Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

SpaceRanger1 wrote:
Ah, but 43-7555 was the USAAF serial number of c/n 5075, which became N50137 post-war, and '37555" is how the radio call would have been placarded. This pretty much confirms the identity of the airplane seen in the photos from the Chicago Vocational School. William Crawford Eddy's grandson will no doubt be thrilled to hear that a part of his grandfather's airplane is being used to restore another.

I'm sure he'd be more than welcome to stop by the Fawn Grove hangar if he was ever so inclined. Very fascinating turn that this thread took.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I believe the stencils on the engine had some other purpose, as Jacobs uses the standard data plate that you see on P&W and Wright engines.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just a bit of trivia: Arguably, the most famous graduate of the Chicago Vocational School was Chicago Bears linebacker Dick Butkus. It was quite a tantalizing thought that Butkus may have worked on these planes. Alas, it was not to be: I did reach out to Butkus through his Facebook page. I was more than a bit amazed that I received a reply. While Butkus was a student at the school while the Bobcats were present, he was not part of the aviation program.

I'm still hoping to see if I can find any alumni who worked on the plane(s).

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:17 pm 

"I did not record engine serial numbers in researching the FAA's records; perhaps I should have"

Yes, please do. I have found no aircraft serial numbers on the Travis AFB museum UC-78, but I have engine serial numbers. The engine serial numbers could be helpful in tracking some of these airframes. Yes, I know they change engines, but that is the only serial numbers I have. Plus I have records from other UC-78s that have engine serial numbers.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:44 am 

ALOHADAVE wrote:
"I did not record engine serial numbers in researching the FAA's records; perhaps I should have"

Yes, please do. I have found no aircraft serial numbers on the Travis AFB museum UC-78, but I have engine serial numbers. The engine serial numbers could be helpful in tracking some of these airframes. Yes, I know they change engines, but that is the only serial numbers I have. Plus I have records from other UC-78s that have engine serial numbers.

The old "N-number cards" kept by the CAA/FAA did record,aircraft engine numbers at the time of initial registration, in some instances, but not all, depending on the diligence of each individual inspector. I did make copies of those cards, and I should have the card for c/n 5075, but right now my files are in a state of chaos and it will take a bit of looking for me to find it.

I did hear back from Bill Eddy, who confirmed, after talking to his father, that cn 5075/N50137 was indeed his grandfather's airplane.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was back up at Fawn Grove today and showed the Chicago Vocational School pics to the crew. They were very impressed. (New pics to post soon)

The nose cap that came with the plane had a hole in the center, just like the one shown on N50137. The crew had suspected that there were pieces from a second Bobcat mixed in with the original. Thanks to some WIX sleuthing, their suspicions have now been confirmed that parts of cn 5075/N50137 were intermingled with cn 5043,.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

And, some pics. Starting to look like a plane again!

The plastic covers are to keep the birds that have taken up residence in the rafters from pooping on it
ImageDSC_0002 by David Cohen, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0004 by David Cohen, on Flickr

From the interior:
ImageDSC_0005 by David Cohen, on Flickr

View to the rear:
ImageDSC_0011 by David Cohen, on Flickr

Bill putting the cover back on top:
ImageDSC_0013 by David Cohen, on Flickr

Overhead of the shop:
ImageDSC_0021 by David Cohen, on Flickr

One of the various nostalgia pieces that are around the hangar:
ImageDSC_0034 by David Cohen, on Flickr

Bob standing by the window frame that he rebuilt from scratch:
ImageDSC_0035 by David Cohen, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:28 pm 

What a small world this is turning out to be. I received an inquiry about a Bamboo Bomber from the son of the instructor who taught aviation powerplant at Chicago Vocational High School using this airframe (43-7523)! He told me his dad donated it to the local Confederate Air Force chapter sometime in the mid 1980s. Furthermore, his dad is still living! I have replied to him with the history of the airplane and a link to this forum and a request for any photos or additional documentation if any still exists.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have been watching this thread with interest ever since it launched. Just want to say THANKS for posting it, and for keeping it updated! Such wonderful fun to see "all the old birds"!

:drink3:

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:55 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

SpaceRanger1 wrote:
What a small world this is turning out to be. I received an inquiry about a Bamboo Bomber from the son of the instructor who taught aviation powerplant at Chicago Vocational High School using this airframe (43-7523)! He told me his dad donated it to the local Confederate Air Force chapter sometime in the mid 1980s. Furthermore, his dad is still living! I have replied to him with the history of the airplane and a link to this forum and a request for any photos or additional documentation if any still exists.

What's the teacher's name? I can add his photo from the yearbook; is that him in the 1987 picture?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 pm 

Chris Brame wrote:
What's the teacher's name? I can add his photo from the yearbook; is that him in the 1987 picture?

Tom Milton was the teacher.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:53 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

SpaceRanger1 wrote:
Chris Brame wrote:

Tom Milton was the teacher.

I guessed right!

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sorry for not updating this thread recently -- most of the pics have gone up on the WIX on Facebook.

That's amazing news about Tom Milton. I'm sure Mr. Milton would be welcome any time at Fawn Grove to see his old airplane, or perhaps when it gets moved out for final assembly and test flight -- hopefully later this year. For those who don't used the FB WIX, I'll post some pictures. Please feel free to PM me so I can pass long my contact information and more info about the plane.

For those who don't perouse the FB WIX, it has been decided that this will be the last plane to be restored at Fawn Grove. Jack has sold the farm and is renting back the hangar from the new owners until the end of March 2017. It is likely the UC-78 will be finished well before then, but it is going to take quite an effort to go through everything that has accumulated over the course of 20 years of aircraft restorations. Much of Jack's equipment and inventory is going to be transferred to Cliff Ellis, who is setting up a similar operation on his farm near Taneytown, MD. It is unclear at this point how many of the crew will continue on with Cliff at the new location.

It is kind of sad, but I believe Jack wanted to set up an orderly succession while he still had the faculties to do so. Jack, as usual, looks at it with his very matter-of-fact philosophy "Life goes on".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:59 pm 

SaxMan wrote:
Sorry for not updating this thread recently -- most of the pics have gone up on the WIX on Facebook.

I vote for posting Bamboo Bomber restoration photos here. I just checked the WIX Facebook page (about which I was NOT aware, but which I have requested to join), and there are so many posts it's hard to find a specific topic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7