Switch to full style
A place to post notifications of aviation related people... pilots, pioneers, etc...
Post a reply

Dick Phillips passed away yesterday

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:52 pm

Long time Mustang historian and photographer Dick Phillips passed away yesterday. Blue Skies
https://www.whitefuneralhomes.com/obitu ... BF9FBE1B3F

Re: Dick Phillips passed away yesterday

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:08 pm

How sad, and a shame he never published his ‘warts and all’ book giving the true histories of surviving P-51s.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:07 pm

So sad to hear of his passing. Such a great guy and his depth of knowledge on the P-51 was amazing. I first met him in 1986 at the Valiant Air Command's show. I was going around filling in the N-Numbers of the aircraft and I was working up the line of Mustangs. He must have seen what I was doing because he came over and said, "Hi I'm Dick Phillips. Would you like me to fill them in for you?" And he proceeded to fill in all the N-Numbers from memory of all the P-51's present and most of the other heavy Iron too! I still have that notebook with his N-Number add ons in it.
We kept in touch as time progressed and I last saw him at the GML in 2007.
We have lost a good man. :(
Jerry

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 pm

Dick would fly with us in our Navion shooting air to air of fighters. Every now and then I would see one
published.

We have indeed lost a good man.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Stephen Rister wrote:Dick would fly with us in our Navion shooting air to air of fighters. Every now and then I would see one
published.

We have indeed lost a good man.

Standing next to Steve at Breckenridge every year, we would look for him. He would break out his library on Mustangs and go over them all.
He was the go to guy for P-51 intel. His Christmas cards every year would be a P-51 with the history on it. Blue skies Dick, you will be missed.

Lynn
Last edited by Lynn Allen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:45 am

I had the pleasure of corresponding with, and meeting Dick Phillups.

Great guy, who is already missed.

Through amd with him, I visited A& P in Anoka, and we had a memorable road trip to meet the Odegaards, and visited the Fargo, ND aviation museum.

A true gentleman.

Descanse en paz, amigo.

Tulio

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:00 am

One great guy. He will be missed.
Helped me when I was doing research on the Canastota Mustangs

Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:59 am

One of the iconic names in the Warbird world. When you heard Dick Phillips, Mustang immediately popped in your head. A sad loss for the community. Adios Sir!

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:19 pm

I met Dick through Mark Howard. What a wealth of knowledge he was. Spent several years at Breckenridge with them. What great days those were....We'll miss you Dick, thanks for your friendship.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 pm

:(

Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:39 pm

Very sad to hear of Dick’s passing. I swapped slides and communication with Dick for many years. I will always treasure a framed gift he gave many years ago. A truly great guy who will me missed.
Post a reply