the Internet by scanning some of the many awesome old WWII vintage books I have, in which case I'll create a new pro account.

smm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:32 am 

I am completely overwhelmed. Imagine finding this site, then this thread and trying to absorb just a fraction. Really don't know what to say other than thanks. Have a great Christmas and a 2012.

Last edited by bgp429 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:29 pm 

Thank you and a Merry Christmas to you also

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:20 pm 

aj2, I have to agree, this has been a fabulous series of photos.
I know Leo would have been proud (and probably surprised) of the response resulting from your posting them.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:14 am 

Thanks for the post,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:55 am 

I miss this thread. Anything new AJ ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:12 am 

awesome pictures,thanks alot :drink3:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:02 am 

armyjunk2 wrote:
Most of these pictures are from Long Island when I start the Republic pictures I might rename the thread "Long Island Aviation". I have Islip, Roosevelt, Nassau Blvd and Mitchel Field pictures so I guess a new title will be appropriate

Roosevelt Field
Before

After

armyjunk2,
This tread is just fantastic! keep'um coming.
Your archive must take up half your house. After you do the Republic shots any chance for a Sikorsky?
I didnt get any hits on a request for JRS pictures, I realize its rare but WIX members have always come up with the rare stuff!

Marauderman26

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:53 pm 

Sorry to say but this was about the last of them, a total of 4865 photos with 6,560,511 views, not bad I'd say, My buddy Leo would like this......this includes these

Wright- Paterson http://www.cdsg.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=381

Udar-Hazy Center, Air and Space Museum http://www.cdsg.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=320

Pensacola Naval Air Museum http://www.cdsg.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=337

Thanks everyone for looking and thanks Scott for letting me post here....and the folks that helped pay for the account..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:13 pm 

FHC's F6F is back in the hanger with the rebuilt R2800 and is really looking good, it has to be reassembled and will be on next summers flyday schedule. It is in a public viewing area, so you can watch the progress.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:35 pm 

This has been a great thread. There are photos I had not seen before as well as some old favorites.

Thank you!

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:36 pm 

I love this whole thread very much. I look forward to the "Long Island Aviation" thread. Very grateful for your time.

~J~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next