Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: AMARC Pic's
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:11 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Found on the Web...

http://digilander.libero.it/atsg2003/AMARC2004.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

all the birds their saw operational service over the years except 2, the yc 14 & yc 15, weren't they experimental prototypes to the current c-17?? the entire premise of moth balling planes is for spare parts, or re-activation in case the sh*t really hits the fan in a national emergency / conflict. i trust those 2 yc's would be parted out to keep the current c-17's flying, as i would think uncle sam down the road wouldn't re-activate two 1 of a kind prototypes, as it's just not practical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:10 pm 

tom d. friedman wrote:
i trust those 2 yc's would be parted out to keep the current c-17's flying,

The YC-'s are nothing like the C-17's in terms of parts, if i remember rightly they are quite alot smaller and the idea of parts commanality wasnt all that big at the time.

I stand to be corrected if anyone has any better information......

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

if that's the case, send em to a museum for all to enjoy rather than letting them sit out in the dust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:06 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I only thought I knew most arplanes...........what the heck is a C-27, where did they serve,and when. Never saw one before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:27 pm 

The YC-'s were were experimental STOL transports and the program was canceled. Some of the concepts were resurrected in the C-17. On another note, there is a photo of an Altus AFB C-141 with it's wings and tail chopped off. I remember working on her back when I was a C-141 and C-5 mechanic at Altus. Of course, back then she was all white over gray and an A-model, then a B-model, then she got the "lizzard" camo-warpaint! Image
A sad sight, indeed! :cry: :drinkers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:56 pm 

The YC 14 is at Pima. I thought the 15 was there also.

http://www.pimaair.org/Acftdatapics/Boeing%20YC-14.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:58 pm 

I think the YC-15 was recalled by its manufacturer for testing.

Updated twice a week!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:39 pm 

They took the YC-15 back from us around 1996-97 something like that. Spent a small fortune making it flyable, and took it to California. They flew it very, very briefly and then grounded it. I was told they found serious problems in the wing not long after getting out there. I've also heard there was an engine failure. Anyway McD-D decided that it was too expensive to fix and the engines were stripped off and the rest is basically abandoned somewhere at Palmdale. The second YC-15 and YC-14 are both at AMARC and have not been released to the heritage program and so can not go to a museum, not that anybody could afford to move them anyway.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:51 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

The YC-14 & 15 are quite a bit smaller than the C-17 and were technology demonstrators. The Boeing YC-14 utilized the Coanda effect to generate additional lift by having the engines blow air over the top of the wings, while the Douglas YC-15 utilized the blown flap concept now used on the C-17. They were not intended to be production aircraft. The YC-15 has nothing in common with the C-17, in fact the wheel pods came from a C-141 I think. One of the YC-15s was refurbished for testing by McDonnell Douglas as part of research for a commercial variant, but that idea was srapped after the merger with Boeing. The YC-15 flap system is a lot more complicated than that of the C-17.

Interestingly, the Russians built a production aircraft that looked very much like the Boeing YC-14.

YC-15 in it's final commercial paint scheme:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:43 am 

Obergrafeter wrote:
I only thought I knew most arplanes...........what the heck is a C-27, where did they serve,and when. Never saw one before.

The C-27 Spartan was a version of the Aeritalia G.222.
Here is a link to everything you wanted to know about the type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-27_Spartan

This is an amazingly agile aircraft especially in it's latest verion, the C-27J:
http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/ ... hter/1003/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:10 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

vernicator wrote:
Obergrafeter wrote:

The C-27 Spartan was a version of the Aeritalia G.222.
Here is a link to everything you wanted to know about the type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-27_Spartan

This is an amazingly agile aircraft especially in it's latest verion, the C-27J:
http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/ ... hter/1003/

Some were based out of Howard AFB Panama. They could get in and out of very short fields so that made them ideal for some of the operations "down south". I flew with them at a tactics school at Ft Huachuca AZ and I'll agree they were verrry agile and could turn on a dime. In debriefing, it was fun watching them give the F-16 aggressor so much difficulty on the gunnery film--slow speed, and tight turn radius down rrreal low in the weeds presented a challenge to the speedy fighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:57 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The C-27 looks like it would make one heck of a firefighter. Did any of them ever get tried out in this application?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:57 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It's kinda sad to see the Wright-Patt Starlifters in the Bone yard. I grew up with these aircraft flying over my house on a daily basis.

This was taken a month before their retirement in April of '06

and of course "The Last Flight" of the C-141 by 0177 "Hanoi Taxi" this past May

......and then the band and crowds slowly faded away living just another museum relic (sigh :( )

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:31 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

There is one Spartan in sad shape at Western Intls. yard. The rest were taken over by the State Dept. contingent down at Patrick AFB, Florida. I guess they are using them in conjunction with their OV-10D spray ops down south.