Switch to full style
If you are new to the forums I would suggest visiting this section first, especially if you would like to join the community
Post a reply

New on Here - John Hornbeck

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:37 pm

It appears that it has been a while since anyone has posted to the introductions thread, so I'll be relatively brief here. Aanyone who wants to know more, please just reach out to me.

My father-in-law was Roy Shenkel. He passed away just this past August at the age of 96.

He was a Right Waist Gunner in a B-17, 463rd Bonb Group, stationed in Foggia, Italy. On April 6, 1944 he was on a mission in the "Jersey Mosquito" -- a bombing run targeting rail yards in Zagreb, Yugoslavia. He parachuted to an area near Maribor, was captured by Germans, and spent 13 months as a POW. This included time at Graz (or Gratz) Hospital, at the interrogation facility at Oberursel, the transit camp in Wetzler, Stalag Luft IV and Stalag Luft I.

I am in the process of writing a book about his experiences. I am working with a local veterans' writing group here in Kansas City. I had extensive conversations with him, have numerous video interviews from different sources, his own written accounts, and a variety of memorabilia. Would welcome contact with anyone with additional information. This could include others who were in those two camps around the same period or who have related information.

As I said, very open to sharing with others. But don't want to ramble on here. Thanks.

John Hornbeck

Re: New on Here - John Hornbeck

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:45 pm

Welcome to WIX John.
Post a reply