Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

“[Bob Hoover is the] greatest stick-and-rudder pilot who ever lived”
-Lt. Gen. James Doolittle

You can't get a better endorsement than that!

I met him on a commercial flight once. I recognized his hat right away. He was in first class with me (I was there on Army business but not in uniform) and I walked over and asked if he was who I thought. He said, "Yep, I don't get recognized outside of airshows much, though!" We chatted for a few minutes and then I thought I might be pestering the man (though not form any indication I got form him), so I thanked him for his time and went back to my seat. But in that short time, I had his full attention. I was shocked years later to read how close he'd come to making the historic Mach 1 flight with the X1 instead of Yeager.
Such a class-act, that man. I never got to see him fly in person, though.
God speed, sir!

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:25 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pvG_ZSnCc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Someone I know sent me this email a bit ago.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in the Fall of 1963 while a member of the GCI team while at the
Fighter Weapons Meet (William Tell) with the 59th FIS from Goose Bay, Labrador, TDY to Tyndall
AFB, FL. Being a lowly 3 striper (E-4) he gave the 5 man GCI team a great walk-around of N-51PA.
his bright yellow P-51 that was there for daily demos. Our GCI team consisted of 5 people, a Major,
a Captain, a 1Lt, a S/SGT and me, the lowly A1C. We arranged for him to visit the GCI control room
the following day as he was curious how we did what we did. The next day, after his afternoon demo,
he saw us on the ramp and walked towards us. He asked all of us how were could sit in one place
and determine how to compute where to place the fighters to make a good missile launch to actually
hit a target jinking about the sky at .8 trying to hit the Q-2C target drone. He added that it was too
much math to deal with and the confines of our work space was too dark and way too much noise
and being stuck looking at a radar scope.

The dictionary should show his picture twice. One in the definition pertaining to a PILOT and the
other under the listing as A TRUE GENTLEMAN. He was truly a remarkable individual.

Here is a pretty good article....

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2016/1 ... ead-at-94/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 pm 

Bang the drum slowly today people , for the greatest pilot in the history of mankind is gone . Mr R. A. Bob Hoover has passed away at the age of 94. His passing marks the beginning of the end of an era of pilots that came from the"Greatest Generation" .
Yes there are still some of them around but not of his calibre. Even Chuck Yeager alluded to Mr Hoover being better than him. Its a cliche I know, but they dont make them like this anymore. Ask yourself who is the "Bob Hoover" of this century ? I've been in aviation all my life and I can't name one.
However , in spite of that , he carried himself with a great warmth, modesty and humility, traits that are often rare among "A" personality pilots.
He set the benchmark that so many pilots after him sought to achieve . I'm afraid none of us have even come close to that mark. He will be sadly missed by later generations of pilots that came after him and his absence at Airventure , the worlds greatest yearly aviation event will be felt greatly by all.
On another note; Aviation is known to have more than a few ego heavy personalities in it . Guys that walk big and think they are, as Pancho Barnes said "Sh^thot Pilots " (lol) It has always amazed me that all these HOTDOGS turned to mush and bowed when Mr Hoover was in their midst . Very telling of who the man was isnt it. ?

Happy Landings Mr Hoover and thank you

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:48 pm 

Lets not morn this man he broke all rules no1 THERE ARE NO OLD BOLD PILOTS. Hope they got a good bartender up there HERES LOOKING AT YOU KID.

Any funeral addys or services

Oh yea the germans want their fw 190 back

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:09 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

When Robin and I flew to OSH in 2013 she was able to wangle us an invitation to the HondaJet hospitality tent through her '99s friends. We had a free dinner and wine, and the Speaker was Bob Hoover. He was very accustomed to the role and spoke smoothly, finishing in less than :10 min, which was perfect. (And during which he had no trouble getting in a good rant against the FAA who'd pulled his medical.) That was fine.

