Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:37 pm 

Well, whether his interest (or anyone's) is intense or casual, it is, after all, his money. How someone else wants it spent has no meaning. Actually, that is one of the problems in this world at the moment, people wanting to tell others how they should spend their "excess". None of our business and I am just grateful that, for a while at least, he chose to spend it on something I appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:22 pm 

Quote:
The only writing on the wall is that you don't have the faintest clue as to what you're talking about. I can forgive ignorance to a degree, sometimes we don't all see the same information and get the same memos, but you're going over the top with your assumptions. Rod Lewis has his hands full with other "issues" at the moment, I'm not going to spread details about the mans personal life, but its enough to affect his current activities.

Far from ignorance, tell me anything that was in your eyes "ignorant" other than me, a huge fan, saying that Rod has more than enough money to race and it comes down to passion for the sport to make his decision. Is that ignorant? Don't think so. If you know more about Rod's "personal life" than the divorce and this and that then I'll take your word for it. Seems like he's putting plenty of money into the A-20 and Connie though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

GRNDP51 wrote:
Quote:
The only writing on the wall is that you don't have the faintest clue as to what you're talking about. I can forgive ignorance to a degree, sometimes we don't all see the same information and get the same memos, but you're going over the top with your assumptions. Rod Lewis has his hands full with other "issues" at the moment, I'm not going to spread details about the mans personal life, but its enough to affect his current activities.

Far from ignorance, tell me anything that was in your eyes "ignorant" other than me, a huge fan, saying that Rod has more than enough money to race and it comes down to passion for the sport to make his decision. Is that ignorant? Don't think so. If you know more about Rod's "personal life" than the divorce and this and that then I'll take your word for it. Seems like he's putting plenty of money into the A-20 and Connie though.

We all have priorities. Even folks who are (by my standards) extremely wealthy. Someone like Mr. Lewis has the financial wherewithal to do a lot of the things he wants, but not everything. Time and personal circumstances are factors too...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:58 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
Quote:

I think it's ignorant to brush aside such issues. I think it's ignorant to make assumptions about another mans situation without knowing all the facts.

Divorce proceedings are enough to make any one be cautious with the purse strings. That said, none of us know the full extent of the mans situation. A lot of "rich" people may have a lot of money, but how much of those assets are liquid? The energy sector has slowed considerably since the fracking boom, how has this affected his holdings and money flow? We don't know. The Connie & A-20 both are longer term commitments, I'd probably be more likely to put my money into those projects temporarily if my cash flow was tight. But the race programs? Those can be revived a bit easier, and quicker.

Then again, Maybe he has lost interest in racing? But who can honestly blame him? The Unlimited field is shrinking more and more every year, what's the point in showing up to race when there might only be one or two other serious competitors? Unlimited Air racing is a lot of money, and a lot of headache, pure and simple. I can't say I'd blame him for parking the program.

The know how and parts to keep Rare Bare competitive is diminishing slowly but surely as well. But like I said, we don't know all the facts, and we won't until Rod Lewis or one of his proxies tells the world otherwise. I think making assumptions like "oh he just doesn't want to cuz reasons!" is ignorant, and maybe even a bit dangerous.

This reminds me of the crybabies who go on and on about how a man restores his plane, and what color he paints it. Guess what? It's his darn plane, it's his darn money, and its his choice whether he paints it pink with black polka dots, or races the darn thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:13 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Could be a case of, "Been there, done that!"? If I recall correctly, he got into Warbirds because of an epiphany after a cancer scare years back? He's sure made up for lost time in many ways since then! Now he can pose the, "How do you make a small fortune in air racing?" joke with an air of authority. :wink:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 am 

It’s important to realize that it takes a lot more than money. No lotto winner is showing up at Reno to race a plane because, they would probably become a greasy spot.

Now I have only said hello and thank you to Mr Lewis briefly once, but here is what I know.

It takes rare skill and a devotion to piloting a high performance ex-military aircraft at the highest level. Rod Lewis is perhaps the most successful businessman that has ever raced at Reno, and most importantly he has survived in a place where many excellent pilots have failed to. Lewis Energy Group profits allow Mr Lewis to donates money on a large scale to needy people, and do a lot of good, so much so he is recognized for it. Further, his company supports a huge amount of working people, breadwinners for their families that have made a career and a company. He has responsibilities most people forget when they just look at numbers and dream of what those numbers would mean in a life like theirs. His life matters to thousands who depend on his decisions for their livelihood, so when you are bored try and figure out how to insure yourself with that going on... Mr Lewis has one of the best collections ever gathered by one man, and show a love for flying and aircraft that is deep and choices that are well planned and thoughtfully chosen. His aircraft are beautifully marked and maintained at the highest level. He owns several of the most desirable planes of their kind.

In the interests of everyone on the forum, l think it is best to dream and post about what you would want to do with your money if you had it, and let people talk about that if they want to.

The warbird collectors of this world have done a lot of good for the world we live in, as well as the hobby. If you have a bone to pick or advice to give a participant in this warbird arena, pick up the phone and call him. If you don’t have his number, well, maybe you have some work to do professionally to get to that level of familiarity. When you do get there, be polite. And if you can’t say anything good....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 am 

Thanks Joe. :supz:

It's very cool to dream "what ifs", just not with other peoples money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Rod Lewis Divorce was finalized. Him not racing isn't related at this point. I think he just burnt out on it. Why spend money when you cannot win? The Bear is never going to beat Strega or Voodoo and neither is Sept Fury- unless one of the Super Stangs is not racing or has an engine failure. I've heard Stu doesn't want to anymore either. It's done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm 

There are other pilots out there that could handle the Bear. They had it very close to being a winner at their last outing, just a bit more supercharger work.
232 may not be a winner anymore but could place very highly. The Super Stangs are not unbeatable, it just takes a program that dials the Bear into her true ability. She's been there before.
I am sure that after years and years of trying it is easy to get discouraged and throw in the towel. Maybe not forever, however. How many times have Button and Tiger called it quits?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:35 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

With sufficient development any of the named planes can win.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Latest Air Classics just got here and Rod Lewis is talking about waking the Bear Up To defend the Speed Record. No word on Reno. Tiger says if no sponsor Strega isn’t racing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:35 am 

Quote:
Rod Lewis is talking about waking the Bear Up

I have been hearing that since September. Once revived, it might be hard to put her away without a few trips around the sticks.
One can hope.
And if he does re-enter the ring, PLEASE bring back the Tigercat!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:00 pm 

I don't care if Rod Lewis has two dimes to rub together or a billion. If he goes for a speed record attempt with the Bear, I would gladly contribute to a fan sponsor program which includes a spectator seat for the record attempts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

http://www2.smartbrief.com/redirect.act ... cSBWcNDbVD

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:13 pm 
KiwiZac

As nice as it is to read the Wildfire update I'm very intrigued by the 2/3 scale Bearcats! Thanks for sharing, Phil.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

Last edited by Zac Yates on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next