Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Walter Soplata's B-36

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:48 pm

Anyone got a picture of Soplata's B-36 when it was in one piece and on display at the USAF Museum in Dayton?

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:29 pm

is the Soplata airframe fairly complete or are there many pieces missing from it?

-WC

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:50 pm

I don't think there are any wings, are there?

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:13 pm

I was there once, and at that time , there were wings. They were not attached to the airframe, but were there.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:05 pm

There's a parasite fighter in that shot of the B-36 at Dayton. Does anyone know what became of it? I don't remember seeing it at WPAFB, but they were renovating and it might have been so small I missed it.

Walrus

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:11 pm

Walrus 7 wrote:There's a parasite fighter in that shot of the B-36 at Dayton. Does anyone know what became of it? I don't remember seeing it at WPAFB, but they were renovating and it might have been so small I missed it.

Walrus

The XF-85 is in the Experimental/R&D hangar (at least I'd assume it's the same one). Here's a somewhat crappy picture I took of it in May: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2652 ... /XF-85.jpg

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

as related in previous walt threads the wings are present, but are shot as to condition. the ravages of wacky extremes in ohio weather has more than taken it's toll condition wise over the years, thus the magnesium alloy is heading for dust. 1st of all, the wings are in pieces. i stood at the highest point of 1 wing section, and it was parallel to my adam's apple in my throat, & i'm 5 ft 9 inches tall. 1 cool note..... the nuclear bomb shackles are still present as pointed out by walt when i was their 3 years ago.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:33 pm

Tom, quick question...

The magnesium alloy, does that just represent the skins on the aircraft, or the structural elements of the aircraft as well? Obviously, the "hidden" agenda being the possibility that you could just reskin the wings if needed. Just ignorance on my part.

Thanks!

kevin

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:15 am

no ignorance on your part!!! i'm not sure either, but i'd say magnesium is the majority metal component, as most surviving pieces look rougher than most ww 2 wrecks you'd find in the harshest areas of the the world after 60 plus years since.
Post a reply