Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:19 am 
Account Suspended

23 May: A 1972 Nanchang CJ-6, N81817, was involved in a formation mid-air collision with a RV-8 homebuilt aircraft in Decatur, Alabama, while participating in a flyby. The CJ-6 pilot safely returned for a landing.

The pilot of the RV-8 was killed.

Steve Raddatz was the pilot.

Anyone know who this was?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:48 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Here's a little more detail of the story from the Red Star Pilots Association...

SAFETY BULLETIN

Sadly over this Memorial Day weekend another tragic accident has cast a shadow over our community of dedicated aviators. At approximately 1300 CST on May 23rd 2009, two aircraft collided over Decatur Alabama resulting in the destruction of one aircraft and the tragic death of its pilot. Our hearts and prayers are with all involved.

One of the Red Star Pilots Association’s finest pilots was conducting a single ship photo pass at the airport in his CJ-6 aircraft. After clearing the area and inquiring as to the location of his friend who was airborne in an RV-8, he received a radio confirmation that the RV-8 was clear and at his six o’clock. It is reported that on the turn to downwind the pilot of the RV-8 (who was not F.A.S.T. rated) attempted and un-briefed join-up on the outside of the turn. This was done without the knowledge or consent of the CJ-6 pilot. Observers on the ground estimated that the overtake speed was approximately 80 KTS. The RV-8 struck the right wing of the CJ-6. The wing of the RV-8 separated from the aircraft. The RV-8 plummeted to the ground and disintegrated on the nearby college campus killing the pilot upon impact.

The pilot of the CJ-6 did an extraordinary job of regaining control of his aircraft and affecting a successful landing. The CJ-6 will fly again as will our brother in the RPA. The stinging sense of loss and the recognition that this was avoidable will remain with him and the rest of us. After we finish mourning for the fellow aviator that we have lost and after we comfort his family it will be time to step back and look at ourselves. One loss is too many.

You can expect an expanded emphasis upon safety and training throughout the RPA. You will see it in E-coms. You will see it in Red Alert. You will experience it in our clinics, our briefs and in every flight. What we all love to do ceases to be fun when we begin to destroy aircraft and lose good friends as a result of our actions or inaction. Complacency, inattention to detail, shortcutting good practices, lack of preparation and abandoning long established procedures have no place in a “Culture of Excellence”.

Darrell Gary

“Condor”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My first Beech 18 ride ended after three minutes for a similar reason. I got invited to ride right seat in an SNB at Tullahoma during the annual Staggerwing/ Beech convention. A local CFI in a borrowed Baron pulled up on our right wing in very tight fromation. He wasn't on the radio, hadn't briefed, and was in so tight he was struggling to maintain his distance. The owner/ pilot of the SNB-5 wisely swung around back into the pattern and landed in order to ditch the guy. He said he had never met the guy and the guy obviuosly didn't know what he was doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
Pilot speaks out about fatal crash

By Russ Corey & Mike Goens
Of the TimesDaily

Published: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 6:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, June 1, 2009 at 10:38 p.m.
B.J. Kennamore said he knew immediately his airplane had been hit and he was in trouble.

Pilot B.J. Kennamore, of Tuscumbia, prepares his aircraft for an afternoon flight in this June 30, 2007, photo. Kennamore was involved in a plane crash that killed Steve Raddatz two weeks ago.

Kennamore and Raddatz left Big River Airpark, a private airfield near their homes in Muscle Shoals, just after 1 p.m.

There were "visual meteorological conditions."

Before departing the airport in Decatur, both pilots planned to perform maneuvers while spectators on the ground took photographs.

The pilots did not preplan any formation flying.

Raddatz' plane left first and performed some aerobatic maneuvers before Kennamore's plane left the runway.

With both planes airborne, Raddatz' RV-8 attempted to fly in formation with Kennamore's Nanchang China CJ-6A during a low pass over the airport.

The RV-8 began to overtake the CJ-6A, while the pilot of the RV-8 announced his relative position over the common traffic advisory frequency.

The pilot of the CJ-6A did not realize how close the RV-8 was, and began a climbing right turn.

As the RV-8 overtook the CJ-6A from left to right, the left wing of the RV-8 contacted the right wing of the CJ-6A.

The left wing of the RV-8 partially separated; the plane descended uncontrolled and impacted the ground.

