Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:20 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Good one Jack! :D

You catch 'em and clean 'em, and I'll dip 'em in the chocolate. :lol:

Gary

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:28 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Yes Gary that would be nice.
I can picture it now. H*ll we could sell tickets :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:36 am 

Gary,

Congratulations on getting those PBY wings and sponsons on the move. And I gotta tell you, from looking at the photo's, whomever gets the honor of working to re-assemble the PBY, they have their work cut out for them. Looks like a TON of corrosion both on the wing attach angles and adjacent skin. But, as I have said in a previous post and many other times, as a former tin bender myself it has always been my opinion that with the right amount of time and effort. There is NO airframe that cannot be made to be airworthy again.

Finally, it's not often you get to see a "scrapped" out DC-3 nose section, but you Sir, after all of the excellent work you have done on Lil and FiFi, to get you own little "private collection" going. It's nice to see folks with the passion and drive to "Save our History". Well DONE Sir....!! Absolutely WELL DONE !

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:30 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

So, do any of y'all out there have any ideas as to what the history might be to this C-47? It is N89HA, s/n 19603.

I appreciate any help y'all can give me here.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:26 pm 

[quote="retroaviation] I dream of one day being able to just disappear in New Zealand somewhere, aaallll by myself, and do nothing but relax.
[/quote]

from all the posts you have made here why do i visualise your relaxation as pretty much what you are doing now but without a deadline?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:01 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

henry wrote:
from all the posts you have made here why do i visualise your relaxation as pretty much what you are doing now but without a deadline?

Good point henry. :)

But it's the deadlines that are the major form of stress for me. :?

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:36 am 
No Longer Active - per request

Thanks Gary for posting the pics...this has been one of the better threads I've read in awhile! I had to laugh when you described your dealings with the scumbag scrap dealer :lol: . I hate to say it but those guys are a dime a dozen and couldn't give a rat's ass about saving rare aircraft parts. The only thing these guys know is $$$ and lots of it. At least you were able to rescue the nose section from that sh*t-hole so that it can some day be restored and viewed by others.

Keep up the great work and please do try and get some rest (I know...I'm probably starting to sound like your mother :roll: )

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:23 am 

It's really an incredible trip. Thanks a lot to had take the time to tell us all the story, with your great sens of humour. :D

Juste a little suggestion of use for the nose section: with it you can build a very cool C-47 simulator. (A lot of guys had built realistic simulator using real part or cockpit section, and the Microsotf Flight Simulator. There are some kits available to easily connect real stuff to computer software)
I suppose that could be the easy way to "bring to the air" this cockpit section :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:49 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for sharing your adventures! I really enjoyed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:47 pm 

Rest and relaxation....Gary, you zigged when you should have zagged. Renting a horse on Padre Island would have been cheaper and more realxing than fighting with an ignorant scrap dealer and in the process creating more work for yourself! In Retro-aviation-spect I guess it was bound to happen. It's in the blood!

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the warbird movement Gary,

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

retroaviation wrote:
So, do any of y'all out there have any ideas as to what the history might be to this C-47? It is N89HA, s/n 19603.

I appreciate any help y'all can give me here.

Gary

FROM; www.dc3history.org

19603 43-15137 D08Feb44 - 8tb AF 26Mar44 - USA 02Sep45 - RFC18Nov45 - NC36699 Browning Avn Inc. Hampden, MS 29Jan46 -Consolidated Air Transit Inc, E Orange, NJ 23Dec47 - Air PartsInc, NY 9Nov48-Regina CargoA/L Inc, NY 14Apr49 -A J Williams,Aiiami, FL. 130ct50, t/a British Guiana AW Ltd - NIP-GAG R27Dec50- Guvana A/W Corp 1963 - Rr 8R-GAG 1967 - East West HelicoptersInc, Harris(in, OH, 22Feb79 Air Svce Center Inc, Hamilton. OHR22Feb79 N9060Y R01Mar79 - Hoganair Inc, Hamilton,OH R15Jun79 -N89HA Rr21Jul80.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its amazing what you can find on Google with a little digging. Also Gary, over on the Critter thread, glad to hear your hangar kitty is doing better.
Regards
Robbie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:57 pm 

Hmm...you just happened to buy the forward section of a D-Day and Market-Garden veteran...only two of the biggest airdrops ever.

And ye shall be rewarded for yer hard work.

Joe Strummer, 1999

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:00 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

fotobass wrote:
Hmm...you just happened to buy the forward section of a D-Day and Market-Garden veteran...only two of the biggest airdrops ever.

And ye shall be rewarded for yer hard work.

Well, it's better to be lucky than good. ;-)

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:01 pm 

Gary do you have any identity of the DC3, is it a DC3 or a C47.

Yes I dips my lid to you, another great effort.

I presume that the engines were the first thing to go.

Regards

Col

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:28 pm 
Queen Of The World

Gary,

Your post was an incredible read... really, very inspiring. You deserve a pat on the back and a cold beer! ;) I think what you do for the warbird community, for WIX and for future avaition enthusiasts is really amazing. I am totally impressed! Keep up the good work!

I want to plan a trip to TX where I don't sleep or eat and just come do whatever I can to help you out. ;)

Thanks for a fantastic read.

Steph

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next