Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue May 17, 2022 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:37 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 7038
This aircraft served as General Jimmy Doolittle's personal aircraft! Caption: "P-38J-10-LO Lightning (serial number 42-67402). Photo taken while assigned to the 8th Air Force as a personal aircraft for Gen Jimmy Doolittle. Very first P-38J-10-LO model built by Lockheed. Aircraft damaged in a ground accident (hit by taxiing P-38 while parked) 17 Dec 44 at Warton, England. Repaired and subsequently transferred to the 430th Fighter Squadron, 474th Fighter Group as K6-F. Aircraft damaged in a landing accident at airfield R-2, Bad Langensalza, Germany on 4 June 1945."
https://www.americanairmuseum.com/media ... pSrJZImiXc

Image

_________________
There’s a difference between an opinion and questioning reality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 190
And when he didn't want the complication of two engines he had this one.
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 252
He used more than one P-38.
LGEN James H. Doolittle in the cockpit of P-38H 42-66972 somewhere in England after returning from the Mediterranean to take command of the 8th AF.
Image

_________________
When I was young "sex was safe & flying was dangerous".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:46 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Texas
It looks like the shell ejection holes are taped over for some reason.Was that common for a P-38?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:49 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:48 pm
Posts: 1007
Location: West Valley, Silicon Valley
lucky52 wrote:
It looks like the shell ejection holes are taped over for some reason.Was that common for a P-38?

Gun barrels are, also.

pop2

_________________
remember the Oogahonk!
old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:48 am 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:26 pm
Posts: 1896
Location: Creemore Ontario Canada
P-38's were known to have poor cockpit heating, especially for the pilots feet. Perhaps, this being a transit flight, eliminating sources of draft might make sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 am 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:43 pm
Posts: 1133
Location: Marietta, GA
DH82EH wrote:
P-38's were known to have poor cockpit heating, especially for the pilots feet. Perhaps, this being a transit flight, eliminating sources of draft might make sense.


I think the caption is poorly written. Maybe by accident, maybe to cause readers to think he flew the P-38 from Italy to England. Without knowledge of the facts, I seriously doubt that's what happened. You don't risk a General and all he knows by having him conduct a lengthy flight over occupied territory on a repositioning flight.

My guess is this photo was indeed taken after he flew back from the Med. Probably days or weeks after.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:58 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 7038
That OD P-38 was most likely ‘a’ P-38 he flew but the NMF P-38 was ‘the’ P-38 dedicated for him to fly to base inspections in England I would think.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:20 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Lincoln, California
I should at least mention that the fuselage insignia on the NMF P-38 is unusually incorrect with the white star extending to the edge of the blue disk. Jimmy, what were you thinking?

_________________
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com
WIX Subscriber Since July 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:47 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 7038
I noticed that as well. I have seem many examples of unusually large, small and irregular configurations. More than one would think.

_________________
There’s a difference between an opinion and questioning reality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 190
From Ivie's "Patton's Eyes in the Sky"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:46 pm
Posts: 469
Kyleb wrote:
DH82EH wrote:
P-38's were known to have poor cockpit heating, especially for the pilots feet. Perhaps, this being a transit flight, eliminating sources of draft might make sense.


I think the caption is poorly written. Maybe by accident, maybe to cause readers to think he flew the P-38 from Italy to England. Without knowledge of the facts, I seriously doubt that's what happened. You don't risk a General and all he knows by having him conduct a lengthy flight over occupied territory on a repositioning flight.

My guess is this photo was indeed taken after he flew back from the Med. Probably days or weeks after.


Per his bio, Doolittle frequently flew, sometimes on combat missions, while in command in the ETO.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:46 pm
Posts: 469
aerovin wrote:
I should at least mention that the fuselage insignia on the NMF P-38 is unusually incorrect with the white star extending to the edge of the blue disk. Jimmy, what were you thinking?


Given the amount of insignia changes in '43, is it possible this P-38 started life with the blue roundel and white star insignia that was used through June of '43, and the updated bars were added later, incorrectly? I've seen some posts complaining about inaccurate insignias on restorations, but it seems that innaccuracies can actually be historically accurate...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:54 am 
Offline
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:10 pm
Posts: 3118
Location: New York
The odd thing is that even the star doesn't look geometrically correct, setting aside the mis-proportioned bars.

Also the serial on the tail doesn't look like the standard font.

Could this bird have been delivered in OD/NG and stripped in the field, then the markings reapplied? That type of thing accounts for 99% of the times when you see non-standard markings on wartime aircraft. This one is so far off that I would doubt that even an MU would have done it.

August


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:29 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:11 pm
Posts: 1801
Location: Pacific Northwest USA, via North Florida
Mark Allen M wrote:
Aircraft damaged in a landing accident at airfield R-2, Bad Langensalza, Germany on 4 June 1945.
Can you imagine being responsible for hitting Jimmy Doolittle's personal aircraft???

_________________
Life member, 91st BG Memorial Association
1944 Willys MB #366014
REMF


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: David Johnson, Kegger, OD/NG and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group