But later some of us adjourned to a campfire, where Bob was seated in a folding-chair, glass of bourbon in one hand and microphone in the other (that led to a small PA beside him), and he told stories for 2 hours. They were great stories. He told them in an old-fashioned southern-gentleman style, wryly, with much self-deprecating humour, no stumbles, like a raconteur from a past age.

We heard about what it was like to escape from prison camp, steal a fighter, get it started, fly it west until the gas ran out, land in a field, then sweet-talk the angry Dutchmen who found him into not shooting him (thinking he was a German fighter pilot). He told us about Muroc in the early days. Aerobatics in the Shrike. Testing the F-100 when it was killing people regularly. Lots of tales...

The firelight animated his face, the words flowed like honey, and we soaked it up, aware that by being there we were connecting with one on the Greats of aviation, who himself had connected with Orville Wright and Doolittle and Lindbergh, and so on.

It was a privilege.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:19 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

First saw you at Hensley/NAS Dallas..amazing! Adios, Bob "Forever Flying" Hoover...Tailwinds...

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:24 pm 

Mr. Hadfield,

I want to thank you for sharing that very touching story. I can relate to your post as we always enjoyed priming-the-"flying-stories"-pump on our former employer. It took a couple Bud Lights to get him going, but once he got started, there was an electricity in the air as he had our complete and total attention with his colorful, articulate, drawling sense of humor. He had such a way with words that it made his flying experiences literally come to life right there at the table. Sadly, he passed away too; your story really struck a chord...I can relate completely...

I saw Mr. Hoover perform in Billings Montana in 1988, when I was 12. He had the Shrike and the Sabreliner. Old enough to be in complete awe of his magical performance, but too young to know very much about the man himself, seeing him walk across the ramp after his performance, in his straw hat, is forever etched into my memory.

I always hoped I could see him again and shake his hand.

Craig Stebbins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:00 am 

Ah...the memories...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:21 pm 

Among my treasured slides is one of Bob taxiing by during a visit to Edwards AFB in 1969.
He was wearing his customary short sleeve white shirt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:17 pm 

an absolute aviation legend and a stand up guy.

Saw him quite a few times as a kid in P-51, F-86 and his famous Shrike, I still remember saying "holy sugar" when he cut his engines in a high speed pass, did a loop, slow roll and wobbled down on 1 wheel then yawed to the other ... Landed, fired the engines back up and taxied over to his parking spot.
I could not believe that was part of the show, it was - And flying like that will never again be performed or witnessed by anyone at any airshow.

What a guy, how many guys can say that they escaped German captivity and stole a FW-190 and flew it to freedom ? Only 1is my guess, RIP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:26 pm 

I'm shocked and saddened. I saw him perform many many years ago when they had airshows at Paine field in Everett Wa.
Read his book years ago too. He was my favorite. I remember a TV news caster went for a ride with him and he would pour a cup of tea during the roll. I would have loved to go flying with him.

this can be deleted

Last edited by exhaustgases on Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

this was a repeat

Last edited by exhaustgases on Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:19 am 

Bob Hoover Celebration of Life :spit

A celebration of Bob Hoover’s life will take place on Friday, November 18, 2016 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. PT at Clay Lacy Aviation, 7435 Valjean Avenue, at the Van Nuys Airport in California.

Organizers expect a strong response from people interested in attending this event and attendance will be limited. An RSVP is requested and strongly encouraged at https://bobhoover.eventbrite.com by Thursday, November 10.

Sean D. Tucker and Danny Clisham will serve as the master of ceremonies - and the event will culminate with a series of flyovers and a missing-man formation to honor Hoover.

The organizers would like to thank Joe Clark, Dan Drohan, David Ellison, Harrison Ford, Tracy Forrest, Mike Herman, Lynn Krogh, Terry Lutz, Dallas Price, David Price, Bill Fanning and Bob Wilson for their generous contributions to begin to cover the expenses of this event and welcome any additional support.

If you have any special contributions for this event, please reach out to Kim Furst or Karl Koeppen at bobhooverevent@gmail.com.

Thank you,

Kim Furst
Producer/Director
Flying the Feathered Edge: The Bob Hoover Project