Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Part number and info

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:28 pm

Greetings all,
I am in a dilemma, I need a part number and as much info to put on a small crate for my ground crew display. The part is to be a cylinder for a B-17G motor. That's it, Thanks!!

Scott

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:03 pm

Not sure what the part number is for the cylinder barrel, but the engines found on some later Model B-17F with serial numbers 41-14504 and newer and most, if not all, Model B-17G airplanes are the Wright R-1820-97 engines. The cylinder barrel has a bore of 6.125 inches and stroke of 6.875 inches if this helps.

Jim

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:27 am

Thanks, that does help but I also need to find the military part number for it. I am trying to locate a IPB (illustrated parts breakdown) I know that would have the additional info I need. Thanks again!

Scott

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:14 pm

Scott, how about a “vintage” Serviceable tag? I probably have something on the shelf that I can scan and post from the late 40s to 50s. I could send you a high-res scan, and then you or someone else who is a computer expert could photoshop it and print it out on photo paper.

I’m traveling right now, but when I get back later in the week I’ll take a look and see what I have.

Re: Part number and info

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:34 pm

cco23i wrote:Greetings all,
I am in a dilemma, I need a part number and as much info to put on a small crate for my ground crew display. The part is to be a cylinder for a B-17G motor. That's it, Thanks!!

Scott

Wright 1820-97 Cylinder Assembly P/N 890118...actually, Studebaker built many 1820-97's for the B-17G (under license), but the P/N is still the same.

-Pat

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:42 pm

Fellows,
Thanks for theinfo and yes Eric I'd like to have a scan of the tag. You all gave me the info I need. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Scott

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:50 pm

Thanks Pat for that part number,

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the R-1820-97 parts manual at home, but we do have a copy of it in our Restoration shop. Our B-17F Memphis Belle also has these R-1820-97 Cyclone engines and they too were all built by Studebaker under license. The B-17G was not the only Fortress to be equipped with these engines.

Jim

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:53 pm

Warbird Mechanic wrote:Thanks Pat for that part number,

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the R-1820-97 parts manual at home, but we do have a copy of it in our Restoration shop. Our B-17F Memphis Belle also has these R-1820-97 Cyclone engines and they too were all built by Studebaker under license. The B-17G was not the only Fortress to be equipped with these engines.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I stand corrected!

-Pat

Fri May 04, 2007 6:58 pm

Here’s a Serviceable tag for an engine fairlead for a T-6. I just took the fairlead out of the envelope and stuck it in the scanner:

Here’s a crate. I have a fresh OH W670 cylinder in it now, but I’m not really sure what was in it originally:

Here’s the MATS shipping label from the early 50s. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture.

Fri May 04, 2007 9:35 pm

Which T-6 fairlead is that?

Sat May 05, 2007 10:25 pm

bdk wrote:Which T-6 fairlead is that?

The one on the firewall - untouched by human hands:

Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Whoa! That's cool. I bought a repro from Banaire. Is the backing sheet metal?

Mon May 07, 2007 9:11 am

The side in the view above is stainless, opposite is aluminum with chromate. The boots (actually one piece) are fresh as new.

This thing does absolutely no good to me sitting on the shelf, but if it could find a home to a guy with ILS access who doesn’t mind the odd query now and then, it’s outta here..
Post a reply