Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: FNG...
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 am 

Hello. I heard about this site through "Warbird Radio", listening to the "Scale Modeling Hour" with Gerry. So, yes, I'm a model geek and military history nerd!

I'm a retired USN P-3 Flight Engineer and currently work as a DoD contractor as a tech writer for the P-3 & EP-3E in the NAS Pax River area. During my Navy tour I turned wrenches on E-2Cs also crewed on the C-2 for a short time and the E-6B TACAMO aircraft. Somewhere in the middle, I was out of the service for sometime and worked as an A&P on various commercial "heavies" but primarily DC-10s and B727 for FedEx.

My interest in aircraft and WWII aircraft in particular goes back to when I can't even remember, it rubbed off from my dad who also had an interest. Growing up in the Boston area (not exactly a hotbed for WWII aircraft restoration) we traveled to airshows frequently and always had a subscription to Air Classics! Somewhere in the mid 80s there was a group, "The New England Escadrille" that started up around the time the Collins Foundation began flying "Nine-O-Nine" and the B-24 "All American". For a few years they did a great Warbird airshow up at Manchester airport in NH. I think they disbanded about the time I left for the Navy?

I'd like to get into working with vintage aircraft but the nearest activities are the CAF (it'll always be the Confederate Air Force to me, even if I am a "Yankee") in VA about 3 hrs from me or the Fighter Factory/MAM in Virginia Beach...though I do make it a point to get down to their show each year, which is growing into one of the best on the east coast!

I enjoy keeping abreast of what's happening in the Warbird community and this site seems to be the place to come. Happy to be aboard.

Andrew White