Raddatz, 41, had 769 hours of total flight experience while Kennamore had logged 3,600 hours.

Both pilots held private pilot's certificates.

Both planes were equipped with hand-held global positioning systems which were forwarded to the NTSB Vehicle Recorders Laboratory in Washington, D.C., for data download.

Source: National Transportation Safety Board

His first thought was getting the aircraft under control and doing whatever it took to land safely.

Kennamore's airplane was suddenly upside down on that early afternoon flight May 23. That's when he saw the other aircraft involved in the mid-air collision over Pryor Field near Decatur.

"I remember saying, 'Oh God, it's Steve.' "

Kennamore was referring to longtime friend and fellow pilot Steve Raddatz.

"When it's one of your very best friends and you know the outcome isn't going to be good, it's horrifying," Kennamore said.

Raddatz, with the left wing separated from his aircraft, was unable to regain control. Kennamore said he watched helplessly as his friend crashed in a grassy area near the landing field at Calhoun Community College. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Kennamore managed to land safely and suffered minor physical injuries. He said the "horrible tragedy" won't likely leave his mind, though.

"I thought a million times about what I could have done differently," he said. "There's not anything. We were just not on the same page of music."

The National Transportation Safety Board has issued a preliminary finding of facts on the crash. Blame was not assigned in the report.

Kennamore discussed the collision Monday, 15 days after he lost his Colbert County neighbor.

"It was horrible to see Steve's plane in a roll," he said. "It's hard to put into words.

"I count myself extremely fortunate to be here. When you look at my aircraft afterward, it doesn't look like it would have been flyable. It was extremely close to ending up differently for me, too."

Kennamore and Raddatz flew from the Muscle Shoals airport to participate in an open house of the new terminal at Pryor Field.

Kennamore, with more than 3,600 hours of flight experience since he started flying airplanes in 1980, said he and Raddatz had no plans to do aerial stunts as some media outlets have reported.

The safety board's report indicates both pilots, before departing the airport, planned to perform maneuvers while spectators on the ground took photographs. They did not preplan any formation flying, according to the NTSB report.

"Steve said he had gotten a call from home and was planning to leave," Kennamore said. "He asked me if I wanted him to stay so we could go back (to Muscle Shoals) together. His plane was so much faster than mine, I just told him to go on and I would be leaving shortly."

Kennamore said Raddatz was already walking to his airplane "when a photographer asked me if I would mind doing some fly-bys. I agreed to do two."

Kennamore said he got on the radio to alert other airplanes in the area that he would be in the flight pattern around the airport to do two passes.

"I'm sure Steve heard the announcement," he said. "I never talked to Steve but he may have thought he would come around and be part of the photo deal.

"As I was coming around for my first pass, it appears Steve was shadowing me. There are certain things you have to say when you're flying in formation, and I never heard anything from Steve or anyone else. I really thought Steve would have been half an airport away."

Kennamore said he was in a right turn in preparation for his first pass of the airport. He said he had no idea anyone would be close.

"I never saw him before we collided," he said. "I felt the impact and it knocked me almost inverted. That's when I looked below and saw Steve rolling."

He said it's unlikely anyone will know for sure what Raddatz was thinking, "but I figure he was just planning to come around at the same time and he miscalculated the closure speed because his plane was so much faster than mine."

Kennamore, 59, said he doesn't know what the plan is at the moment, but he knows there is one for him.

"I don't know what God has planned for me, but there must be something else," he said.

Kennamore hasn't gone back in the air since the collision, but said it's only a matter of time before he does.

He said flying is one of the safest modes of transportation and it's proved often because it's a big deal when something goes wrong.

He said Raddatz had a similar view about aviation and wouldn't want the accident to stain aviation's image.

"All my flying had been fulfilling and satisfying," Kennamore said. "Aviation is a big part of my life and it has a lot to do with who I am and what I do.

"You have to do a self-assessment before you fly. You've got to make sure the aircraft is mechanically sound and you've got to make sure you are mentally sound to fly. I'm sure I will think about this the next time I go up, but I really don't think I'll be scared or nervous. This was a terribly unfortunate thing and I lost a dear friend. It has been a tough thing to go through."

Found it here:
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20090 ... atal-crash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:37 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Great article and very well spoken by Mr. Kennamore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:06 am 
Account Suspended

Nice.

Thanks for posting!