Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I lost my next door neighbor and dear friend last week. I first met CB ten years ago after purchasing our home in a fly-in community. He started flying at a young age and was consumed by all things aviation. His older cousin, George McMillan, was an AVG Flying Tiger and I loved when CB would recall the time George barnstormed the town in a P-36. I learned that CB volunteered for the Aviation Cadets and pilot training in WWII. As the war drew to a close, his pilot class was reassigned for mechanic training. CB spent time as a B-24 Crew Chief in the Florida panhandle until the war ended. He worked for Delta Air Lines as a mechanic and also stayed involved with the Reserve as an A-26 Invader Crew Chief. In the early 50's, he was called to active duty and flew as KB-29 Flight Engineer with SAC's 55th Wing at Ramey AB. The bulk of his time was spent TDY to Mildenhall England, supporting the then-secret RB-50 reconnaissance flights over the USSR at the start of the Cold War. His unit pioneered the early "grapple and hose" method of air refueling that few are familiar with. Despite the extremely hazardous nature of these long duration, foul weather, low level missions over the North Sea, CB always shrugged it off as "just doing his job". He then had the opportunity to join Eastern Air Lines as a Flight Engineer and later serve as First Officer and Captain. As I recall, his airline career included: DC-6/7, Super Constellation, Electra, DC-9, and 727 ... he held a tremendous pride in The Great Silver Fleet. He also maintained a lifetime involvement with General Aviation, including sailplanes; his last two aircraft being a much loved Cessna 180 and a Bellanca Citabria. He had the rare honor recently to be recognized with both the FAA's Wright Brothers Master Pilot and Master Mechanic Awards. You could say that he was active in one aspect of aviation or another for nearly 70 years. Outside of aviation, he pursued a wide variety of interests including shooting/hunting, camping, yard care, travel ... more than can be summed up here. One of his passions was maintaining the family farm & property where he grew up. Not a day passed that CB didn't seem busy taking care of something and I always admired, and even envied, his energy and work ethic at 85.

CB was a great friend, mentor, and sounding board. Over the years, he and his wife Miriam became not only surrogate grandparents, but genuine friends to my wife and me. I've lost track of the number of questions he's fielded on everything from aviation history, lawn care, aircraft maintenance, airlines, marksmanship, and family. He was never too busy to stop to talk with me and I never doubted that he really listened and cared. I know his love of aviation was only surpassed by his love of family. His attention to detail in the way he approached everything reminded me a lot of my own grandfather and father; no doubt one reason we got along so well. I will miss walking over to see how his last flight went, I will miss waving as we pass each other on our lawn mowers on a beautiful summer afternoon, and I am sad to know that I can't go learn more from, and share stories with, my dear friend.

Blue skies and tailwinds, CB, you will be missed!

CB graciously spoke to IFR Magazine in 2009 for their podcast on old time IFR. He and two other veterans can be heard here:

http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/Au ... 682-1.html

From the Williams Funeral Home, "Captain Charles Bartlett “C.B.” Howard, Jr., age 85, of Locust Grove passed away on Wednesday, March 21, 2012. C.B. was born in Griffin, Georgia on April 22nd, 1926 and was the son of the late Lt Col Charlie and Lucy Howard from Barnesville, Georgia. He grew up on the family farm near Howard Road, which was named after his Grandparents, Samuel Morgan Howard and Almeda Swann Howard. He attended Gordon Military College, and during the middle of World War II enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps Reserve as an aviation cadet serving as a crew chief and flight crew mechanic on B-24D, B-26, and B-29 aircraft. Later, recalled to active duty while in the Air Force reserves, C.B.was called to the Korean conflict serving in the Strategic Air Command flying air combat missions on B-29 aircraft. His love of flying continued being employed flying for 32 years with Eastern Air Lines. He met the love of his life in High School, Miss Miriam Francis Whitten, daughter of the late Mamie and Robert E. Whitten also from Barnesville, Georgia

Survivors include his beloved wife of 66 years Miriam Whitten Howard ; daughter and son-in-law Susan and Jim Schoedinger of Castle Rock, Colorado ; son and daughter-in-law Chuck and Ashley Howard of Smyrna, Georgia ; Granddaughter and grandson- in-law Mandy and Jim Sandrock of Dunwoody ; Georgia and Granddaughter Austin Howard of Smyrna, Georgia ; Great-Granddaughter Ella Sandrock and Great-Grandson Nolan Sandrock.

A Memorial Service is planned for April, details to be announced."

Last edited by Ken on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:21 pm 

A true friend and mentor.

Blue skies and tailwinds CB, you will be missed!

Condolences to Miriam and family.

Sully