Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:57 am 

Looking for some information on this early jet aircraft...specifically data on various BuNos and squadron histories...Thanks!
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:22 pm 

As far as Bureau Numbers and assigned squadrons, I’d visit Joe Baughers site and probably begin around the 122XXX numbers.

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:21 pm 

Thanks. Been there, done that. Unfortunately, there are is a lot of missing information and lack of dispositions for many aircraft...we are looking to fill in those gaps for a handful of aircraft where there is no info available online.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

NASM will do limited individual aircraft research or sell you a full roll of microfilm. I've done this myself but sadly don't have any Banshee rolls.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:43 pm 

quemerford wrote:
NASM will do limited individual aircraft research or sell you a full roll of microfilm. I've done this myself but sadly don't have any Banshee rolls.

Agreed. The one thing the Naval Bureau did perhaps better than the other service at the time was the detail provided on the individual Aircraft History Cards.

Michael, since you already know the BuNo blocks, your best and most complete bet will be ordering the microfilm as quemerford suggests.

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:48 pm 

Thanks - just went through their finding aid and identified the 5 rolls of microfilm I would need. I am sending an email to their general POC as I did not see any information on how to order reproduction microfilm. What's the ballpark time and money for NASM reproduction services?

edit...OOF, seems reproduction services are temporarily unavailable for microfilm. I guess they are temporarily closed and it's affecting all services to some degree.

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:35 pm 

This might help some, though not as detailed as you need: http://www.forgottenjets.warbirdsresour ... g/F2H.html

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:49 pm 

Clifford Bossie wrote:
This might help some, though not as detailed as you need: http://www.forgottenjets.warbirdsresour ... g/F2H.html

Thanks - familiar with that info too.
Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Waiting times can be long at the best of times. I also recall that the Museum at Pensacola will do small searches (maybe 3 aircraft per month): have you tried them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:40 am 

quemerford wrote:
Waiting times can be long at the best of times. I also recall that the Museum at Pensacola will do small searches (maybe 3 aircraft per month): have you tried them?

Yes - I've got requests into them and 3 BuNos submitted to NASM also. Fingers crossed...
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you looked at Steve Ginter's book?
Some of his books, especially types with lower production numbers, have aircraft histories.
The recent book on the Grumman F2F/F3F have them, but I can not address the Banshee book.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:58 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Even the FJ-1 book (33 aircraft) doesn't give the level of detail you get from the record cards. I suspect the F2H books wouldn't even extend to the potted histories in the books which do contain them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:21 pm 

Steve Ginter's NAVAL FIGHTERS # 2 the Banshee has many pages of photos & drawings of the -2 Banshee and each has captions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:13 pm 

Thanks, I have Steve Ginter's book. It has some great illustrations and images. Unfortunately, it didn't have the info I needed, so we are having to wade through a lot of aircraft history cards instead.