Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:05 pm 

Local veteran Ike Farrar is mourning the loss of his friend John Ross of Manchester, who died Aug. 6 of cancer.

"He was one of the most decorated pilots of World War II," said Farrar in a hand-written remembrance. "He flew 96 missions, [was] shot down three times, spent 24 hours in [the] North Sea when they said 30 minutes was all anyone could stand due to chill."

Spy missions

Ross plew the P-38 spy plane during the war, and the reconnaissance he provided helped win the Battle of the Bulge. He was interviewed by a production company for what was intended to be a documentary about his life; the documentary's web site, however, does not appear to have been updated since last October.

Ross flew some missions with Francis Gary Powers, who would later be the focus of an international incident when his U2 spy plane was shot down over the Soviet Union.

Ross's P-38 was one of several sent out to determine the location of German troops prior to what became known as the Battle of the Bulge. Only Ross's plane returned, and he defied bad weather to land the plane so that its critical photography could be sent to the Generals.

Landmarks

Ross's reconaissance flights also helped Allied bombers distinguish between military targets and cultural landmarks such as cathedrals which the Allies sought to avoid when possible.

Ross eventually settled in Manchester. Farrar said he was a regular guest at Flat Creek Community Club events whenever there was country or bluegrass music as a program. Ross was also grand marshal of the Bedford County Veterans Day parade in 2000.

Posted: http://www.t-g.com/story/1993676.html

Article about him:

John Ross is a Living Legend – an American Hero
Teila Tankersley
Teila Tankersley, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Jul 2, 2012 "Share your voice on Yahoo! websites. Start Here."

More:
American Hero
American Heroes

FlagPost a comment
As many of you know, I enjoy writing about real people who are making a difference, so when I heard about John Ross, I was very excited. John Ross is an incredible man with an amazing story. He is none less than an American Hero.

If his name sounds familiar it might be because he is one of the oldest living World War II Veterans. John Ross's story is remarkable. He was born in 1919, and at age 11 after his father died he was left to help provide for his family. He survived by hopping freight trains as a boy and as he got older he went on to fly clandestine missions as a pilot in WWII.

Worker Studio animator/director/writer Michael "Ffish" Hemschoot has described Ross as, "a radical and a revolutionary." Hemschoot dream is to produce a 3D-animation documentary of the life of John Ross. It is a documentary that I can't wait to see. I've always been intrigued with Word War II and with its Hero's and it doesn't get any better than this.

Ross spent time as a P-38 Reconnaissance pilot, and he flew 96 missions over Europe. Shot down three times and presumed dead, Ross went on to become one of the most decorated US Army Air Corps pilots during WWII. Aside from being a World War II Veteran and celebrated hero, John Ross also stepped in the ring as a boxer. It is that fighting spirit that has always kept him alive.

In June of 2012, I learned that Parker-based Worker Studio and Travelin' Productions were planning to create a live-action, 3D-animation documentary film on this remarkable self-made man. While "John Ross: American" is the company's first venture (They've actually have another feature film in development and have shown short films at Film Festivals) it is without a doubt a project that I am excited about. If all goes well their plans are to do a television series, covering more of John's extraordinary life.

John Ross is will turn 94 years old this year and he is still full of life and spunk, I can't wait to see the film, but right now Worker Studio and Travelin' Productions are still in phase one of this endeavor. They are currently trying to raise at least $25,000. With that they will be able to thoroughly document John's life.

What makes this project even more alluring is that anyone can help tell John's story. It is a crowd funding project which means ordinary citizens can make monetary contributions in exchange for a variety of perks, such as film credits or even having their likeness animated alongside Ross in the film. This is fitting because the War itself was Crowd Funded through Bonds and public contributions. It is interesting that they are using the same process to tell the story of man who fought in the war. It is projects like this that help to preserve our history. John Ross is an American Hero with an exciting story to share.

I am very supportive of this endeavor and think it is wonderful that ordinary citizen's like you and I can help get this 3D-animation documentary off the ground.

If you would like to hear more about John Ross or about the Documentary Project check out their website: http://johnrossamerican.wordpress.com/2 ... -american/)