Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:14 am 

bdk wrote:
This is the way the US Military deals with safety risks:

Thanks for the link, an interesting reading (yes, I didn't read the whole document) : lots of similarities, at least in the general process, with my field of work: computer sciences and project management. Risk, probabilities, impacts, solution, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:52 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Iclo wrote:
bdk wrote:
This is the way the US Military deals with safety risks:

Thanks for the link, an interesting reading (yes, I didn't read the whole document) : lots of similarities, at least in the general process, with my field of work: computer sciences and project management. Risk, probabilities, impacts, solution, etc.
It is a lot of information to absorb!

There are a few aspects to this:

1. Identifying the risks and their severity
2. Determining what corrective actions can be done to reduce those risks
3. Prioritizing the risks (which ones are mandatory and affordable)
4. Implementing corrective actions

Of course the team might have done all this. There are always unidentified risks or scenarios which are considered of low likelihood but still happen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Let's not over analyse this.
Setting land or water speed records has always been dangerous.
Remember Frank Lockhart and Donald Campbell?

I assume Jessi, her team and family knew the history of the attempts and the risks.

Seems like a high price for a line in record books.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:52 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

JohnB wrote:
Let's not over analyse this.
This is the internet, right? :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Skipping the cliche’s of “ She died doing what she loved” and she made the ultimate sacrifice for the sport” , or “ she died with a smile on her face” or “ the benefits outweigh the risks.” Really?

I have flown a lot of high net worth , famous, and important people. When they reach a certain value they aren’t allowed to ride in a plane single pilot. Their insurance requires a second approved pilot. One guy o fly used to race Indy cars. His insurance company and his record label company won’t allow him to get on the track anymore.
This to say I’m surprised Jesse’s boyfriend, family, manager, t.v. Producer, publicist , agent, etc. approved of their star risking and losing her life. You notice Dale Earnhardt Jr. , Danica Patrick, etc. don’t risk their lives anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

An ejection seat, even if a 0/0 seat could have gotten her out of the crash before it rolled past the seat's ability to correct for the spin, wouldn't have done anything for her if the crash happened faster than her speed in grabbing the handles and tugging on them. Going that fast, things go bad even faster and it's likely she didn't even have time to do anything but have her brain start to consider that something bad was going to happen, then a split second later - gone. :(
It's just silly to think that any kind of ejection seat could have saved her. There's a reason why airplanes have them because in more than a few cases, you have the potential of realizing, "Oh, this bird is going down, gotta hit the silk" and then tugging the handles. Zipping along the ground at hundreds of miles an hour, you're already in the crash before your mind can grasp that it's happening. Ask anyone who's been in a normal car crash, if they saw it coming at all, they didn't have time to grasp what was happening to do anything about it. Think it's any easier at 300+ MPH faster?
marine air wrote:
Skipping the cliche’s of “ She died doing what she loved” and she made the ultimate sacrifice for the sport” , or “ she died with a smile on her face” or “ the benefits outweigh the risks.” Really?
That's just what the survivors say to make themselves feel better about the loss. I've been with people who died doing what they love as it happened on a couple of occasions. I can promise you all, none went out with a smile on their face or their last words were anything like, "It was worth it..."

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/cau ... ocid=ientp

Phil